OO gauge Raven Q6 0-8-0 steam locomotive

DJM Dave

When I was teaching in Hartlepool (Brinkburn for the first 6 years after it went comprehensive) it took me a while to work out why some of our kids referred to others as swampies.  Monkey hangers I knew (natives of "old" Hartlepool).

West Hartlepool was built on marshland after local entrepreneurs persuaded the captains of sailing vessels returning from the Thames with just ballast to pay them to take that ballast away from the quayside so said ship could return to London with coal.  The ballast was tipped into the marshland and West Hartlepool was built on it.  Hence monkey hangers referred to natives as swampies.  Also explains the area of (West) Hartlepool called the Fens..

Les

(a former resident of Owton Manor B blocks who had to walk to the Fens shops to visit the launderette- a young teacher who couldn't at that time afford a washing machine)

When I was teaching in Hartlepool (Brinkburn for the first 6 years after it went comprehensive) it took me a while to work out why some of our kids referred to others as swampies.  Monkey hangers I knew (natives of "old" Hartlepool).

and on most Sunday afternoons the Monkey Hangers used to join the Swampies in a peace pact and march off to Crimdon Dene where they proceeded to do battle with the "Yackers".  (from Blackhall). I once saw this happen on the track bed in the middle of Crimdon Viaduct.

Happy days... happy days...

P

P

Guest G567281

and on most Sunday afternoons the Monkey Hangers used to join the Swampies in a peace pact and march off to Crimdon Dene where they proceeded to do battle with the "Yackers".  (from Blackhall). I once saw this happen on the track bed in the middle of Crimdon Viaduct.

Happy days... happy days...

P

P

Time to head for Penzance (tongue in cheek) but who news what goes on their !!!. Pirating I guess and not a Q6, J27 or G5 to be seen. It's a sad world until next year the who knows what may happen ?.

Alan

but who news what goes on their !!!.

Prospecting for gold at Trevelyan and running from the excise.(Not "for exercise")

not a Q6, J27 or G5 to be seen

but witnessed many a north east pigeon being released from E prefixed parcels stock and siphons for them to navigate back to their home crees.

P

West Hartlepool was built on marshland after local entrepreneurs persuaded the captains of sailing vessels returning from the Thames with just ballast to pay them to take that ballast away from the quayside so said ship could return to London with coal.  The ballast was tipped into the marshland and West Hartlepool was built on it.  Hence monkey hangers referred to natives as swampies.  Also explains the area of (West) Hartlepool called the Fens..

Les

(a former resident of Owton Manor B blocks who had to walk to the Fens shops to visit the launderette- a young teacher who couldn't at that time afford a washing machine)

Les,

How strange that you should know Brinkburn - I was there 1961 - 1968!

Regards,

Roy

Thanks. I've seen that pic on the Time Capsules website. They look like pressed steel axle boxes but still can't see enough detail to confirm. If you're in contact with Mr Davies perhaps you could tell him that the location of the photograph is Dawdon(Seabanks) not Hawthorn as described.

P

Porcy,

Alas I can't contact Chris - sadly missed - I hadn't known him long, but he was a good friend - met him at Brafferton waiting for 60163 to pass.

Regards,

Roy

Alas I can't contact Chris - sadly missed - I hadn't known him long, but he was a good friend - met him at Brafferton waiting for 60163 to pass.

The circumstances have just been explained by RB at Redcar show this afternoon.

Thanks,

P

• 3 weeks later...

Les

Les,

How strange that you should know Brinkburn - I was there 1961 - 1968!

Regards,

Roy

And another ex-Brinkburn lad here as well! I was in the second last intake before it closed in the late 80s. My mam was also a teacher at Fens school.

No connection to their fantastic layout of billingham apart from i live on station

Road in billingham.

Your right though they showed it last year at middlesbrough,popped through myself to have a look at it.

• 2 months later...
Guest G567281

Thanks for that. Like you I have copies of MB & KT's pics in my collection but they don't provide enough information to identify the individual diagrams and lot numbers for the brakes.

One day a phot will turn up or somebody in the SLS or RCTS will find a list with the details.

Thanks again,

P

Hi Porcy,

I have now identified the brake van diagram numbers running behind the Class Q6 and am pretty close to confirming the lot numbers too. I have produced a spreadsheet showing the detail differences and once I have proofed it once more, I will be happy to share the info with anyone who is interested in the info.

Regards

Alan

Guest G567281

That would be helpful.

Thanks.

P

Class Q6 63431, which is to be produced by DJM, worked the SLS Brake Van tour of the branches in Cleveland in 1963. The train consisted of four brake vans, two of which were ex LNER 20T vacuum braked types and two were BR 20T Standard types all in bauxite livery. The BR ones were not fitted with vacuum brakes when built but with vacuum pipe, stand and gauge only. Study of photographs on Slapewath viaduct show the interconnecting vacuum pipes, all tall versions, were connected. A fact I find interesting given the Q6 was steam brake only on the loco. The ex LNER brake vans were on the outer end and would have screw couplings, with the BR one's inboard and having instant ear couplings when built.

If you refer to the late Chris Davies photograph at Huntcliffe, the train is running chimney first towards Carlin How / Skinningrove / Loftus. Working back from the loco the brake vans were as follows:

Ex LNER Dia 61 - Exxxxxx

- short running boards

- vacuum cylinder

- no concrete ballast weight on the ends

- tall stove pipe and torpedo ventilators

- three lamp brackets on the verandah ends plus additional brackets on each corner of the verandah posts. As built, the verandah post brackets were not fitted. One bracket was fitted high up on the body side

- tall brake pipes above the frame

- small truss on the under frame

- label clips at left hand end

- planked door no windows

BR Diag 1/504, Lot 2206 - Bxxxxxx

- long running boards

- concrete ballast weights with recessed pockets and handrails

- single lamp bracket on the verandah ends plus one on each verandah post

- tall vacuum pipes above the frame

- label clips centrally positioned

BR Diag 1/504, Lot 2136 - Bxxxxxx

- long running boards

- concrete ballast weights with recessed pockets and handrails

- two lamp brackets on the verandah ends plus one on each verandah post

- label clips centrally positioned

Ex LNER Diag 158 - Exxxxxx

- short running boards

- vacuum cylinder

- concrete ballast weights without recess, no handrails.

- short stove pipe and ventilators, shell type ?

- two lamp brackets on the verandah ends plus one on each verandah post

- label clips at left hand end

- two glass panes in the door

All have spindle buffers.

The horizontal and vertical handrails differ on the brake vans too.

The doors on the BR vans would be different, one was fitted with two long panes, Diag 2206 would have four small glass panes.

As I am modelling Kiltonthorpe Junction I am in the process of building these brake vans. I offer the info just in case others may wish to do so. When these are done, I will tackle the BR Oleo buffered ones with roller bearings.

Kind regards

Alan

Guest G567281

I think the van numbered E278647 was the one at the far end in the photo. Van E278647 was attached to the smokebox end of the loco while running over the Guisborough branch.

Ken

E278647 is the Diag 158 built in 1945. One down, three to go.

Thanks for posting.

Alan

Archived