Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Well that really is looking a bit tasty Paul, great weathering! Very nice work.

Thanks mate, I'm hoping to get the weathering with the powders finished by the weekend fingers crossed then I can start adding the oily bits.

Cheers

Superb looking track that is Paul. I love the methodical way you go through the weathering process.

Simply excellent

Jinty;)

Nice to see you back jinty ,I sent you a text see how you where doing ,since you've not been on here lately

I Agree the pointwork is amazing ,when I've built my 2mm points and track work you'll have to walk me through how you do it Paul

Brian

Edited by bri.s

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Marcus, Jinty & Brian, I really am made up with how it's coming along :) never thought it would look like this.

Bri it's just getting the right colours, on the real railway nothing is uniform when it comes to dirt and grime so I tend to just go for it.

Thanks again

• RMweb Gold

If you don't want to use it I will just hang it on the wall over my fire place. It will look as good as one of the old masters even better.Well done Paul.Keith HC

Thanks very much Keith, I had a few doubts a couple a weeks ago over ELJ but I've never been so determined to carry on with this and get it finished as best I can, I'm not going to lie I want people to remember this, well that's the dream :)

Many thanks again

Paul

Could you remind me what method you used to paint/stain your sleepers, please? I know it will be in this thread somewhere but I can't find it.

I am not sure that I have found the best way as yet and would like to try some different ideas and since you have got rather realistic looking track, I would like to try your method if you don't mind.

(all for just 18 sleepers- the rest are all black with black rails and black ballast)

thanks

• RMweb Gold

Finished the weathering of the ballast an track yesterday just a few fishplates to grease up now.

A couple of pics in natural light for a change.

8A10A09A-16F0-4A33-871E-C5AD33FBB01B_zps

CD0769A4-109F-4B43-8F76-BD0B1A017AA3_zps

197FF94D-2E75-4D8A-90FA-E68C592A0B0B_zps

65FAD506-F2BE-4348-BDAF-B58D361EEF66_zps

Oh an here's a train finally!!

D7956B6F-3DA0-409E-8316-AE39F0C80592_zps

26F13631-1F1F-48A7-ADCE-CF4672AB108C_zps

51A9A939-4A79-4E26-A5ED-10462124A7C5_zps

8B0ED3E0-843A-46E7-9B6E-D564FC0FB331_zps

Cheers

• Like 2

Finished the weathering of the ballast an track yesterday just a few fishplates to grease up now.

A couple of pics in natural light for a change.8A10A09A-16F0-4A33-871E-C5AD33FBB01B_zpsCD0769A4-109F-4B43-8F76-BD0B1A017AA3_zps197FF94D-2E75-4D8A-90FA-E68C592A0B0B_zps65FAD506-F2BE-4348-BDAF-B58D361EEF66_zps

Oh an here's a train finally!!D7956B6F-3DA0-409E-8316-AE39F0C80592_zps26F13631-1F1F-48A7-ADCE-CF4672AB108C_zps51A9A939-4A79-4E26-A5ED-10462124A7C5_zps8B0ED3E0-843A-46E7-9B6E-D564FC0FB331_zps

Cheers

And not a make up brush in sight. :D

Under natural light that looks eerily realistic. I think you've got the right amount of muck on there for the type of route it is.

Can I ask you which dye you used? I tried Colson, which seems to be a thick syrup that the plywood isn't taking too, whether I leave it to soak or try rubbing it on. It won't thin either so I assume I'm using something different to everyone else.

There is a book on landscape modelling by Gordon Gravett that teaches just about every trick to make realistic landscape. Perhaps you should consider writing one on track weathering as yours is one of the best I've seen. Jammy g1t.

• RMweb Gold

Under natural light that looks eerily realistic. I think you've got the right amount of muck on there for the type of route it is.

Can I ask you which dye you used? I tried Colson, which seems to be a thick syrup that the plywood isn't taking too, whether I leave it to soak or try rubbing it on. It won't thin either so I assume I'm using something different to everyone else.

There is a book on landscape modelling by Gordon Gravett that teaches just about every trick to make realistic landscape. Perhaps you should consider writing one on track weathering as yours is one of the best I've seen. Jammy g1t.

Thanks Derek I used one from Wilkos only a fiver for a good size tin.

As for a book, if I knew where to start I'd write one!! Any tips or advice gratefully received :D

Thanks again for the kind words Derek

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

I can't believe this is the same person who was wracked with doubt around the time of EXPOEM North last year.

You were just having us on Paul weren't you?

Superb looking trackwork, pupil has become master, grasshopper!

Mike.

Ha ha thanks Mike I always have doubts or maybe lack of confidence in myself??

But all these great compliments really do mean a lot thanks very much Mike :)

Cheers

and for great fools and minds alike. How about the site of German car carrier wagons departing on HS1 with Astras for export coals to Newcastle. Picture seen on Railcam FB page yesterday. This could be a new option 4mm scale European goods stock.

Still getting back to Paul's trackwork. It just looks fantastic and I can't wait to see the new layout and if there ever was a book you have got my order already.....

Keith HC

• Like 2