OO gauge Raven Q6 0-8-0 steam locomotive

DJM Dave

Hi 60800,

The Q6 is still ongoing like the rest of my list, except the class 59 mentioned elsewhere as that's stuck in limbo at the moment.

I have a great matrix compiled by 2 well known persons of this parish, and the designs are at cad/cam stage.

However I'm not showing anything yet until Im at a happy place with the designs.

Watch this space or my web site. :-)

Cheers

Dave

Looking forward to it! I have a total of 3 on order with Durham Trains of Stanley.

I am thankful for the update. Silence on this issue should not be mistaken with a lack of interest. Far from it. Rather Im waiting in anticipation hoping the success of this model heralds the entry of NER engines into the RTR mainstream proper. Bout bloody time too.... 

I am thankful for the update. Silence on this issue should not be mistaken with a lack of interest. Far from it. Rather Im waiting in anticipation hoping the success of this model heralds the entry of NER engines into the RTR mainstream proper. Bout bloody time too.... 

... Like a G5 tank engine please  :boast:

OK should I list all the NER kits I have been putting together over the years... Dave will shoot each one down in flames at this rate.... take the RCTS  LNER Loco books off him.  :jester:

BTW I am (Still)  looking forward to the Q6. My Dave Bradwell kit built version should stand up pretty well I guess. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest G567281

Hi Dave,

At this stage of development with the Q6, do you know whether it will have an 8 pin dcc socket or a 21 pin socket. I have been corresponding with John of YouChoos and he now has a sound file for Q6 63395. As I will ultimately require six, it would be nice to know.

Kindest regards

Alan

Guest G567281

Six??????

Yes, sorry about that.

Two are for my DJH O gauge Q6's 63368 and 63393. The decoders for which will be in transit shortly and will be installed upon arrival.

Four decoders are for the up and coming DJM Q6's. I ordered two 63395's and two 63341's as I like to support the project and I hope to be able to convert one of each to EM gauge.

As a child and teenager the only steam loco's I remember seeing were the WD's, J26/7's and Q6's. These loco's worked on mineral and steel trains to Skinningrove. To be honest, I was sick of seeing them and then one day in 1960's over a weekend they were no more. Although in hindsight I now know the withdrawal transition was over four or five years.

63341 worked a Brake Van (4) Special to Skinningrove in the early 60's which I plan to model. I have identified the brake vans by type, these being two LNER 20T types and two BR 20T types but all with different details whilst being basically the same.

Not to wish my life away but I am looking forward to next year with the availability of DJM's Q6's and the NELPG 50th Anniversay when in October, 2016 we may be fortunate in seeing their K1, J27, J72 and Q6 in steam at the same time. Who would have thought this would have ever happened fifty years ago. We owe a few people so much for their insight and determination in making these things happen.

Regards

Alan

No need to apologise.

Well I'm hanging on for the N Gauge examples - one on pre-order, but I'll need two - so I hope the OO ones do well.

I've got pictures of 63431 with those vans - one well known - at Huntcliffe - and the other at Eston.

My memory is similar to yours - there was always a line of Q6s visible over the wall in Mainsforth Terrace and we always took them for granted (wanted "Streaks" and "Blinkers", even sniffed at B1s), until it was too late.

As you say, thank goodness for the early members of NELPG and for the current crew who keep them going - 2016 should be good. Be glad when 69023 has had it's cylinder block repaired and is working again.

I have identified the brake vans by type, these being two LNER 20T types and two BR 20T types but all with different details whilst being basically the same.

Do you have the numbers of those four brake vans please? I'm building a rake of brake vans for brake tour duty and it would be nice to model a couple that I new was used on that tour.

My memory is similar to yours - there was always a line of Q6s visible over the wall in Mainsforth Terrace and we always took them for granted (wanted "Streaks" and "Blinkers", even sniffed at B1s), until it was too late.

Something like this.

https://flic.kr/p/a9SwBg

P

That's a beautiful picture - can you buy pics from flickr?

I don't know. That particular user allows download of various sizes of image to hard disk by clicking on the underlined down pointing arrow at the bottom right of the image. It should be OK as long as you respect his copyright.

PS I've got pictures of a brake van tour with 90445 on 15.05.65 - 6 vans at least, but can only make out the number on the first.

I suspect your van is B951072. I have a photo of that van but on the rear after reversal at Hendon. It's on my to do list but I still have to get a pic that shows better what type of axle boxes were fitted. All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Porcy

Guest G567281

Do you have the numbers of those four brake vans please? I'm building a rake of brake vans for brake tour duty and it would be nice to model a couple that I new was used on that tour.

Something like this.

https://flic.kr/p/a9SwBg

P

Dear Porcy,

Alas, I am afraid I do not have the running numbers and they were not listed on The Six Bells site with the tour details. It is one of my quests to find out what they are one where.

Like Mr. Marshall I have the Huntcliffe photo, this is where as would watch the trains when I was a boy, and the Eston photograph.

There is some video footage of The Special in Ron Goult's "Railways of the North East In Retrospect" however I have yet to check if I can read any of the numbers - I doubt I will be able to.

Whist in the UK in 2013 I visited the Guisborough Museum. They had a book titled "Guisborough past and present". Chapter 5 is "Last Train to Guisborough" attributed to Maurice Burns and others. P139 has two photographs of the special on Slapewath viaduct from the Ken Taylor Collection. From it, I have been able to deduce the detail differences of the four brake vans, but not the numbers as yet.

If the details are of interest I can provide details within let's say a week. I am using four Slater's O gauge kits to produce these and have some Bachmann/Hornby one's to rework in 4 mm scale. A lovely way to spend ones retirement IMHO.

Kindest regards

Alan

Thanks for that. Like you I have copies of MB & KT's pics in my collection but they don't provide enough information to identify the individual diagrams and lot numbers for the brakes.

One day a phot will turn up or somebody in the SLS or RCTS will find a list with the details.

Thanks again,

P

Porcy,

This is very dark, but you might be able to make out the axle boxes?

It's from the photo-forum web site the contributor of this pic (Chris Davies) urged me to use the site for his pictures, because it's free, so I don't believe there's a copyright issue.

post-24552-0-07702700-1437692052.jpg

Guest G567281

Thanks for that. Like you I have copies of MB & KT's pics in my collection but they don't provide enough information to identify the individual diagrams and lot numbers for the brakes.

One day a phot will turn up or somebody in the SLS or RCTS will find a list with the details.

Thanks again,

P

Thanks again,

P

Hi Porcy,

I agree, once we have completed our models the definitive info will become available. When I have nailed down the individual diagrams I will let you know.

Alan

Seriously nice photos there. Really required for the weathering of the finished models. I find the colour differences of the smoke boxes to to the boiler and then the final one to the firebox. No doubt I am right suggesting the photo/ slide has aged over time and it is now more "blue" than originally. Can anyone out there perform some photo magic (I can't as I don't have the skills or program) to re balance the colour spectrum on these. I would be interested to see what the colours come back too.  

Guest G567281

Hi All,

I just received my first Q6 sound decoder from John of You Choos in anticipation of receiving DJM's Q6's next year. I have installed it in a DJH Q6 to put it through its paces. John is doing some tweaks for me with respect to mapping. Exciting times.

Alan

This is very dark, but you might be able to make out the axle boxes?

Thanks. I've seen that pic on the Time Capsules website. They look like pressed steel axle boxes but still can't see enough detail to confirm. If you're in contact with Mr Davies perhaps you could tell him that the location of the photograph is Dawdon(Seabanks) not Hawthorn as described.

P

EXCUSE ME!!! That's BRITISH West Hartlepool if you don't mind.

Hah, a traditionalist.  :good:

Jimmy Edwards? Victor Sylvester?  Benny Hill, The originators? Better tell that to one of my late Grannies.

Around the turn of the 20 century, she lived for a short while (and married) in Hartlepool. She  always referred to the "other place" as British West Hart. I reckon all the three of the claimed originators of that moniker would have been but a twinkle in their pops eye at that time.

P

Archived