Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

Jenny,

You may find that they won't debit your card payment until it is ready to be shipped to you. You should receive notification of this when they send it off.

Ian

Edited by iankemp

Guest spet0114

Well, I have supported the project by paying the full price up front for the GNR liveried version. Noticed today though that my card has yet to be debited.

The implication being that those of us who have merely paid a deposit are inherently less supportive? :(

Edited by spet0114

You can read what you like into it, but that wasn't what I meant. I paid in full because I was in a position to, and it makes the delivery of the model in the future a nice surprise without having to worry then about finding the money. It just happened to suit me, and I get free postage too.

• Like 5

Jenny,

You may find that they won't debit your card payment until it is ready to be shipped to you. You should receive notification of this when they send it off.

Ian

On the other hand, you'll probably find they've taken the money within the week.  They always have done with previous 'earlybird' offers.  And they've never previously notified despatch as far as I'm aware either - my own previous advance orders with Locomotion have simply arrived unannounced, and with somewhat rudimentary packing into the bargain.  Hattons they most certainly aren't.

Edited by Steffi_C

• RMweb Gold

The implication being that those of us who have merely paid a deposit are inherently less supportive? :(

If you want to read it that way - then having regard to Locomotion's cash-flow, yes. But you are still more supportive than the vast majority of us who have no intention of buying one at all. Is that better?

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

If you want to read it that way - then having regard to Locomotion's cash-flow, yes. But you are still more supportive than the vast majority of us who have no intention of buying one at all. Is that better?

Yes, 'Dudders, my poor, fragile ego is now nicely polished and shining like the dome on the Stirling Single.

Do you also polish saucepans?

Edited by spet0114

On the other hand, you'll probably find they've taken the money within the week.  They always have done with previous 'earlybird' offers.  And they've never previously notified despatch as far as I'm aware either - my own previous advance orders with Locomotion have simply arrived unannounced, and with somewhat rudimentary packing into the bargain.  Hattons they most certainly aren't.

When we have a better idea of when to expect the models we will let everyone who have paid deposits know either by letter, email or telephone when we would require the balance. The website has a 'balance' button that customers can use to pay earlier if they want to, but we won't take any money without letting you know first and in plenty of time too.

As for the packaging - comment noted!

Cheers

You can read what you like into it, but that wasn't what I meant. I paid in full because I was in a position to, and it makes the delivery of the model in the future a nice surprise without having to worry then about finding the money. It just happened to suit me, and I get free postage too.

I'll make sure you have plenty of bubble wrap and I'll look out for the video when you receive the parcel!

Thoroughly enjoyed the unwrapping of the L & y!

• Like 4

Yes, 'Dudders, my poor, fragile ego is now nicely polished and shining like the dome on the Stirling Single.

I hereby stake my claim for the title of Pedant of the Week - the Stirling Single doesn't have a dome - the shiny bit is the safety valve cover: but you knew that, didn't you?

I still can't decide whether to go for the GNR or LNER Atlantic. Somehow the idea of pretending the GNR version was hauling railtours in the 1950s is spoiled by the story of its poor steaming due to the removal of the superheater, which is presumably why Henry Oakley has steamed in my lifetime, but never 251.

I hereby stake my claim for the title of Pedant of the Week - the Stirling Single doesn't have a dome - the shiny bit is the safety valve cover: but you knew that, didn't you?

I still can't decide whether to go for the GNR or LNER Atlantic. Somehow the idea of pretending the GNR version was hauling railtours in the 1950s is spoiled by the story of its poor steaming due to the removal of the superheater, which is presumably why Henry Oakley has steamed in my lifetime, but never 251.

If you really can't decide then go for both then you won't wish you had opted for the other one !!

...I still can't decide whether to go for the GNR or LNER Atlantic....

I have gone for the LNER job on the grounds that it can run with a set of Pullman cars representing its LNER service. That's the only stock I have that would look really credible with an Ivatt Atlantic, and happily enough it was operating Pullman services in LNER days that in part secured their reputation. I'll also stick an SLS or RCTS headboard on it and run it with BR liveried vehicles as a  'might have been' preservation special.

• Like 4

I might just go for the above variant.......Depends how broke I am after trading the 'farm wagon' for a comfy car. The wife tested how comfy her seat was and caught me measuring the distance from the windscreen to the boot lid to see the maximum length of timber it would carry!  :blackeye:

• Like 5

If any thing Hattons can over indulge with packaging, I've had many an item arrive in a box smothered in bubble wrap that could easily have come in a jiffy envelope

If any thing Hattons can over indulge with packaging, I've had many an item arrive in a box smothered in bubble wrap that could easily have come in a jiffy envelope

But then they would have to stock jiffy bags.

Any mover of large numbers of packs will try and cut down to a minimum the number of items in their stock of packaging material.

It is far cheaper to give away the odd big box and bubble wrap than to stock smaller boxes or envelopes.

A fixed £4 fee also encourages people to make larger purchases.

Bernard. (Who used to write packaging procedures amongst other things)

I've been buying from Hattons for over sixty years and I've never once had something as poorly packed as the prototype Deltic Locomotion sent me late last year.  It's left me reluctant to buy from them again to be quite honest.  If they have indeed now started using bubble wrap, that at least is a welcome improvement.

Hattons have built a very successful business on the back of their mail order and exceptional service.  Locomotion lacks that experience and expertise, and it's no surprise that they don't find it easy to suddenly ship large numbers of pre-ordered exclusive models when these come into stock.  I wish them success with this new model and hope that everyone is pleased with them when they arrive.

It hadn't been my intention to knock Locomotion, rather to point out that Ian Kemp's airy assertions about how Locomotion conduct business were potentially misleading and most unlikely to have any basis in fact.

But then they would have to stock jiffy bags.

Any mover of large numbers of packs will try and cut down to a minimum the number of items in their stock of packaging material.

It is far cheaper to give away the odd big box and bubble wrap than to stock smaller boxes or envelopes.

A fixed £4 fee also encourages people to make larger purchases.

Bernard. (Who used to write packaging procedures amongst other things)

Large box with one tinlet of Humbrol paint contained within did have me wondering what was going on

• RMweb Gold

I've been buying from Hattons for over sixty years and I've never once had something as poorly packed as the prototype Deltic Locomotion sent me late last year.  It's left me reluctant to buy from them again to be quite honest.  If they have indeed now started using bubble wrap, that at least is a welcome improvement.

Hattons have built a very successful business on the back of their mail order and exceptional service.  Locomotion lacks that experience and expertise, and it's no surprise that they don't find it easy to suddenly ship large numbers of pre-ordered exclusive models when these come into stock.  I wish them success with this new model and hope that everyone is pleased with them when they arrive.

It hadn't been my intention to knock Locomotion, rather to point out that Ian Kemp's airy assertions about how Locomotion conduct business were potentially misleading and most unlikely to have any basis in fact.

And they did respond positively to your comments,did they not?

just to keep you up to date with packaging -

I have ordered a thick double skinned box to pack the Atlantics in when they arrive (Plus bubble wrap)  The boxes we had for Deltics were only a single skinned box and I agree not sturdy enough.

We are learning more with each model we produce. so I will be in a cupboard with my colleague, up to the eyeballs in cardboard and brown tape come xmas (Hopefully!) Although we actually received very few complaints considering the number of parcels we sent out we are aiming to have even less this time around.

• Like 9

Guest spet0114

Just out of interest, does anyone know the Bachmann catalogue numbers for the three atlantics?  (I.e. the ones of the form 31-xxx or similar)

Cheers
Adrian

• 4 weeks later...

Guess who nearly ordered a GNR liveried one before realising I had already ordered one back in July! :nono:

I might be moving house soon and am wondering if we will receive some sort of notification before shipping (so I can advise the change of address) or do I need to contact you as soon as I know my new address, I do have my reference number handy.