The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Goes with the people who drink it, I suppose.....

Locally, there is an offy which sells a 7.5% cider for 99p a can.  Never tried it and not about to start.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

I've had a couple of bottles of Buckfast sitting in my ageing cupboard for around 2 years now...drinking the stuff has so far eluded me!

The original intention was to relive our youth and a few of us chug it in the park or bandstand, before seeing what mystical effects might take place...

One of my mates wife even got us some proper brown paper bags to wrap the bottles in, but Eastleigh council have now imposed a no public drinking byelaw which has put a dampener on things as arguing with a PCSO is probably not going to end in our favour...

Drinking the stuff in a civilized environment (ie: indoors possibly using glasses) seems to be at odds with the very essence of Buckie, and any available sheds/summerhouses have been found to be waist deep in clutter when surveyed. 

Its hard work getting old :drink_mini:

• Like 2

I've had a couple of bottles of Buckfast sitting in my ageing cupboard for around 2 years now...drinking the stuff has so far eluded me!

The original intention was to relive our youth and a few of us chug it in the park or bandstand, before seeing what mystical effects might take place...

One of my mates wife even got us some proper brown paper bags to wrap the bottles in, but Eastleigh council have now imposed a no public drinking byelaw which has put a dampener on things as arguing with a PCSO is probably not going to end in our favour...

Drinking the stuff in a civilized environment (ie: indoors possibly using glasses) seems to be at odds with the very essence of Buckie, and any available sheds/summerhouses have been found to be waist deep in clutter when surveyed. 

I love this idea.

A group of older people slumming it in the park with bottles of Buckfast in brown paper bags. Brilliant.

.... And as a thankyou for making my day, with that idea - here is my contribution to re-living your youth in Eastleigh

post-4474-0-14794800-1468267747_thumb.jpg

33016 runs through Eastleigh in September 1962.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 5

Funny about local byelaws and drinking.

In London it is the done thing, with more people in the street than inside, with both posh city wine bars and local squares being equally popular.

In St Albans you are not allowed to take drinks out of the theatre into the shopping centre.

My sister from Embra was horrified at the London scene as drinking in public is strictly banned up there these days.

With the Buckie you need a hard boiled egg to complete the Weegie breakfast.(so I am told, I would not dare to try that combination)

Bernard

• Like 1

Sad to report a real disappointment in the form of "Puck's Folly" (be careful with the pronunciation :jester: ).

It was billed as a golden bitter with hint of hoppy spiciness but had all the character of dishwater. Really disappointing with a very bland, watery flavour. Strangely it was an award-winner in 2013. Perhaps I got a bad bottle but I won't be trying it again in a hurry. :(

Edited by Karhedron

Sad to report a real disappointment in the form of "Puck's Folly" ....Really disappointing with a very bland, watery flavour. Strangely it was an award-winner in 2013. Perhaps I got a bad bottle but I won't be trying it again in a hurry. :(

Maybe the brewery has been taken over by one of the big boys and the products watered down to save on costs?

• Like 1

Funny about local byelaws and drinking.

In London it is the done thing, with more people in the street than inside, with both posh city wine bars and local squares being equally popular.

In St Albans you are not allowed to take drinks out of the theatre into the shopping centre.

My sister from Embra was horrified at the London scene as drinking in public is strictly banned up there these days.

With the Buckie you need a hard boiled egg to complete the Weegie breakfast.(so I am told, I would not dare to try that combination)

Bernard

Not so much anymore. There are loads of restrictions depending on what borough you are in. Some now restrict all alcohol on the street and in parks. There are also alcohol control zones. (see also Woolwich, General Gordon Square. Which leads to the one pub facing the square having to rope off their outdoor area and supply security to keep the tramps from using the tables.) Some parts of Soho have painted lines on the pavement around pubs where you have to remain if drinking. All booze was banned on TfL several years ago. Which means you can have a beer on the train home if you are travelling Southeastern or on SWT, but not on an Overground service. Makes for strange enforcement out of Liverpool St where some services are Greater Anglia and others now part of TfL rail.

If you think restrictions on street drinking is bad, I have to go to a wedding in just over a month's time where the entire reception will be alcohol-free :(

Bride's parents are strict Christians, and demon drink is a big no-no.

If you think restrictions on street drinking is bad, I have to go to a wedding in just over a month's time where the entire reception will be alcohol-free :(

Bride's parents are strict Christians, and demon drink is a big no-no.

2 words for you.

Hip

Flask

Yes, thanks; various ideas have already been suggested, like a big bottle of diet cola containing 50% vodka; which is a temptation, but they are typical sanctimonious judgemental people and resorting to subterfuge would merely just reinforce their views that alcohol drinkers are very devious untrustworthy people who cannot survive for more than a few hours without drink.

So, I think I might sit through the afternoon reception while staying 'dry' and then repair to the nearest hostelry for the evening.

• Like 1

I brew my own beer in 5 gallon batches  from crushed barley malt grain, hops and water but always test the professional offerings at every opportunity !!

I love the “new wave” of golden citrussy beers and for those who like this style I recommend OAKHAM CITRA (4.5%) and OAKHAM GREEN DEVIL (6%)

I've had both in draught form (the best of course) and bottled and reckon they're stunning.

OAKHAM CITRA is on the shelves in Waitrose.

Of course I've no connection with Oakham Brewery though I do wish I lived closer!

• Like 2

I am not brave enough to brew beer the proper way just yet, and will stick with beer making kits for the time being.

After wine-making in the past, the kit versions of beer seem to be a doddle as they ferment very quickly in comparison. I prefer dark and more malty beers as hoppy ones seem to trigger migraines for some reason; and I have many bottles of Coopers Dark Ale conditioning in the garage.

Plus, I have ordered Festival Old Suffolk Strong Ale, but it has not been delivered yet - and is next on the brewing calendar.

Hic!

• Like 1

I love the “new wave” of golden citrussy beers and for those who like this style I recommend OAKHAM CITRA (4.5%)

That's good to hear. I have been offered a case of Citra in exchange for weathering a couple of Lionheart O gauge tanker wagons :)

• Like 2

Kev_Lewis, on 13 Jul 2016 - 16:26, said:

That's good to hear. I have been offered a case of Citra in exchange for weathering a couple of Lionheart O gauge tanker wagons :)

Hell of a good deal.

If you are a fan of the Oakham Citra, you may also like the Magic Rock Highwire. (also do a grapefruit version that is totes amazeballs, to quote the hipsters)

• Like 3

The Hatherwoods 'craft beer' range has been in some Lidl branches for about a year and has been rolled out into others more recently. They aren't all brewed by Marstons but those that are mostly come from the Wychwood Brewery. Also, if you like dark beers like porter and stout, try their Czech black lager, Pivovar Herold.

Called in Lidl this afternoon and bought a bottle of Czech Pivovar Herold on your recommendation.

Drinking it right now - a superb dark and tasty beer (or is it ale / lager). Whatever, I'll be back for more !!

Thanks for posting.

Brit15

• Like 1

My Old Suffolk Ale is in the bucket, with an OG of 1048 (or 1.048 if you wish to be pedantic), so I am just waiting for it to cool enough for the yeast to go in.

I am looking forward to sampling this in a few weeks time (or probably sooner knowing me), and have fingers crossed that I don't get 23 litres of vinegar.

• Like 5

The weathered O gauge tankers were delivered back to a very happy owner, and I am now in the possession of eight bottle of Oakham Citra.

post-12902-0-12595300-1468705283_thumb.jpg

Oh, and here's the wagons.

post-12902-0-05258700-1468705340_thumb.jpg

He's also given me a Dapol O gauge open wagon to do next.

• Like 4

Anybody keen on saving a pub may like to know about the attempted community buy-out of a very attractive pub at Gussage All Saints, Dorset. They need to raise the money by 15 August and are about 20% of the way there with their share issue.

It opened a week ago yesterday, owned by the 'Gussage Benefit Society', and run by Stephen, and Barbara Aldred.

• Like 2