Running in Dapol N Gauge Locos

csiedmo

Hello all,

I've recently bought a number of Dapol N gauge Class 22s and see that in the instructions for DCC running, one is supposed to do the running-in on DC.

I also see in the instructions for DC running that one is supposed to use an N-gauge controller.

When I queried this with Kevin at Dapol, he informed me that using such as a Gaugemaster controller that is supposed to be suitable for both 00 and N, is not good for the N gauge motors fitted to current Dapol locos.

Moreover, when I saw on this forum many of comments around running problems with Dapol Class 22s, I thought that I had better obey the instructions!

However, when I looked into what DC N gauge controllers were available, the only one that I found was the Morley Vesta - so great if you have DC layout or need a DC controller to run accessories, but as I plan to be fully DCC operational, it seems ridiculous to spend £80 on the Vesta just for a few hours of running in.

Since then I have seen some second hand Graham Farish "N Gauge" controllers on ebay. Do people think that one these might do the trick? I would be very interested to hear what others in my situation have done?

Many thanks,

Ed

I believe the Farish controllers are actually quite good for the price and shuold do nicely.

To be fair, I have run mine in with a standard Gaugemaster controller (model D). I believe the problem only occurs if you use the fancier models which include features like simulator and brake (and possibly half-wave rectification).

I have a Gaugemaster model D too and the locos are fine using that as they are a very old Gaugemaster Series 100.

More recently I got bought a Morley Vesta which gives good control.

All the above said, I concur that the one that comes with Farish sets works fine and if you buy one of the cheaper sets like the "Depot Master" (with the 04 and three wagons) which can be had for as little as £80 you have a running in oval and controller very cheaply and could even probably recover a good chunk of the cost by selling on the loco and wagons!

Roy

Dapol are completely inconsistent in this respect - they used to *recommend* Gaugemaster controllers on their stand not all that long ago. Now not?

I've used Gaugemaster D, W and 100M controllers with Dapol motors of all varieties for years - I don't think there is an issue, and if Dapol think so I'd like to know the chechnical details of why....

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the quick response guys!

A Farish controller it shall be then. If I can't get a second hard one at a good price, then I'll get the Farish set as Roy suggests, as I will also need a circle of track for the purpose.

Then I can use it permanently for general "loco exercise" as my actual layout will be an end-to-end job.

Feeling very relieved to have a sensible solution to it!

Cheers,

Ed

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that it seems ridiculous, and they didn't really explain themselves, other than to say that the motor would have a longer life if a dedicated N-gauge controller was used.

Given that the Dapol build quality has been brought into question of late, then if one of my locos malfunctions I don't want Dapol saying that its my fault because I haven't followed their instructions.

Cheers,

Ed

The kato one is very good too and for a simple oval the kato unitrack you can get in the back is excellent. As it isn't just relying on the fishplates to hold the track together. You can occasionally get some cracking deals on eBay for either the M1 or M2 set.

I have one of these controllers to run my layout and I'm very happy with it.

Alistair

Guest 43300

When I queried this with Kevin at Dapol, he informed me that using such as a Gaugemaster controller that is supposed to be suitable for both 00 and N, is not good for the N gauge motors fitted to current Dapol locos.

How come Dapol sell N-gauge train sets with Gaugemaster controllers, then*? I've got one of the basic Gaugemaster controllers and have used it with N and OO gauge stock (Dapol / Farish and Hornby / Bachmann) without any controller-related problems.

*e.g. this one: http://www.ehattons.com/58975/Dapol_NDIESEL1_Train_set_with_Class_73_JB_electro_diesel_in_BR_blue_2_x_VTG_ferrywagons_Gaugema/StockDetail.aspx

Hello all,

I've recently bought a number of Dapol N gauge Class 22s and see that in the instructions for DCC running, one is supposed to do the running-in on DC.

I also see in the instructions for DC running that one is supposed to use an N-gauge controller.

Moreover, when I saw on this forum many of comments around running problems with Dapol Class 22s, I thought that I had better obey the instructions!

However, when I looked into what DC N gauge controllers were available, the only one that I found was the Morley Vesta - so great if you have DC layout or need a DC controller to run accessories, but as I plan to be fully DCC operational, it seems ridiculous to spend £80 on the Vesta just for a few hours of running in.

Since then I have seen some second hand Graham Farish "N Gauge" controllers on ebay. Do people think that one these might do the trick? I would be very interested to hear what others in my situation have done?

Many thanks,

Ed

I use a Gaugemaster handheld 'w' controller - had a Dapol n gauge weathered class 22 a few months back as part of the milk tank set - don't recall seeing that in the instructions - bizarrely it now just failed after a few hours running. Any advise apart from sending it back?

best

colbard

I use a really cheap Railmaster (US) controller for running in. I also bought an oval of set track and pinned it down to a 4 x 2 piece of MDF. I think for running in on DC the simpler the better. As others have said it's fancy features like simulators and feedback that might cause problems, but for running in all that is needed is a simple 12V DC controller without any bells or whistles. I set mine to 70% of the maximum output and run the loco for around 10 minutes, I then slow it down to around 50% output and let it run for an hour. Then I reverse the direction of the loco and repeat.

John P

Hello Colbard,

If it were me I'd have the body off and check all the connections and that the DCC dummy chip hasn't waggled free. Then if its still showing no signs of life, send it back to where you go it.

Good luck,

Ed

Archived