Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Re-purposing old rail & sleepers/ties...

Just stumble across this on a wander of the internet looking for shortline track plans!

A good way of reusing some of the old the sleepers (ties in this link) and rail rather than the common garden retaining wall/pond/feature we see often enough.

http://freshome.com/2012/05/18/reuse-recycle-repurpose-with-rail-yard-studios/

Could make a few bookends with the amount of old rail laying around the network.

A good way of reusing some of the old the sleepers (ties in this link) and rail rather than the common garden retaining wall/pond/feature we see often enough.

The problem with used ties is that they are creosoted, or treated with some other 'nasty'. Not really the kind of thing you want in the house! That article says that what they use are new, imperfect timbers that have never been creosoted.

My Father has a one foot section of rail in his garage (gifted to him from a friend who used to work at Horwich loco works) which he used to use as a rudimentary anvil. My garden fence was made from old sleepers (being replaced because they were rotting out below ground) and I'm tempted to try and source a fastener to fix that piece of rail to one of the lengths of old sleepers and plant it in the centre of my garden railway as a feature of interest.

• RMweb Gold

The problem with used ties is that they are creosoted, or treated with some other 'nasty'. Not really the kind of thing you want in the house!

If sleepers have previously been used under passenger lines, there might be some other unpleasant "extras" - the sort I most certainly would not want in my living room ... .

• 3 months later...

Many years ago when I worked in a saw mill a customer brought in several old used railway sleepers, he wanted us to cut them down to use for shelves. We started cutting the first sleeper and after about 9 inches we snapped the saw blade, it wasn't a little saw blade either, it was a 3 inch wide 18 foot round tungstone tipped blade. It took us an hour to remove the sleeper from the saw so it was decided that these sleepers were only good for use in the garden and wouldn't need cutting afterall .

Archived