Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

12 minutes ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

I hope to do something similar with my DB90s

What wagons are you going to have them pull? From what I can tell the only intermodal wagons relevant to a DB 90 that are available in RTR are the Dapol IKA Megafrets, but these seem to be a rarity nowadays compared to the other (maybe still IKAs?) wagons with the squarer shrouds over the bogies and often painted in a dark red.

Just wondering if there were any others I wasn't aware of.

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

What wagons are you going to have them pull? From what I can tell the only intermodal wagons relevant to a DB 90 that are available in RTR are the Dapol IKA Megafrets, but these seem to be a rarity nowadays compared to the other (maybe still IKAs?) wagons with the squarer shrouds over the bogies and often painted in a dark red.

Just wondering if there were any others I wasn't aware of.

Last year I used the Bachmann KFAs at Making Tracks ...

With Multimodal going ''Solo''

• Like 2

For anyone in market for a FL orange 90, Cheltenham Model Centre has them going for £250 sound fitted which seems a good price for a new release (£280 elsewhere typically).

and a Q - has anyone had issues with the 90 non DCC chip working ok for motor and pantograph but not working lights? Might be going back but wonder if something I’ve done…. And yes it Is the A version for 2022 90s in a 2022 90…

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bonniedundee said:

Is there any truth that the livery applied to Bachmann Freightliner 90044 is slightly incorrect? 

Top post, previous page (p109) explains it.

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2022 at 19:06, Scottish-Exile said:

Having dipped into this thread last weekend, I am now the owner of a Rainbows 90 024.  It's waiting for me when I get back home tomorrow for the weekend. My Hornby version, which has never seen a piece of track, will be going on eBay/Facebook in due course.

I'm a collector of all things Malcolm, but passed on joining the Hornby club just to get their exclusive. I've lost all faith in Hornby and so will hope for either a Bachmann or failing that, Rainbow release of the new Donald. 

And I didn't have too long to wait. Back home for the weekend - I work away a month at a time - and the second of my Rainbow Railways Class 90's was waiting for me. This time 90 021 Donald Malcolm. Both this and 90 024 are absolutely stunning. 

IMG_20220724_214424.jpg.04778295e6a0365d8b5fc2a64b93442d.jpg

IMG_20220724_214413.jpg.1d61296cbb9e2a4d3334122d0994cd72.jpg

IMG_20220724_214518.jpg.3c709146f83247c66337acb37aeccdf0.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just adding to this thread for a bit of fun, it was nice tackling this Intercity example recently - Virgin West Coast's 90010 275 Railway Squadron (Volunteers), modelled in circa 2000 condition. 

52227925831_dffcbe43ae_k.jpg90010 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

52227926191_f4569eae79_k.jpg90010 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

52227939188_2b58152e20_k.jpg90010 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

52228409210_525c3985df_k.jpg87029 87031 90010 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

52226921542_7b70c1c20a_k.jpg87029 90010 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

52228198354_b0ed95c84d_k.jpg90010 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

52228198684_e7f713b331_k.jpg90010 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

A bit more blurb about it appears below here on my Workbench page, the hardest part was putting the loco back together again and working out which screws went back in which holes 🤣

Great fun model to work on!

Cheers,

James

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Is demand beginning to wane for this model? I have just managed to bag a couple of new sound fitted freightliner models in Green and Grey for less than the non sound fitted ones are currently selling for. Part of me suspects it’s down to the livery, I hope this doesn’t mean no more 90’s for the next few years. 

20 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

Is demand beginning to wane for this model? I have just managed to bag a couple of new sound fitted freightliner models in Green and Grey for less than the non sound fitted ones are currently selling for. Part of me suspects it’s down to the livery, I hope this doesn’t mean no more 90’s for the next few years. 

They have done a lot of Freightliner liveried models (4 so far?), I think that is the main issue. Compare to 1 EWS, 1 DB from the same era. Also the first run also got discounted reasonably often, and hung around for a while (where not discounted).

FWIW I have 3, 90042 in Powerhaul, 90044 (IIRC) in FL G&W Orange and then 90028 in DB. I was never going to rush to buy the FL plain green or grey ones because I hoped the orange one would come and it did. I only "need" two. The only ones now that would interest me would be a DB celeb, such as the "Backbone" one. I aren't in a hurry for it though as money is tied up with other pre orders.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think for me its a Greater Anglia class 90… but it also needs Mk3 coaches to match.

I think for now, ive got all the 90’s I need…

IC/RfD/FL Green swoosh/G&W/Mainline/RES/EWS/DB + resprays of GC and Backbone, I actually have a GA respray too, but i’d fit a 2nd if there was stock for it.

I did have some for resprays, thinking no more were coming, I already sold my extra IC ones, Ive a couple of RFD ones spare too, though I might do an “Allerton” for one.

Edited by adb968008

21 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

We have recently had 5 different liveries in 2 consecutive quarters. I think that is quite a lot for quite a small market. Compared to other models, that is a lot in a small space of time.

Looking from a manufacturer's point of view, it is probably time to concentrate on something else which will sell more quickly. Making a quick return is always good business.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

We have recently had 5 different liveries in 2 consecutive quarters. I think that is quite a lot for quite a small market. Compared to other models, that is a lot in a small space of time.

Looking from a manufacturer's point of view, it is probably time to concentrate on something else which will sell more quickly. Making a quick return is always good business.

Indeed I am left wondering if buying on release is the right thing, as AC electrics seem to end up discounted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Indeed I am left wondering if buying on release is the right thing, as AC electrics seem to end up discounted.

The problem is predicting which ones will sell out.

I see some models which I think will be popular & they hand on for a while. Then others appear & I wonder who would want one & they disappear quickly.

The Swallow ones from the first batch went fast. Mine was faulty & my retailer couldn't even do a swap out so I had to wait for Bachmann to repair it. The RfD ones hung around for a couple of years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

They have done a lot of Freightliner liveried models (4 so far?), I think that is the main issue.

I would be inclined to agree. I am not going to complain, a sound fitted 90 for less than 200 notes is a bargain to me. 
I do have a Powerhaul version, this was originally planned to become 90129, but thanks to Kernow, no longer needed, so I think I will be letting this one move on. Must admit, I have no need for an orange 90, but it does look nice. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think for me its a Greater Anglia class 90… but it also needs Mk3 coaches to match.

I think for now, ive got all the 90’s I need…

IC/RfD/FL Green swoosh/G&W/Mainline/RES/EWS/DB + resprays of GC and Backbone, I actually have a GA respray too, but i’d fit a 2nd if there was stock for it.

I did have some for resprays, thinking no more were coming, I already sold my extra IC ones, Ive a couple of RFD ones spare too, though I might do an “Allerton” for one.

I would have thought a ONE or unbranded Virgin may prove popular. Didn’t the Grey Freightliner one run around with the Anglia Mk2’s for a while? 
Personally, I’d like to see 90136. 
Jerry has seen me right with GNER and RfD’s European version and 227. 

Out of my era but I would buy a Greater Anglia 90, particularly if it was 90001 Crown Point with red buffer beams. 90009 in One Stratford-esque Diamond Jubilee livery with white roofs and Union Jacks would also get the credit card out. 

Away from Anglia, I’d have thought a Scotrail Barbie liveried one would sell, and 036 in RFD with yellow roof and EWS beasties is also pretty unique. 

• Like 1

On 09/08/2022 at 18:44, NXEA! said:

Out of my era but I would buy a Greater Anglia 90, particularly if it was 90001 Crown Point with red buffer beams. 90009 in One Stratford-esque Diamond Jubilee livery with white roofs and Union Jacks would also get the credit card out. 

Away from Anglia, I’d have thought a Scotrail Barbie liveried one would sell, and 036 in RFD with yellow roof and EWS beasties is also pretty unique. 

"Sybic" livery. Nice.

I had planned to detail & spray an old Hornby one into that. Maybe if I pull my finger out then Bachmann will make one 😆

The roof had long faded from any sign of yellow by the time the EWS logos were added.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2022 at 23:24, Ncarter2 said:

I would be inclined to agree. I am not going to complain, a sound fitted 90 for less than 200 notes is a bargain to me. 
I do have a Powerhaul version, this was originally planned to become 90129, but thanks to Kernow, no longer needed, so I think I will be letting this one move on. Must admit, I have no need for an orange 90, but it does look nice. 

It would look nice if it was right 🤪

On 09/08/2022 at 18:44, NXEA! said:

Hey @NXEA!, there's a Bachmann Greater Anglia Class 90 on ebay right now

a little while ago, it was someone on here who told me that Olivia's trains had a Malcolm Bachmann 90 for sale, at the time I didn't know where it had come from ... but i couldn't let this chance pass so I duely snapped it up - thank you to that person ... it's still my favourite 90, even though, like the model, the real world example needs some touching up ... 

Kat :-)

• 2 weeks later...

With the end of the Making Tracks event approaching and with the unfortunate absence of @amertonman I dragged the other half along to Chester Cathedral along with 90026 and 90034, ironically, this pair are currently on duty with Malcolm Rail,

although, truth be told, I don't think they ran over the weekend, hey, I think it would be okay, right, so off we popped, two Rail enthusiasts, two Skodas, a shed and a Ford fiesta.. nice 😉.. okay, so the Shed never made it out, oh well never mind:

If you are thinking of going along because you have never been or you missed it last year why not pop along, Pete Waterman and the team are great, they have even more tech this year including hand held wireless controllers so literally anyone can drive a train.. brilliant.. you can bring along your DCC fitted locos as well...  and it's only £2.50 for a great day's entertainment. Sooo I hear you are saying how can I go along ? Find Chester Cathedral on Google maps, you can park and ride by three different car parks

https://chestercathedral.com/event/making-tracks-2-2022-07-19/2022-09-03/

https://www.visitcheshire.com/transport/boughton-heath-park-and-ride-car-park-p257311

If this weekend is no good, it's understood this layout is next going to Milton Keynes for the Great Electric Train show on 8th and 9th October 2022

https://www.keymodelworld.com/greatelectrictrainshow

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD
  • Like 4