Disposal of used knife blades

Approved - Mine go in a Sharps Box - cheap from Amazon lasts a long time and dispose at local pharmacist.

non- approved - An empty drinks can - flattened (end folded over) before recycling.

• RMweb Gold

I choose something in the trash that is not crushable enough to enable any accidental stick injuries and pop the blade inside. It goes in the landfill bin rather than the recycle bin on the basis that the former isn't handled routinely.

• RMweb Premium

You should be able to get a sharps bin from any pharmacy (there may be a charge, sometimes they're free) or you can get a child's sippy-cup and carve out the drinking slot if necessary to receive blades.  

Many places don't appreciate sharps being recycled even if they are metal.  Mine go in a plastic cup as above then into the garbage.  A handful of snapped blades and one small plastic cup maybe once a year is not going to make a huge difference to global sustainability but may make a lot of the right sort of difference to someone else's hands / fingers.

but may make a lot of the right sort of difference to someone else's hands / fingers.

except for the kids picking over the landfill site looking for interesting stuff to sell on ebay.

at least sharps in recycled metal containers just get crushed (lots of other sharp bits created by the process) only picked over by suitably protected handlers and mechanically sorted, to be finally melted down.

Disposal in landfill may have some unsuspecting future archaeologist speculating on what they were used for in the technoscene era. :P

I think councils should provide very small wheelie-bins so that we can put them out every so often.....

Don't encourage them..

If you do put them in your recycling, then they'll be pulled out by the electro-magnets at the sorting centre, long before there is any manual intervention. If you're really worried, then keep an old steel ring-pull drinks can near your workbench, and put them in that- it's unlikely they'd fall out during recycling.

• RMweb Premium

I put mine in a thick plastic bottle that is not recyclable such as one that contained bleach or other cleaners, I then put it in the ordinary rubbish (land fill). However I was not aware that some chemists provided disposal of 'sharps' so I will look into that.

• RMweb Premium

I make a trip to the recycling centre every so often (twice a year?) with old batteries. I usually take the sharps along then.

My current box of Xacto blades has a slot for used ones.

If you know someone with diabetes, they should have a sharps container for the testing needles and blood strips!

khris

I'd never thought of that! And I've got loads of sharps boxes laying about...

Hi

Unless like me you have a meter with a cassette for the strips and needles.

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/metersystems/mobile.html

Cheers

Paul

My son has an Accucheck pump, with separate strips and a cassette pricker. The strips and pricker cassettes tend to go in the normal bin, but cannulas and their insertion needles and insulin tubes etc go in a sharps bin. As will my knife blades from now on.

You don't get a sharps box for lancets, only hypodermic needles.

I've always wondered what, in modelling terms, the little plastic containers for the needles could be used for. I've got some stashed away for use on a Steampunk Black 5 whenever I get round to doing it. And if you have a drum-type Accucheck those little containers the drums come in are very handy for Small Bits.

Hi guys,

Just to clarify, here in Oz you can get a sharps container for any/all of the above.

When I wrote the suggestion I was thinking Lancets and blood strips actually. (fortunately I don't need to use syringes)

Anyway glad the idea was useful to some of you, as it has been to me.

khris

I eat mine ... along with a 4' sabre sword, cos I am reet clever b*st*rd who was born into a travelling circus.

No seriously, I box mine in an old small plastic box and tape it up, and then wrap it up again in something else that is taped up.

Archived