British Modular System - the initial ideas and debates

Andy Y

End PLates? Why? Why?

I didn't see a single end-plate to end-plate gubbins at Carn Brae [i know, I've only seen one such set-up, it's getting repetitious, but I'd rather talk from the viewpoint of what I KNOW works rather than drip feed various 'what-if's']. Gravity did a pretty good job of holding modules down [it's freely available and non-gauge specific...] and the little 4" 'connectors' worked just fine.

'Stubby' of this parish did, however, lose a lot of weight running up and down alongside an electric train thingy until all the wedges, etc were in place, then two days of very happy playing by the 'modulators'.

A lot of RMWeb members are very modelling savvy and I am often in awe of the standards they reach, but this idea of Andy's ain't about perfection.

Quote Kenton

I suggest we should be starting local and aiming for national. Forget international as we are trying to fly before we can even crawl. That is not saying I think the simple basic standards should be local - I am not - just that the standards should be SIMPLE, ESSENTIAL and most important MINIMAL. Or this whole laudable effort in bringing folk together for what is supposed to fun is simply going to fail with just the usual suspects participating.

As Kenton has said, keep it simple to start with, we need 'local' [in the terms of a forum with thousands of members] before we can contemplate 'national'. By way of illustration I enclose a copy of an early version of leonard Da Vinci's 'Mona Lisa', it did get better, apparently.

post-106-0-03432500-1405692133.jpg

Edited by Chubber

I could stick with the height of my adjusted legs for the Freemo boards

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? If the legs are adjustable for height then does the actual height really matter - they are adjustable.

So within a certain range (and as long as board No 1 to be setup does not start at one end of the range) then any module will be accepted - all we need is a standard height (floor to rail head) and a reasonably large adjustment range. So what are the FREMO values for these as a starting point?

Edited by Kenton

Whereas with the various modular concepts, you build "your bit" and then tack other people's "bits" to each end,

and if I understand it correctly, much of the time is spent watching trains going by, or waiting for a train to approach your particular section where it may pass another train or gain/lose some wagons.  Then it passes from "your bit of the world" to someone else's and then you wait for the next movement.

Perhaps some of the objections and ill feelings among some of the Brits here are just caused by a bit of misunderstanding of some of the fundamental concepts underlying the modular systems/clubs that have been successful.

I suppose one could, in principle, operate a modular layout the way it is described above.  I don't think I would want to take part, because it doesn't seem to be a lot of fun.

The key concept that seems to make a modular system successful, and that differs from how some Brits seem to think about it, is to let go of the possessive attitude towards "*my* modules" and "*my* trains".

To make it work, you operate the entire thing as a group.  How exactly things are run depend on the operational model you choose, of course, but let's take a typical FREMO meeting as an example.

During a weekend, we run several sessions that simulate a day, which, at 5:1 or 6:1 time takes a few hours.  For every session, we start by handing out station duties.  Some people may elect to run their own station, but they don't have to, and larger stations are often run by several people.  Basically, it's a bit of an auction: "Who wants to run Chesterfield?" "Ok, John is Chesterfield this time.  Need a shunter?" "Ok, Mark is shunter at Chesterfield.".  Some stations need a bit of instruction, so arrangements are made with the owner to learn the ropes before you take on the job.  Once all stations are manned, everybody else gets to run trains (or chat at the bar...).  In principle, you just pick the first next train on the pile, and let yourself be surprised by what you get to do this time, but if you have a specific preference, you just hang around at the table until an interesting train is at the top of the pile...

If you run a train, you walk up to the departure station, get handed the controller of the train you are running, and then you walk along the layout, following your train, until at the final destination you hand off the controller to the local station master.  You may get to do some shunting along the way to drop off or pick up wagons.

Running a station means setting signals, communicating with neighboring stations to accept incoming trains and get outgoing trains accepted, making sure trains end up at the right track/platform, organizing the shunting of goods trains, and making sure trains can leave more or less on time (the Dutch are typically way less rigid about following the schedule to the minute than the Germans usually are, so there's a lot of regional variation here... :-))

In most cases, you will not be able to easily identify "*your*" bit of layout, as your modules are spread out all over, except of course for big stations and module clusters that have been explicitly built as a unit, and only if you brought a multiple-unit or a specific rake of wagons will you be able to spot "*your*" train.  Most engines and wagons just go into the pool.

So it is quite fundamentally *not* a simple case of bringing *your* bit of layout, tacking other people's bits on at each end, and then sit down at your bit of layout and wait for a train to arrive at your bit so you can operate it for a while (and be disappointed that it is not your favorite train) until you pass it on to the next lad.  That would be way boring and won't do much to foster a sense of "being part of the club".

Of course, the above is just an example based on FREMO practice, and if you want to do it differently, that is possible.  But I think the bit about letting go of the possessiveness and functioning as a group is a key part to making it a success.

Willem

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? If the legs are adjustable for height then does the actual height really matter - they are adjustable.

They are to put the track height 45" +/- half an inch, to cope with variations in floor (and/or your neighbors build tolerances!).

End PLates? Why? Why?

I didn't see a single end-plate to end-plate gubbins at Carn Brae [i know, I've only seen one such set-up, it's getting repetitious, but I'd rather talk from the viewpoint of what I KNOW works rather than drip feed various 'what-if's']. Gravity did a pretty good job of holding modules down [it's freely available and non-gauge specific...] and the little 4" 'connectors' worked just fine.

If you're going to clamp your modules together (see Kenton's post) then what are you clamping if the module has no end?

If you don't fix them at all, what prevents them from moving out of alignment?

Believe it or not, the occasional one of us other posters is also talking from a position of experience and not "what if". :scratchhead:

• Like 1

As a 'kit' person I have a solution for those that are too precious to run by others - simply don't bring it. I'm sure I can find some cheap RTR box (even a diesel*) that can be allowed to trundle away into the distant yards of never-never land. Or just turn up with no stock, as I am sure others may turn up with too much or even no layout module.

Damn, this bloke seems to have appropriated more than his fair share of common sense.....I wonder if he like pilchard and blue cheese sandwiches [i do...]?

If you're going to clamp your modules together (see Kenton's post) then what are you clamping if the module has no end?

I think the discussion is about "different profiles of end board" rather than a plain rectangular piece of whatever wood is used?  We've seen in the Fremo pictures several different end profiles which I can see the benefits, and problems. of.  It would make assembling a modular layout a bit like a game of dominoes if you're trying to make different ends match in different places.

• RMweb Gold

I thing roundhouse meant that his layout started at a lower height and he modifed (adjusted) the legs to Freemo standard by adding extensions when he 'moduled' it

Yes correct. I should have been a bit clearer in my post.

Yes I could do a different height extensions but that just adds to the chance of taking the wrong ones!!

I am pretty sure that I am not alone wanting to do UK and US modules but yes we will probably be in the minority.

Ian

If you don't fix them at all, what prevents them from moving out of alignment?

Believe it or not, the occasional one of us other posters is also talking from a position of experience and not "what if". :scratchhead:

Chubber is talking from his experience of this modular format which has little bridges between modules  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=94842

Edited by Talltim

I think the discussion is about "different profiles of end board" rather than a plain rectangular piece of whatever wood is used?  We've seen in the Fremo pictures several different end profiles which I can see the benefits, and problems. of.  It would make assembling a modular layout a bit like a game of dominoes if you're trying to make different ends match in different places.

Is it? I just keep seeing folk say we shouldn't have them!

I can well understand you don't want too much variety (we have just one - at least so far) - especially in starting.

Possibly we have assorted people arguing things at cross purposes - this bit below seems to suggest that some are arguing we don't need them because the boards will not join up with each other anyhow.

Chubber is talking from the experience of this modular format which has little bridge between modules  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=94842

Thanks Tim

That would however be something totally different, abandoning any attempt at continuous scenery then?

Nothing at all like the vision in the OP?

They are to put the track height 45" +/- half an inch, to cope with variations in floor (and/or your neighbors build tolerances!).

Thanks - a bit of information to work with ... at last.

I can do 45" (in fact I can do any height - but have no intention of suggesting anything else) so I guess what ever the standard height is - I can do and suspect most others could as well.

+/= half inch seems to be far too narrow a specification. However, if that is clearly the minimum adjustment required then I can also work with that - the fact that my stumps are/will be adjustable over a much wider range just gives me an advantage.

So my board will join up with a FREEMO board - at least in terms of height. Now what else was essential? ;)

My track is PECO - that's OO gauge not HO gauge - the Code is irrelevant and (it can end with 3 copperclad sleepers*) at 90' to the edge of the board - please say that after 20 pages we all agree on that one :D.

*irrelevant to the next door neighbours - that is just how I do it in my world.

Will your FREEMO module still connect?

[Ed] to replace FREMO with FREEMO are they different - do I really care - does it even matter :no: :no:

Edited by Kenton

I have just read Willem's post above [492] and I am grateful for his explanation of what happens at a typical FREMO meeting. Surely this sort of intimate inter-reaction depends on a settled group of regular attendees, whereas [correct me if I'm wrong] what Herr Andymeister is suggesting is a scheme by which disparate enthusiasts can by arrangement meet at one location, introduce themselves to the oragnisers and fellow modulators...

Me     'Hullo, I'm  Doug, I've brought a two-foot long tunnel with a windmill on top....'

Organiser 'That's great ...[subdued snigger...]...we can put it beside Ebenezer's rhubarb farm...'

During, after, henceforth and later, alliances could be forged, obvious problems solved and hopefully, drink would be taken.

Ebenezer may not make another get together for 12 months as travelling from the wilds of Ongar is fraught, and Doug won't visit U.K. again until the next occasion his bank manager summons him, but they have been and done it.

Some other participants may be entirely underwhelmed by Doug's and Ebenezer's cheerful pragmatic if somewhat beery approach and chose to join Willem's Freemo'ers.

After all, thousands of cyclists are nowhere near the standard of Bradley Wiggins but derive immense pleasure from their hobby by just ridin' round on a bike.

Doug

Doug

• Like 1

I can do 45" (in fact I can do any height - but have no intention of suggesting anything else) so I guess what ever the standard height is - I can do and suspect most others could as well.

+/= half inch seems to be far too narrow a specification. However, if that is clearly the minimum adjustment required then I can also work with that - the fact that my stumps are/will be adjustable over a much wider range just gives me an advantage.

So my board will join up with a FREMO board - at least in terms of height. Now what else was essential? ;)

My track is PECO - that's OO gauge not HO gauge - the Code is irrelevant and (it can end with 3 copperclad sleepers*) at 90' to the edge of the board - please say that after 20 pages we all agree on that one :D.

*irrelevant to the next door neighbours - that is just how I do it in my world.

Will your FREMO module still connect?

The 45" height is Freemo, not Fremo ;-) ignoring that and assuming single track, and a bit of space under the end of the board to get a G clamp in, yes

I have just read Willem's post above [492] and I am grateful for his explanation of what happens at a typical FREMO meeting. Surely this sort of intimate inter-reaction depends on a settled group of regular attendees, whereas [correct me if I'm wrong] what Herr Andymeister is suggesting is a scheme by which disparate enthusiasts can by arrangement meet at one location, introduce themselves to the oragnisers and fellow modulators...

Me     'Hullo, I'm  Doug, I've brought a two-foot long tunnel with a windmill on top....'

Organiser 'That's great ...[subdued snigger...]...we can put it beside Ebenezer's rhubarb farm...'

During, after, henceforth and later, alliances could be forged, obvious problems solved and hopefully, drink would be taken.

Ebenezer may not make another get together for 12 months as travelling from the wilds of Ongar is fraught, and Doug won't visit U.K. again until the next occasion his bank manager summons him, but they have been and done it.

Some other participants may be entirely underwhelmed by Doug's and Ebenezer's cheerful pragmatic if somewhat beery approach and chose to join Willem's Freemo'ers.

After all, thousands of cyclists are nowhere near the standard of Bradley Wiggins but derive immense pleasure from their hobby by just ridin' round on a bike.

Doug

Doug

Ignoring for a moment all the standards, the recent Freemo meet was a disparate group of people, some of whom are regulars here, but other who are not, with many not having met before. It didn't stop the event having a pre-prepared plan of the module layout and people operating in a similar way to Willem described, although without the 'stationmasters'. I believe there was beer too, but I went home before that...

Edited by Talltim

Is it? I just keep seeing folk say we shouldn't have them!

Every layout and baseboard I have ever seen has had an end of some sort - most are designed (at least those with a track that vanishes over the edge end) to connect to a FY or at minimum a cassette system. That end does not incorporate any strange format endplate or even need to have holes drilled in it or even use dowels etc to locate. None of these are a requirement. Just that the end is robust enough to take a G-clamp - mine are/will be.

If my neighbour has some fancy format of end plate it might look odd or end of worldish when it is clamped to mine but that is just aesthetics. Not an essential standard to make it work. Besides as pointed out above the end plate profile will never match. We may as well all go for a flat world (aka the flat plains of the US or Holland rather than some interesting British scenery.

The only thing that is important at the end is that some train sent driven from some far away land can pass through my stationtunnel with a windmill module, perhaps dropping off some wagon in the siding to collect ground flour from the windmill before continuing off the other end/edge of world to some other far away land/module. As long as the operator of the windmill and the driver of the train can have a laugh.

So to answer your point, it isn't a case of shouldn't have them just that they should not be imposed (a standard) on those who don't want them.

Edited by Kenton

Every layout and baseboard I have ever seen has had an end of some sort - most are designed (at least those with a track that vanishes over the edge end) to connect to a FY or at minimum a cassette system. That end does not incorporate any strange format endplate or even need to have holes drilled in it or even use dowels etc to locate. None of these are a requirement. Just that the end is robust enough to take a G-clamp - mine are/will be.

Kenton - what you've just described is pretty much exactly what our spec says - but every time we've mentioned it you keep saying we don't need it!

Your spec does need to say what you need - if your spec says you don't need a board end then you can guarantee that some clever cloggs will turn up with a baseboard with no endplate at all....

Our specs have been linked to at least once, possibly more, up-thread - i've resisted going chapter and verse on them as various folk keep bandying about that folk are trying to impose foreign idea's, yadda yadda, and so on, and so forth... :scratchhead:

Do you want me to go through our spec here, and comment on the bits which to my mind are applicable, and the bits that aren't? I'm happy to do that if you want. So far i'm just getting narked off by trying to help then being accused of all sorts for my time and effort.

There's no attempt at continuous scenery with the Taunton modules, each is distinct, and mine is essentially 'boxed in'.

The 4" bridge rails work fine once in place and all modules are settled. They can, however, be the very devil to fit, and move a module whilst setting up and you can easily disconnect bridge rails two modules down. We try to move down, connecting modules in sequence, but always end up reconnecting some and it's very fiddly, sometimes needing three people, one to hold a connection already made, another to adjust the module and a third to guide in the fishplates.

Next year we're gonna try 'synchronised swimming', probably easier, we just can't agree how sparkly our swimsuits should be....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that Kenton is saying that the shape/profile/width etc of the end is unimportant so doesn't need to be in a standard rather than that you don't need one at all. From a technical point of view he's right, aesthetically not.

Edited by Talltim

Point missed again! All of this is irrelevant. If you want a US or European module to take part in the British Module gathering then it is your strange foreign module that will have to comply with British loading gauges/track/etc. We would never build a British module to European standards. If I wanted to take part in Fremo (or whatever you wish to call it) I would build a US or European module as appropriate and seek out the appropriate standards to comply with it.

This should remain a British solution to the British problem and all others should probably refrain from pouring mud in the pure British waters.

Information and facts on what is done elsewhere is fine but attempting to distort the solution for peculiarities of distinctly foreign agendas should be ignored.

Yes it was covered earlier. Also answered but I can't remember what was decided on.

I think most UK layouts for shows have thrown out the idea of a flexible length of track and connection using fishplates. There may be an issue with DCC in making this connection to variously wired bus, or the damage that can be caused, or simply the scenic gap created. How do you propose the layout is connected at home to my FY - which terminates with copperclad at the edge of the board?

I have no idea where the Code 82 rail comes into it - Does anyone use this for a British model - I thought it was only for foreign layouts. However it is no more of an issue than Code 100 (which is used) as it is the height to top of rail that will be adjusted. Again using a clamp and adjustable legs (or copies of BRM under layouts on tables)

I think you got my point backwards.

I'd love to see a GB modular spec and system (from a distance due to my location - so altruistically for your sakes not mine) . I'm a UK citizen with close family still in the UK and I grew up travelling on, and trying my best to model, GB railways. I still think they look more attractive than my various US models. And I personally run everything on 16.5 mm gauge (but not at the same time) because I don't want to have two layouts.

There are general specs that ALL modules should follow, like height, strong ends, etc., regardless of where they were invented. Changing what works, for the sake of change itself, may not be a good move. Don't interpret such helpful advice as "foreign controlling".

Then there are factors, which if made as additional requirements/specs, would make the new module system inescapably "British" functionally and  cosmetically, but if implemented could make it potentially incompatible with any "foreign" existing modules, should they visit a UK set up or vice versa. Those would include the smaller GB loading gauge,  GB double track spacing and double track "handedness".  Most of those factors could be handled by "adapter" modules, except for the loading gauge.

As to the type of track laid. That is not anything that needs to be specified, since all types that can handle the RTR flange depth should work. What difference the track used does make is again the "Britishness".  Track intended for "HO" use (or 00/HO) does not look "British", to me at least. But a little effort in the hand laying department would fix that. And a single module does not have a ton of track to make. But it's the inconsequential free choice of the modeller, unless someone sticks it in the "GB Module standard" as a requirement.

One particular aspect of "British" track appearance is the curved, "flowing", double track junction. I don't think there are "curved diamonds" in the "popular 00/HO" track range to make that an off the shelf practical reality. So be careful that you do not add "track type" restrictions in your standard that actually work against your "britishness" cosmetics.

As to adding a couple of lines in your standard to make sure optional future OHLE works across modules that choose that style of modelling, well it's all part of the different to the US "britishness" to me. So offered only as a "don't  lock out your britishness options" suggestion. It has no effect on non-OHLE modelling, so no negative aspects to fear whatsoever.

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert

Perhaps it helps people get some idea of what we in FREMO think a modular club is all about if I paint a typical scene at a typical meeting...

Of course, there is a lot of variation in modules.  At a typical H0-Europe meeting there are a few larger stations, several small/tiny stations/halts, and various stretches of single or double track.  Life at a small station is quite a bit more leisurely than at the larger stations.

The most interesting scenes can usually be found at some of the larger stations.  Let me paint a picture:

We have a big station, think 10-12 meters length, some 9 tracks wide, in the center is a slightly stressed station manager trying to keep everything moving.  To the left is the South signalbox man, and to the right is the North signalbox man, and hovering between them is the local shunter.  On the other side of the station are 7 people crowding the narrow gangway.  1 running the express train that is just coming in, 1 running the regional train that is about to leave, 1 of the goods train heading south, 1 of the goods train heading north, 1 waiting to be handed the controller of the local shuttle train that departs from here in 5 minutes, and 2 people making photos and movies.  All of them are chatting, discussing various bits of rolling stock on view, the interesting way that the points were installed on this station, and that the soup isn't as good this year as it used to be.  The goods train people are cooperating with the local shunter to get their wagons exchanged so they can get on with their journey.  Between chatting, they listen with a half ear to the nagging of the station master to get on with things as he has yet another goods train coming in and he needs the tracks free.  The South signalbox man is on the phone with the station master of the next station to the south, explaining that, no, they can't send the next train yet as there isn't any space for it.

Obviously, the station manager won't be doing this all weekend.  Next session, someone else can run this bottleneck and he will enjoy some peace & quiet.

Meanwhile, at a small station on the other side of the layout, the station master is reading his Continental Modeller while enjoying a cup of soup, after he just answered the phone to allow the next train to trundle through.

Willem

Edited by wfk
  • Like 3

Kenton - what you've just described is pretty much exactly what our spec says - but every time we've mentioned it you keep saying we don't need it!

Your spec does need to say what you need - if your spec says you don't need a board end then you can guarantee that some clever cloggs will turn up with a baseboard with no endplate at all....

Our specs have been linked to at least once, possibly more, up-thread - i've resisted going chapter and verse on them as various folk keep bandying about that folk are trying to impose foreign idea's, yadda yadda, and so on, and so forth... :scratchhead:

Links as you may know are useless for me as with downloadable pdfs and the like - they are all suspect no matter what the origin. I see no reason why the simple (if they are that ) could not have been posted here at the start.

There is a big difference between what I term endplate and what I see as a bit of wood at the end of a baseboard.

Endplates seem to me to be something like all those being foisted earlier in the topic and have nothing to do with a requirement just someone trying to foist a style on others. I object to that - not to folk who wish to use it and part of a European group. But it is irrelevant to a discussion on requirements.

If the specification is that modules must have and end of board that can be G-clamped - then that is simple to do and requires nothing special in terms of woodwork or purchase. If someone turns up with a module that cannot be G-clamped then they have missed the simple specification and will be unlikely to be included. (I avoided saying "not" because someone in the collective mass may be able to cobble something together.)

I still feel that we have had 20 pages and are still no further on with the proposal and no offered set of standards.

We are just going round and round in ever expanding circles just like we used to do for the layout challenge I referred to way back in an earlier post.

Way back on Page 1 a list of essentials were proposed but no one came up on an exact definition. Some were entirely unnecessary others were a "nice to have" but not a requirement. Most of them have been repeated over the ensuing pages.

As I've said above I just wish Andy would come up with a firm set of proposals - I could agree or disagree with and then get on with the module or not.

SNIP

As I've said above I just wish Andy would come up with a firm set of proposals - I could agree or disagree with and then get on with the module or not.

Isn't that what the DOGA is for? Why aren't you asking them?

Andy

Links as you may know are useless for me as with downloadable pdfs and the like - they are all suspect no matter what the origin. I see no reason why the simple (if they are that ) could not have been posted here at the start.

Just for paranoid old you (how do you find anything on the internet)?

RSTower/Freemo specs

Module Specifications

Module Requirements

• A module must feature one or more modular ends, modular ends come in two types – see diagram.
    • 18” wide Single track module end – Width of the modular end must be 18”, a single track must be mounted centrally (track centre line 9” from either side) at 90 degrees to the modular end and must continue for 3” straight from the module end. (The 3” of straight track ensures a short straight track between opposing curves on a main line.)
    • 20” wide Double track module end – Width of the modular end must be 20”, two tracks must be mounted at 9” from the nearest side, and 2” track centres. The tracks must be at 90 degrees to the module end and continue for 3” straight from the module end. (The double-track module end allows for longer passing sidings to be created on the single track by combining modules)

Module End Diagram:

moduleends.jpg?w=468&h=135

Module end plan with dimensions

•  On double track modules with curves you may need to enlarge the spacing between tracks within the module to allow proper clearances - see NMRA standard S8  (class Ia) for reccomendations on the amount of clearance needed for large items of rolling stock on a given radius of curve. Don’t forget that you still need to allow for the 3″ of straight track at 2″ centres at each modular end though.
  • Please allow enough clearance for tall cars such as double stack container cars to use any main or through track.
  • Module-sets need to be individually self supporting and must not ‘lean’ on an adjacent module.
  • The end-piece of the module needs to be constructed with sufficient strength to accept the adjacent module being C-Clamped to it.
  • The depth of the module end must be between 3.5″ and 4.5″ deep to allow the adjacent module to be clamped to it by a standard 75mm C-Clamp.
  • At modular ends: Top of rail above ground must be 45” – legs must allow for a ½” variance in either direction by using adjustable feet.
  • Scenery at module ends must be roughly flat with no features (such as roads, rivers or track other than the modular tracks) crossing modular joints.
  • Roadbed thickness at module ends is 1/8th inch thick.

Module Height Diagram:

moduleheight.jpg?w=468&h=280

Module Height diagram

• Scenery at module ends should include a strip of greenery across the board to disguise the module joint and help modules blend.
  • Modules with more than one modular end should feature at least one designated ‘main’ track that connects the modular ends together.
  • Main tracks, or any other tracks designed to be used by through trains must have a minimum of 36” radius curves and minimum #6 turnouts.
  • Spurs and industry tracks must be 24” minimum radius and can use sharper turnouts. Spurs or industry track switches can be located closer than 3 inches from the board end provided the any main or through track is straight.
  • Main line tracks must be code 83 (we use Peco as it’s now easy to obtain in the UK) – spurs and sidings that do not cross module ends can use smaller rail.

Module Wiring Diagram:

modulewiring.jpg?w=468&h=135

Basic DCC module wiring diagram

The only requirement for wiring is for the DCC track bus, which consists of one wire for each pole crossing the board joint.

The track bus connections are by 4mm banana plugs/sockets. http://www.maplin.co.uk/4mm-banana-plug-1434

Some notes on the diagram:

• Colour coding is shown only for clarity – boards can be connected either way round so the two rails cannot actually be reliably colour-coded across all modules.
  • We recommend (shown dotted on the diagrams) a bus wire to be run from one end connector to the other end(s) of your module – this will help with power transfer and ensure that one dodgy rail joint does not switch off every module ‘downstream’ of it!
  • You may add a connection into the DCC track bus to connect your own DCC system when it’s not being used on a modular layout.

Other electrical issues

Pointwork needs to be controlled locally by your chosen method. Either through switch-machines controlled by a mini-panel (you will need to arrange your own power supply for this) or manually via push-rods or switch levers. If your points are manual please arrange electrical switching to make the frogs live.

There is no requirement to build in a DCC control bus (such as Lenz X-Bus) – the reasoning behind this is that these modules could potentially be used on a layout running on any NMRA-DCC system. There is nothing stopping you adding a control bus and controller plug in panels for your own system – they will just be bypassed if the module is being used in a setup controlled by a different system.

For example – the RS Tower group use Lenz DCC, so some of the boards built by our own team will contain an X-Bus plug in – however we will also be using portable drop boards with X-Bus connectors to allow us to extend the X-Bus network to where it’s needed, even to boards with no control bus connection.

Module Recommendations

• Minimum curve and point specs are minimums. Your trains will look better on larger curves, and if you are building a module with a curved main line then adding transition curves will be very beneficial to smooth operations.
  • Be creative in your designs, why not follow a prototype’s curvature or add a junction or interchange?

Module Notes:

• There is no requirement for modules to be a specific width other than at the modular end.
  • There is no restriction on making curved modules apart from the minimum radius requirements and the need for a 3” straight at module ends.
  • There is no requirement for modules to be any specific length.
  • A module can contain any number of baseboards, and the internal baseboard joints in a module do not have to conform to modular specs.
  • Backscenes are optional – they can look nice on single-sided scenes but the centred track allows for modules to be connected in either direction, allowing for a curved module to become a left-hand or right-hand curve on the layout.
  • We currently use Woodland Scenics fine turf burnt grass as our basic ground cover colour for the board end scenery strips.
  • We currently use Woodland Scenics fine light grey ballast on modules as well.
Edited by Talltim
  • Like 2

I hate to say this, but when you have a bunch of UK modellers who can't even agree on a standardized system for what couplers to use, how you expect to organise a comprehensive modular system that will satisfy all the doubters and nay-sayers is beyond me - all I can do is wish you "Good Luck!"

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

if I understand it correctly, much of the time is spent watching trains going by, or waiting for a train to approach your particular section where it may pass another train or gain/lose some wagons.  Then it passes from "your bit of the world" to someone else's and then you wait for the next movement.

Your understanding is incorrect.

You are assigned/take a train and you operate and follow the train over the entire length of its run across all of the relevant modules.  Thus one of the side benefits is that you get lots of walking done...