RMweb

Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

1 hour ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

I have just got myself the class 90 in the RES livery complete with sound & I am mightily impressed.

Smooth running with a full suit of effects including (of course) the operating pantograph.

With this particular effect in mind, can anyone advise how I can reduce the height of the pantograph. I believe this can be done but couldn’t see anything in the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

They were included with the instructions for the 1st batch. I am not sure why they were not included with the latest ones.

I am also not sure if the circuit boards are the same, so make sure you read your CVS before you change them. This is they type of things they can often change without telling anybody. Instructions were included for both Zimo & Loksound decoders. I assume you have model with factory fitted sound, which has a Loksound 5 (because AFAIK, the non-sound version is not available yet):

CV31 - 16

CV32 - 0    These 2 are register CVs which must be set before altering any CV values

CV363 - 27   This ensures that Aux Output 12 is set to servo output 6

CV362 - Pantograph down speed (0-63) default is 11

CV366 - Pantograph up speed (0-63) default is 11

CV367 - Pantograph down position (0--63) default is 10

CV368 - Pantograph up position (0-63) default is 51

So you'll need to set CV16 & 32 to unlock the others, then adjust CV368.

This worked fine on my IC & RF ones with a Legomanbiffo sound decoder because I wanted to reduce the height. I have not tried it on my Mainline or RES factory fitted sound models yet. I usually just run these with the pan down.

If you use JMRI, these CVs are listed a bit strangely. I believe this reflects the way they are used/stored

Pan height for example is (I think) 16.0.368.

Nigelcliffe did explain it to me while ago, probably somewhere earlier in this thread. I understood it at the time but it was a couple pf years ago.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Loco update - 14th June 2022

Latest DB90 at Johnson Street IEMD 

As soon as it became apparent that 90021 wasn't going to be seen out on the network in First Barbie Scotrail, it was always going to be a matter of time before she departed Johnson Street IEMD.

Then, in a short period of time we were introduced to two DB/EWS era Class 90s from Bachmann, firstly 90028 in DB Cargo red and following on from that 90030 in EWS. With 90028 "Bill" already in the stable already and 90030 being slightly out of my era, it was always going to be something different to the above examples which became my next "red" Skoda. 

With that along came an opportunity to add 90039 in "I am the Backbone of the economy" to the DB90s based at Johnson Street IEMD. 90039 liveried by Rainbow  Railways joining fellow Rainbow inductee 90024 in Malcolm Rail and also pictured 90034 in DB Blue.

Backbone, post Rainbow introduction has gone on to get named seen below on test at Stafford Station

and also has a Freightliner-ish orange tipped panto and is weathering away from perfect but other than that is looking pretty good.

20220614_224906.jpg

20220614_225032.jpg

20220614_225508.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

Loco update - 14th June 2022

Latest DB90 at Johnson Street IEMD 

As soon as it became apparent that 90021 wasn't going to be seen out on the network in First Barbie Scotrail, it was always going to be a matter of time before she departed Johnson Street IEMD.

Then, in a short period of time we were introduced to two DB/EWS era Class 90s from Bachmann, firstly 90028 in DB Cargo red and following on from that 90030 in EWS. With 90028 "Bill" already in the stable already and 90030 being slightly out of my era, it was always going to be something different to the above examples which became my next "red" Skoda. 

With that along came an opportunity to add 90039 in "I am the Backbone of the economy" to the DB90s based at Johnson Street IEMD. 90039 liveried by Rainbow  Railways joining fellow Rainbow inductee 90024 in Malcolm Rail and also pictured 90034 in DB Blue.

Backbone, post Rainbow introduction has gone on to get named seen below on test at Stafford Station

and also has a Freightliner-ish orange tipped panto and is weathering away from perfect but other than that is looking pretty good.

20220614_224906.jpg

20220614_225032.jpg

20220614_225508.jpg

They’ve done a cracking job with that it looks ace. That middle 90 looks smart too ;-)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, shunny said:

I got  word today my analogue 90's should be delivered to my local shop on Thursday 

Picked mine up from Barry, Gill and Tom at Widnes Model Centre (may or may not have been paid from the wedding budget….) 

Very nice models indeed. For me the best  modern image RTR out there at the moment.

Thanks Guys.

14A598D0-6B03-49EE-8F5F-FBF1D588E4A4.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, chris37422 said:

Picked mine up from Barry, Gill and Tom at Widnes Model Centre (may or may not have been paid from the wedding budget….) 

Very nice models indeed. For me the best  modern image RTR out there at the moment.

Thanks Guys.

14A598D0-6B03-49EE-8F5F-FBF1D588E4A4.jpeg

As I mentioned earlier, just a shame about the wrong yellow on 44, but they look stunning. 

For anyone in the market, model railways direct have SF 90s in their sale for £230 which works out as cost of non-dcc plus non-sound chip cost… when I looked last night they had Freighliner Green, Mainline and Freightliner Grey versions available at this price - Virgin I think was £247. Link to their sale in the bargain hunters  section. I may have added to my fleet…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, James90012 said:

Are there any issues with reblowing the chips with a different sound file?

Which chips? First ones were Zimo, later ones are ESU.

To communicate properly with programmers the chip needs taking out of the loco, with ESU at least but I think the Zimo ones too.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

My DC ones arrived this morning..

7B83C4BF-1BCD-4B99-B3E8-D5B7BAA09FE8.thumb.jpeg.5b009806831c29aab1d857cc7ff5bb73.jpeg

90019 Penny Black is definitely the favourite.. I was there the day it was named.

Good choice of liveries! The four that I pre-ordered arrived today … a slight difference in choice as my layout is from the 1980’s to early 2000’s, so chose the IC Mainline version. Just given them a test run and lovely smooth runners.

A8997CD9-291D-4805-AF31-33CBE50846D5.thumb.jpeg.88f7a2abc283ba36f03b326d017a9060.jpeg

02CCB2FB-B355-4D0F-8A7B-A7720834B027.thumb.jpeg.471129b718e7773d148408b44797db6c.jpeg

32E7B92F-D497-453F-8F34-4C65E1A21391.thumb.jpeg.0ecd2ae23d829b8724aac2b9b9123f19.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, letterspider said:

Model Railways Direct still have Class 90 with Sound at £230

Not sure what your point is.

A) I was talking past tense not future tense, over 3 months ago. I still stand by that point as it was right when I said it IMO.

B) Given I was responding to your complaints of the price of the new releases, you should be rejoicing rather than digging up 3 month old posts to snipe at me!

FWIW Colletts have them too around that price.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Awaiting my Penny Black from Rails - hopefully will land imminently. I was resisting the EWS version but it looks really great..!

The new Bachmann Chip hasn't arrived yet for these, is the original 90 chip completely incompatible or is it a CV issue?

10 hours ago, James90012 said:

Awaiting my Penny Black from Rails - hopefully will land imminently. I was resisting the EWS version but it looks really great..!

The new Bachmann Chip hasn't arrived yet for these, is the original 90 chip completely incompatible or is it a CV issue?

I thought they had changed the servo for the pantograph and it was different. What effect that has on chip I dont know, I ended up going for DCC sound with this later batch just to avoid that issue!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I thought they had changed the servo for the pantograph and it was different. What effect that has on chip I dont know, I ended up going for DCC sound with this later batch just to avoid that issue!

I did the same. I don't remember sound fitted being an option with the first lot.

I prefer my earlier 2 with Biff's projects. The 2 tone horn sounds better & Bachmann's parking brake is rather pointless. I like the combined brake & braking sound feature on Biff's project too.

I am a bit puzzled why there is no guide to setting the pan height in the new batch like there was with the first lot. I have not tried it yet.

57 minutes ago, GordonC said:

It definitely needs different settings on ESU chips so I presume the original Zimo chip won't do with the default settings.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 21/06/2022 at 19:46, TomScrut said:

Not sure what your point is.

A) I was talking past tense not future tense, over 3 months ago. I still stand by that point as it was right when I said it IMO.

B) Given I was responding to your complaints of the price of the new releases, you should be rejoicing rather than digging up 3 month old posts to snipe at me!

FWIW Colletts have them too around that price.

Tom,

I dont think anyone is sniping at anyone else ... 

Model Railways Direct do still have some DCC Sound 90s at #230.00 ... (their green freightliner 90s are this amount) i think its a case of catch them while you can - some of us and I include myself in this, have to shop around as we don't always have huge loco budgets.

I have popped the link for this below for you:

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/locomotive-diesel-electric/Bachmann-32-612asf-class-90-90041-freightliner-green/

I've just swapped out the sound in Multimodal and popped in to Backbone but I too will keeping an eye out for deals like the above in the future.

Happy modelling !! 

Kat :-)

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD

On 27/05/2022 at 16:53, Mooresby said:

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on this thread but has anyone been successful in fitting a driver in the cab?

Its not immediately obvious how one would go about doing this and I'm reluctant to cause any damage.....

There are eight screws, the two screws on the cab ends need to be kept separate as they are smaller and shorter, I believe the other six, four for the decoder roof section release and one on each RH side 15mm along but hidden under the bogie looking from below the chassis are all the same size and length.

As previously mentioned just ease the body sides away from the cab its held by a lug on each side it will come out, you can detach the cab light wires at the connector to give yourself more room.

I use Modelu drivers 1155, 1152 or 1150 for the 90's, depending on the livery and or era, again you need to trim the feet off and paint them, they cost £4.50 each which is quite expensive but they do look really good.

• Like 1