Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

All my life its been known as Intercity Swallow livery, since I saw 87201 painted in undercoat version, 3/4 complete at Crewe works openday in July 1987.

I know it is known as that, I recall reading as a child in the early 90s it was actually a Swift.

On 07/05/2022 at 16:18, andyman7 said:

It's interesting how the Swallow ones have become so sought after - although they were the first version to sell out, they were available for well over a year from stockists so it certainly wasn't one of those blink-and-you'll-miss-it scalpers markets. I'm sure they will reappear in due course but these days patience is needed. It also means a sound-fitted one can be offered this time round.

If you really want one I think it's just a case of poking around model shops that don't have a major online presence. 

I picked up Bachmann's 37025 and 37099 brand new below list price early last year when they were sold out everywhere, and I got lucky a week ago with a brand new IC 90 from a shop at original list price;

547094324_PXL_20220430_154139970.NIGHT2.jpg.6f1cf2fb53665667074f04190a5eb56d.jpg

It's interesting to see that this model is worth a lot as 90005, but any that have been renumbered or repainted don't hit original list price on eBay. 

This hobby continues to baffle me to the point where I'm almost reconsidering renumbering it to 90001 Royal Scot.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, 60800 said:

If you really want one I think it's just a case of poking around model shops that don't have a major online presence. 

I picked up Bachmann's 37025 and 37099 brand new below list price early last year when they were sold out everywhere, and I got lucky a week ago with a brand new IC 90 from a shop at original list price;

I like doing this too although there are less of them about now, a lot of shops upped their game online during lockdown.

3 hours ago, 60800 said:

It's interesting to see that this model is worth a lot as 90005, but any that have been renumbered or repainted don't hit original list price on eBay. 

This hobby continues to baffle me to the point where I'm almost reconsidering renumbering it to 90001 Royal Scot.

I think the thing is that a lot of the time people don't take good enough pictures of their work to allow it to be judged accordingly. Therefore people who are confident doing it themselves would rather do it themselves, or those who aren't confident would probably rather not risk buying something that looks a mess close up.

I think that's why resprays don't tend to fare well 2nd hand either.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, 60800 said:

547094324_PXL_20220430_154139970.NIGHT2.jpg.6f1cf2fb53665667074f04190a5eb56d.jpg

Cheers,

Poking around in model shops that don't have a major online presence is always a good idea if you are after hard to find items. However, the behaviours we see are completely normal human ones - if something is freely available, then it is ignored - as soon as the hint of scarcity exists, there is scope for price fluctuation. Anything 'brand new boxed' will sell more easily than modified/renamed/ renumbered because it is a known quantity - except where such work is done to a demonstrably high standard. I have handled beautifully modified items and also horrors so can well see why 'as made' is the default preference. Then there is collecting, which you either get or you don't but that is a well established human trait that goes well beyond model railways, so whatever you might think about it, I'm not in the slightest bit baffled at the value or interest in a model that has never been used and complete with all parts and accessories.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Intercity Swallow livery (personally I would have thought a Swift more apt, but apparently it’s a swallow)

Take your pick from the Wildlife Trusts

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/sites/default/files/styles/scaled_8_col_desk/public/2021-05/sssss.webp

1729608452_Swalloworswift.jpg.0b9a0e979226639262f88c97728e0b6f.jpg

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife/how-identify/how-identify-swifts-swallows-sand-martins-and-house-martins

Edited by eastwestdivide
Got photo to display
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

To think it all started with a humble sparrow in Stratford..

(flickr/not my image)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I remember when the old "Executive" livery was updated, the logo was always called the 'swift motif' then the livery was later known as 'Swallow'.

Yes which is what I thought was the case, although I don't know of the source I always thought (as I said earlier today) I read it was a swift and the Swallow title for the livery was a misnomer but I also don't know where the swallow name came from.

Logically swift sounds more befitting an express train service, and it looks like one. Where did swallow come from (other than "it's always been known as that")

10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yes which is what I thought was the case, although I don't know of the source I always thought (as I said earlier today) I read it was a swift and the Swallow title for the livery was a misnomer but I also don't know where the swallow name came from.

Logically swift sounds more befitting an express train service, and it looks like one. Where did swallow come from (other than "it's always been known as that")

Probably got christened a swallow by rail enthusiasts who 1. Didn’t use logic to use swift, 2. Think any other bird has a tail like that, which resulted in it becoming known as swallow livery in the railway press, and then that’s it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

Been lucky enough to secure an Intercity one for my dad, he is wanting it as 90012. Does anyone know when it’s name plates changes from

black to red?

Named in 1993 in Red, 1995 in Black, 1997 Virgin livery.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Anyone with a factory sound fitted 90, what's the sound file like please? There's not actually that much difference by the time you've bought loco plus special chip, so might go that way instead.

18 minutes ago, Markn said:

Anyone with a factory sound fitted 90, what's the sound file like please? There's not actually that much difference by the time you've bought loco plus special chip, so might go that way instead.

I got to play with my mate's family of Skodas at the recent Statfold show, and I was quite impressed with the sound. Naturally it's still not quite the top end third-party sound you can find, but it's certainly a great offering. As you say, given the cost of the DCC ready ones, plus the special decoder for the pantograph, it makes sense (try telling the significant other!) to pay the little extra and go sound...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, Markn said:

The sound file itself seems to be fine but there are other aspects of the project I don't like.

F5 is a parking brake. All this does is stop the loco from moving off. It seems to have no function while the loco is already moving. It is not an active brake which also makes a braking sound. I may be able to activate this if I fiddled, but I have not tried.

The horns are 2 separate notes. I rather like the 2 playing together as per Biff's project which I have on my other 2, but this is not available on Bachmann's factory-fitted one.

The good news is that the decoder is a v5 so it can be re-blown.

One thing I forgot with my last one is that you can't read the decoder in a 90, so this needs to be done on a decoder tester.

I have a 4th 90 ready for collection & went with a sound fitted one this time around too.

I have a lokprogrammer so I will probably buy sound projects from Biff & re-blow them myself.

• Informative/Useful 2

I've just dug out my copy of the Bachmann 90 function list:

F0 Directional Lights.

F1 Sound On/Off                                             

F2 Brake

F3 Low Horn

F4 Two Tone horn 

F5 Parking Brake

F6 Raise Pantograph  

F7 Flange squeal  

F8 Windscreen wipers  

F9 Air dump

F10 On – Guard’s whistle / Off – Driver’s response

F11 Spirax valve  

F12 Pantograph (sounds only) 

F13 AWS

F14 Day/Night light (day = on)

F15 Cab lights

F16 Coupling Up

F17 Uncoupling

F18 On – Cab Door Open / Off – Cab Door Shut

F19 Uncoupling Movement Cycle

F20 Headlights: Train Mode, Train at No1 End

F21 Headlights: Train Mode, Train at No2 End

F22 Fire Alarm Test

F23 Volume Control (6 levels)

Most functions available on Biff's project are there, with a couple of exceptions:

Bachmann's has a fire alarm test sound

Biff's has a neutral section power down/up sound

Biff's has MK3 coach wail sound

Biff's has a compressor sound

Bachmann's has windscreen wiper sound

Bachmann's has an AWS sound

The 2 have different coupling/uncoupling sounds

Biff's has track detonator sounds

Biff's raises/lowers the pantograph as part of the sound on/off process. Bachmann's pan is controlled independently of the sound. The speed & height of the pan can be controlled with CVs, but the guide for doing this is not included in the instructions for the factory sound model. I can post them on here if & when you need them, although I read somewhere on here they work differently on the newer batch.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, NaN said:

90019 Penny Black arrived here today. There’s no OHL warning stickers anywhere on it - is that prototypical for as new?

Answering my own question, appears yes! It gained them on the cab front sometime before going on hire to Anglia Railways in noughties but as new not a single one.

• Like 2