Breton photography

Taigatrommel

Hi all,

I'm off to Brittany on the 2nd, staying in Dinan.  I've pencilled in a trip on la Vapeur du Trieux, and I'm aware that Dinan itself has a railway museum.  I would like to get some photos of contemporary SNCF activity, and perhaps even score some diesel loco haulage if it's possible. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers about good locations- I'll probably only have half a day to spare for it, out of consideration for all the other sites I want to visit in the region, so the closer to Dinan the better!

Thanks in advance

I would like to get some photos of contemporary SNCF activity,

Find out from those who live there or are more up to date what the situation is with operation 'Vigipirate'.  Police have been stopping and questioning people taking photographs on or near railways.

Find out from those who live there or are more up to date what the situation is with operation 'Vigipirate'.  Police have been stopping and questioning people taking photographs on or near railways.

It would be worth getting hold of the last two month's 'Today's Railways- Europe', as David Haydock has written at length about this. The problem is not so much with SNCF personnel, or Police, who are amenable to discussion (David's written a pro-forma piece in French explaining what you're doing), but with SUGE, who are security-guards under contract to SNCF. They make the average night-club 'doorman' look sharp; if you do have to 'discuss' things with them, you'll probably find the Alsatian the most flexible and communicative. They have been known to beat up those they take a dislike to, including SNCF personnel, and even arrested a freight-train driver at Lyon Perrache for taking a leak outside his cab when the train was held at a signal. They tried to get him charged with 'outraging public decency'- it was 02:00, and in a country where 'Defensé de uriner' means ' Take a leak here..'

I've seen the TRE comments from the issue before last, I'll see what's in the latest.  From that I was planning to avoid taking photographs in anything but the most obviously touristy station, and looking for scenic spots that suit a tourist for any railway photography.  I'm still getting bang up to date SNCF pictures in my Flickr feed, so the situation can't be too dire.

• 1 month later...

The best way to reply if questioned is always in English with a large smile, i still use the technique even after having lived here for twenty five years.

Yes, I had a breakdown on A75 last week and the attitude of everyone who helped was exemplary.  First words out of my mouth "Je suis Anglais, parlez vous?"  It seems to melt the heart of everyone, almost even the Peugeot service manager!

• 2 weeks later...

And yet, I've had the opposite.....my French seems to make people help me more.

The only time I resorted to having NO French at all was during a pull by French Police for having an obscured number plate.....even then, they were more interested in the car than any misdemeanor.

For those who wonder WHY the plate was obscured, I had been towing a caravan, and it was partly obscured by the large plate bolted between tow-ball and tow-bar to stop the caravan from overrunning onto the bumper when hitching up.

And yet, I've had the opposite.....my French seems to make people help me more.

I will admit that I used this ruse on this occasion because I really didn't know what to do.  I agree that, generally, and even in Paris, using La Langue is going to help more than hinder.  In this case no-one spoke English anyway, so my French saved the day!

It would be worth getting hold of the last two month's 'Today's Railways- Europe', as David Haydock has written at length about this. The problem is not so much with SNCF personnel, or Police, who are amenable to discussion (David's written a pro-forma piece in French explaining what you're doing), but with SUGE, who are security-guards under contract to SNCF. They make the average night-club 'doorman' look sharp; if you do have to 'discuss' things with them, you'll probably find the Alsatian the most flexible and communicative. They have been known to beat up those they take a dislike to, including SNCF personnel, and even arrested a freight-train driver at Lyon Perrache for taking a leak outside his cab when the train was held at a signal. They tried to get him charged with 'outraging public decency'- it was 02:00, and in a country where 'Defensé de uriner' means ' Take a leak here..'

See also the editorial in the current issue (October 2014, just out) of Today's Railways which refers to a letter from the SNCF Directeur de Communication clearly stating that photography from places of normal public access is permitted without specific prior authorisation.

Apparently vigilance was raised after some naugthy people made unauthorised visits to depots....

Archived