• RMweb Gold

Paul you flipping genius. Is there any end to your talents?

I've just found a way to make quite good looking ash ballast effect thanks to you.

I'm going to experiment a bit more with it and then report back.

Genius I wish!! ;) but I'll take that compliment mate.

Glad I can be of help and I'm looking forward to pics of your attempt Derek :D

Thanks again

• RMweb Gold

Credit where it is due.

If you ever act like a t**t don't worry I will tell you that too! (haha.)

I am going to produce a test piece of 7.08 inches (45ft panel in 1:76.2 scale) tomorrow and see what happens with it.

Haha :D I act like that quite often ;)

Looking forward to the results Derek.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

The whistler had a quick run out last night and that ran well to, although I think I'll have to tweak one of the switch rails at some point, no pics unfortunately as I know how much a pic of a 40 upsets Andy :(

One thing that's been niggling at me for a while is the pic ups I've fitted to both the 40 an 47 so I've decided to give the Penbits sprung bogies a go, I'll either start on the 47 or pos the 37 but I might order one over the weekend, that'll keep me busy!!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Morning Derek, unless it's on a piece of very straight track it can be a bit temperamental, I think it's a lack of weight and probably my pick ups, although the ones factory fitted weren't the best.

Lovely machine though.

Cheers

Have a closer look at the pony trucks. As an experiment you could try running it without them in place.

John Elliot (The Laird) of this parish did some mods on Peaks to address similar problems, tried to find a link on here but to no avail.

Full details in MRJ 220:

http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com/issue.php?s=220

If you can find a copy.

Similar mods may work for an EE Type 4.

Ironically, didn't English Electric also find some problems when they built the type 4 with the leading axle causing derailments. I forget why and what was done about it.

Perhaps they picked up the phone to BR and said "solution: Telephone Brush and ask them to design a better type 4."

• RMweb Gold

Cheers fellas, you can't get better than a whistler Derek even if they were big and clumsy ;)

It doesn't always happen but if any wheel does jump off its the trailing pony for some reason :(

My first Penbits sprung bogie will be in the post Monday morning, just hope it isn't in the bin by Wednesday evening!! Should be fun if not a bit scary, I'm also going to look into stay alives in the locos, every little helps as I tap my shrinking wallet.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Remove your shoelaces and belt before embarking on the bogies, we don't want any accidents.

Remember we're all here for you.

Mike

So it'll be in the bin before Wednesday evening then Mike?? I suppose I could always use the hot soldering iron if there's no belts or laces about :O

Have you tried it Mike? I think once it's been done once it'll get easier :(

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

From what I've read it doesn't seem anything like as bad as it looks. Probably due to having such good instructions, though I think the Bo Bo is an easier start.

Hope so :O I wanted to start with a loco I already had em wheels and sound fitted so there was only the 40 or the 47 to go for, the 1co-co1 aren't on the website yet so went for the good old duff. Although the 47's weren't everyone's cup of tea I do like them in green or early blue.

No modelling again this weekend as I had our Charlie but I'm hoping to get a bit done each night, mojo is back thank god!! :D

Cheers

What do you mean "47's weren't everyone's cup of tea"?

I do not understand what this means. Are you in some way suggesting that there are people out there who wouldn't rate the 47/Brush 4 as a the paragon of mainline diesel locomotive evolution? Don't be silly. If there were such people I think I would have heard about them by now.

After the HST, the decision to order the type 4 from Brush was probably BR's greatest achievement.

(though I do get irritated by people calling them spoons or duffs- I have a few choice names for those sort of people too)

Edited by Derekstuart

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it's that people don't like them Derek I think it was the fact there were so many of them and they could be a bit er boring compared to other classes :O

Cheers

The average person will consume 12,500 pints of lager in a lifetime and perhaps have 27,375 (average) hot dinners. But would you call these boring? By comparison there were only 512 Brush 4's.

I've never really understood the "forty seven fatigue" that others have mentioned. When I was a lad, going with my Dad to work at Stratford at the weekend (not allowed in those days either, but overlooked by management- especially if you indicated your intention to be the next generation of railwayman) if we were lucky I'd get a trip to Parkston Quay with a freightliner powered by 47, if unlucky it would be a pair of 31/37. At that age, getting to see 47's that close up and from the cab was quite a privilege. I remember being most horrified one time going on holiday to Edinburgh when at Carstairs our train came in under electric and at the back instead of a 47 they attached this thing with noses. An express pulled by a 37? Good grief...

Mind you on the way back from Edinburgh we had a 47 all right- our HST broke down and we were dragged at (what seemed like) walking pace from Berwick to Newcastle.

It might be taking tablets that CAUSED the problem...

Keep taking the tablets Derek!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

So you line 47's then Derek ;) I do like like them I just like 40's an peaks a bit better, they look far better with head codes in place though. My first Dcc sound conversion was the 47 and it is one of my favourites let's hope I just don't ruin it with this bogie conversion :(

Cheers