Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

2 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Not only did I list the faults but I photographed and emailed them - and I followed correct procedure and returned it to the retailer.

To get it back again after 3 months with exactly the same problems is frustrating. It's not the model I am disappointed with - far from it.  It's a terrific looking loco with good working features.

That's really poor on their part & infuriating for you.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, dave56 said:

Its sad to hear this situation is still continuing, Bachmann are not showing themselves in a good light.

Poor repairs? I agree.

Broken bogies? It has been stated that Bachmann have identified that the cause of this is over-tightened screws.

Only 1 batch have been made & this was before this issue was identified. Any models sold more recently will probably have been in a retailer's store room. Bachmann do not have access to these.

Even if many were in storage with Bachmann, opening each box to modify the models would incur huge costs which they would eventually have to pass on to the customer.

45 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Poor repairs? I agree.

Broken bogies? It has been stated that Bachmann have identified that the cause of this is over-tightened screws.

Only 1 batch have been made & this was before this issue was identified. Any models sold more recently will probably have been in a retailer's store room. Bachmann do not have access to these.

Even if many were in storage with Bachmann, opening each box to modify the models would incur huge costs which they would eventually have to pass on to the customer.

Its certainly put me off buying a class 90 from the current batch as I have no local Model shop to check before I buy and I am sure I'm not alone. Then to read that repair returns are being returned broken by Bachmann just reinforces my decision.

• Agree 1

One of my pair was faulty too: The speaker sounded very lightweight & the pantograph stopped working after a few days. I am glad I had 2 because without the other one, I would have assumed the speaker was just rubbish, but the other one proved this was not the case.

I reported it to the shop fairly quickly then took it in at the earliest convenient time (my preferred model shop is about 2 hours away).

They dealt with it on my behalf & it took about 3 months to get repaired.

Both faults were repaired properly & I now have 2 fully working class 90s.

So not all Bachmann repairs end in disappointment.

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It has been stated that Bachmann have identified that the cause of this is over-tightened screws.

Despite Bachmann's original assessment, in the light of my recent experience I wonder if over tightening of the screws in the factory was/is the problem?

My 90 was returned "repaired" from Bachmann's UK service department yesterday. But again both bogies had broken loose by the time it got back to me!  So unless the service engineer over tightened them, I assume the fault is something else.  Perhaps brittle plastic being used, or bad design? Or merely bad packaging?  Who knows?  Well probably Bachmann do, but unfortunately I get the impression they are not coming clean with me.

I actually phoned Bachmann service yesterday to discuss the situation and spoke to the engineer that had done my particular repair. I explained the problem and asked if it was common.  He replied that they've had a "few" back, but basically denied there was a issue.

Anyway, I've gone as far as I can with this loco. CMC are going to refund me.

Now seeking another.  Which hopefully will be third time lucky!

• RMweb Gold

They have had more than a 'few' back I sent back 5! I would expect Bachmann to play down the issue though. The proof the fault is fixed will be when we get a new batch without this known fault. 

Mark

• Informative/Useful 2

Guest Half-full
9 minutes ago, Markwj said:

They have had more than a 'few' back I sent back 5! I would expect Bachmann to play down the issue though. The proof the fault is fixed will be when we get a new batch without this known fault. 

Mark

I sent 2 back, and all others I've been able to examine before potentially buying (about 4 or 5) have had either the bogie issue or a damaged pantograph

On 17/03/2020 at 18:14, cravensdmufan said:

Not only did I list the faults but I photographed and emailed them - and I followed correct procedure and returned it to the retailer.

To get it back again after 3 months with exactly the same problems is frustrating. It's not the model I am disappointed with - far from it.  It's a terrific looking loco with good working features.

Lack of care with packaging seems to be the issue with these.  Obviously the over tightening of the bogie screws, as originally suggested, can't be the problem because on my repaired one they are again hanging loose.

Oh well, when compared with what's going on in the world at present it's not that important actually! 

youre right on that last point of course but this is model railway forum not a health forum so you are perfectly entitled to vent here without fear of anyone trying to make out that this is a minor niggle IMHO. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I have a bit of good news.....!

At last I have now got a fully functioning, beautifully running 90 037, having had to return my original loco to Bachmann via Cheltenham twice.

Purchased another loco from Rails of Sheffield. Huge thanks to them for taking the trouble to not only to fully check the loco but they also placed shims of plastic around each bogie to stop any movement in transit.  Thanks guys - excellent customer service.

And to folks who are considering buying a 90 037 RoS have them on offer at the moment for £139.50.

IMG_20200323_111136.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Well I have a bit of good news.....!

At last I have now got a fully functioning, beautifully running 90 037, having had to return my original loco to Bachmann via Cheltenham twice.

Purchased another loco from Rails of Sheffield. Huge thanks to them for taking the trouble to not only to fully check the loco but they also placed shims of plastic around each bogie to stop any movement in transit.  Thanks guys - excellent customer service.

And to folks who are considering buying a 90 037 RoS have them on offer at the moment for £139.50.

Looking great on the layout

Except it appears as if it's been dumped failed, with pantograph lowered in the "naughty siding".  Not so. Loco is absolutely perfect and all functioning well.  Just awaiting O.H.L.E. to be installed.  Now there's a good project for me during self-isolation! 

PICT0158.JPG

• Like 2

I'll probably shift this question over to the "DCC Help & Questions", but in the meantime just wondering if anyone has had any problem with the operating pantograph?

I fitted Bachmann's special decoder (36-569, non-sound) to my loco and all was working brilliantly, until I got a short circuit on the layout yesterday evening when the pantograph immediately went down and started making a ticking sound (like a Spirax valve - thought it was a non sound decoder :o!).  I cured the short circuit (caused by wagon derailed on turnout) but now the pantograph won't go up and down.  Tried  a reset by CV8 to 8, no luck.

Has anyone else had a similar issue please? Or maybe help with an explanation or even better a cure?

Thanks.

It sounds as if you have a different problem from mine. With mine, the gear has come off the motor spindle. The motor works but, of course, doesn’t move the pantograph. A silly question. When your pantograph came down, could it have clipped itself down?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

It sounds as if you have a different problem from mine. With mine, the gear has come off the motor spindle. The motor works but, of course, doesn’t move the pantograph. A silly question. When your pantograph came down, could it have clipped itself down?

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that so I just checked and sadly that's not the problem.

When I pull the pantograph up by hand it springs straight back down so it's not possible to pose it manually in the up position.

I wonder if the motor has blown?  Seems a bit strange because of a simple short circuit. But there's no sound from the motor that it's even trying to work. 

This is very unusual from my relatively limited - last 3 years and perhaps 50 locomotives - experience of Bachmann.

The locomotive looks to have typical Bachmann crisp moulding and running characteristics, but the QC is out of the window - totally hopeless.

Sounds more like poor production design than hamfisted handling in packaging and dispatch.

That's one locomotive I'll steer well away with until somebody else does one.

Didn't think I'd ever write something like that about Bachmann - I've LOADS of their diesels, an electric, and MANY steam locomotives.

Poorer motors and lack of bearings in the steam locomotives aside, they're all superb locomotives.

Al.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that so I just checked and sadly that's not the problem.

When I pull the pantograph up by hand it springs straight back down so it's not possible to pose it manually in the up position.

I wonder if the motor has blown?  Seems a bit strange because of a simple short circuit. But there's no sound from the motor that it's even trying to work. 

Hi folks,

I just solved my own problem!

Checking default CV's on the small card enclosed in the plastic box the decoder came in,  CV181 ("Sets Function key that controls pantograph") had mysteriously set itself to 0 as a result of the short circuit. Changed it back to 6 and pantograph is now working again!  Phew, I thought it was blown!

Memo to self - must read manufacturers notes - still I hope my experience will help others solve the problem.  I never had a simple short circuit affect decoder CVs before.

Thanks all for suggestions anyway.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Can you hear anything when trying to operate it?

Other suggestions are probably impractical (decoder swap) but this requires another decoder which is able to operate the pantograph, which I think you will probably not have.

Thanks Pete, I just solved it, see above.  I do actually have another 90 with the same decoder and it was a good idea to have tried that.  But all is well now.  Cheers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Sounds more like poor production design than hamfisted handling in packaging and dispatch.

Al, I think the loco is superb in every way both in looks and features.

Having returned my loco go back for repair twice and both times the bogies came back loose, I reckon it's mostly because the plastic package insert doesn't hold them firmly in position.  Bachmann's service department repaired it so it can't possibly be overtightening of the screws. Also I'm guessing that the plastic used for the bogie mounts may be a bit brittle which may add to the problem.  So it's a combination of those two issues IMO. 

Don't let it put you off buying one - but do ensure your retailer checks before dispatch and ask them to slip in some extra packing shims round the bogies like Rails of Sheffield did for me (thanks lads).

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Faults aside, it is a great model.

Bachmann have only made the 1 batch so far, so have not had a chance to address any production issues yet.

It looks great, performs well & if you use DCC, it has features which may appeal such as a working pan & highly adjustable lights which were a first for a major manufacturer.

Production issues with earlier models are common with many things:

Safety recalls issued for cars/aircraft/trains (real ones).

Service packs & fixes for software.

Bachmann now have an opportunity to highlight any issues with the manufacturer before the next batch is produced.

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, atom3624 said:

This is very unusual from my relatively limited - last 3 years and perhaps 50 locomotives - experience of Bachmann.

The locomotive looks to have typical Bachmann crisp moulding and running characteristics, but the QC is out of the window - totally hopeless.

Didn't think I'd ever write something like that about Bachmann - I've LOADS of their diesels, an electric, and MANY steam locomotives.

Poorer motors and lack of bearings in the steam locomotives aside, they're all superb locomotives.

Al.

Problems, problems, problems. My first two arrived with buffers detached, one of which was broken, and one Pullman rubbing plate was broken too. The plate was easily glued and the buffers which were not broken easily replaced. Some were a secure push fit and some required glue. Looking for spares never seems to work, so I returned the one with the broken buffer. It came back with a new buffer. The second was fine but since getting it, one bogie has fallen out, which is disconcerting. The third (the Collectors’ Club one) has a failed pantograph. I have mentioned these problems before but I only mention them again to say that I love these models in spite of everything. With the current crisis, it will take some time to get repairs done. Meantime, I revel in the one which works. The pantograph is, of course, the show stopper but the lighting suite is an example of just how lighting should be done. Cab lights (directional), tail lights and day and night lights are all decoder controlled. The horns are separate fittings behind a grill and vary from model to model. They are a step up in detail and, all things considered, reasonably priced.

• Informative/Useful 1

I realise my reaction was a bit strong.

Nice comment from Rob D2 - they are RTR.

It's a pity.

I've literally not noticed any similar problems on basically any of the Bachmann locomotives I have - which I don't want to count but 50+ will be close.

They look a typically excellent locomotive looking at the pictures.

Al.

Mine touch wood has been perfect. I have just checked it (been intending to for ages but this reminded me when I was within a few feet of it). The bogies have movement which I think can be expected, although one does seem a bit more easily moved than the other, but when I pick it up the bogie doesn't drop, and sits level. I presume that means it's OK?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Mine touch wood has been perfect. I have just checked it (been intending to for ages but this reminded me when I was within a few feet of it). The bogies have movement which I think can be expected, although one does seem a bit more easily moved than the other, but when I pick it up the bogie doesn't drop, and sits level. I presume that means it's OK?

Yes Tom, yours sounds good.  Hold the loco up to eye and if the bogies hang normally it's OK.

Now that I have two 90s that are perfect, I will keep them on the track as much as possible as I am mindful that these particular locos are much more fragile than most.  So constantly un-boxing and re-boxing could easily knock off delicate parts off or worse still fracture the bogie mounting..

Edit: In fact I may make a little shelf on which to keep them when they are not on the layout.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Additional wording
  • Thanks 1