Russell in NWNGR red

sir douglas

• 2 weeks later...

Suspect the back cab sheet shows a closer colour match-The old girl looks mighty fine-cant wait to see her back on her old stamping ground-would be great to see some of those old pics re-created with Russell & Palmerston or Prince meeting at Beddgelert  with appropriate vintage stock-not financially viable ,but a great photo op........

• RMweb Premium

Russell is of course now in its NWNGR condition. I wonder if there has been any suggestion that it  might be provided with alternative cab and boiler fittings to represent its cut-down condition from the Welsh Highland era, which is how it appears in the majority of photographs.

Russell is of course now in its NWNGR condition. I wonder if there has been any suggestion that it  might be provided with alternative cab and boiler fittings to represent its cut-down condition from the Welsh Highland era, which is how it appears in the majority of photograph

Since the Moelwyn Tunnel - where she originally got stuck - has now been replaced and the modern bore has a greater loading gauge in every direction, I wonder if she could get up to Blaenau as she is?

Certainly in her 1930s condition she looked rather woebegone - that cut down dome cover was positively ugly!

• RMweb Premium

Since the Moelwyn Tunnel - where she originally got stuck - has now been replaced and the modern bore has a greater loading gauge in every direction, I wonder if she could get up to Blaenau as she is?

Certainly in her 1930s condition she looked rather woebegone - that cut down dome cover was positively ugly!

Indeed. The 1930's modifications were a crude disfigurement, but Russell in this form was an icon of the 1920's/30's WHR, and I was wondering whether there might be members of the WHHR who would want to recreate that era from time to time. The cut-down fittings would be a spare set that could be swapped in temporarily on particular occasions.

If you mean take the top out of the tunnel, the geologist/engineers reckon the tunnel top is keeping the rest of the hill above it in place!

There is the remains of the original trackbed around the outside of the hill but that would involve a lot of strengthening and rebuilding even allowing for the fact it would introduce some fearsome "S" shaped  corners.

This is a project which keeps rumbling around in the back ground and has done for many years, the biggest drawback ,as ever, is the need for loads of money to do it.

Next problem after that would then be the height, or rather lack of height, at the lower end of Rhiw Plas road over bridge.

Or do you mean make Russell cabless !! 

Phil T.  

Sorry, 'daylighting' is the common North American term for opening out a tunnel to increase the loading gauge or reduce maintenance.

In this country it's even been done to canals - the Fenny Compton Tunnel on the South Oxford hasn't been an actual tunnel for well over a century; in the railway world, Talerddig Cutting was planned to be a tunnel but was never built as such, which probably doesn't count!

The original line round the headland at Garnedd would, of course, never have seen a steam engine; it was one of the quick fixes (like the Moelwyn inclines) used to get the line open quickly, leaving the tunnels to be finished off when time allowed. I walked that whole section up to the Moelwyn Tunnel back in the 60s, when the views were a lot better than they are now - sadly, subsequent tree growth has spoiled the 'Wow' factor, just as it has on the Rheidol line.

I walked that whole section up to the Moelwyn Tunnel back in the 60s, when the views were a lot better than they are now - sadly, subsequent tree growth has spoiled the 'Wow' factor, just as it has on the Rheidol line.

I take it you have not visited recently; the area has had a serious visit from the chainsaw fairy.

I take it you have not visited recently; the area has had a serious visit from the chainsaw fairy.

Is that the Rheidol (which I shall happily visit when Palmerston comes to call next month!) or the FfR?

Not been on the latter for a couple of years (my last visit was with the Colonel Stephens Society), so it's due a call before too long (as is the Welshpool line, which is really one of my favourites).

Archived