Hi Al,

I was very close to having a go at modelling Bakewell back in the 80's but it never transpired, I think it was the canopies that put me off back then. I then looked at Skipton, again canopies, then Tebay - easier canopies but Shiply MRC had done it and I realised just how BIG it wold have been. Strange how these places seem modellable until you actually sit down and work things out. So I took two and a bit decades to decide on Dent! Easy really - no canopies!!

Hi Al,

I was very close to having a go at modelling Bakewell back in the 80's but it never transpired, I think it was the canopies that put me off back then. I then looked at Skipton, again canopies, then Tebay - easier canopies but Shiply MRC had done it and I realised just how BIG it wold have been. Strange how these places seem modellable until you actually sit down and work things out. So I took two and a bit decades to decide on Dent! Easy really - no canopies!!

Chicken, cluck, cluck,cluck, hahhaha

Mind you that's why I've gone for Bitton, hahha

Bodge sitting on an egg. :O

Hi Mike and Andy

Mortimore your a pillock (round 1) :declare: . I was looking at signal 10, for some reason I did not see signal 9. :no:  I kept thinking "how odd no starter signal" :scratchhead:  I found my copy of GA Pryer's Signal Box Diagrams of the LMS (vol one) Bristol Area and sure enough there is a starter signal number 9 . Looked on Andy's OP and there was number 9. :O

Mortimore your a pillock (round 2). :declare:  Thanks Mike for clearing up what I was trying to say about trains approaching signals 11 and 10. :drinks:

The signal box diagram in the Pryer book is the same as in Andy's sketch.

Two other things

The signal box is a standard MR 15 foot (16ft 4 ins over corner post) by 10 foot box (11ft 4 ins over corner post), make it any bigger and Miss Rivette Counteer says she will have your whats-er-names as ear rings.  :scared:

Looking at the photos and track diagram in the Middleton Press book and the track diagrams on Old Maps http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html coordinates 366936 and 170483 seem to show the point work off the goods loop into the coal siding and the one running next to it as a three way point tandem turnout. The goods shed and loading dock had lost their sidings by the time the 1965 map was drawn.

Clive, Pillock, (round 3) check the link, hhahaha

Bodge.

Hi Al,

When I was deciding on my project I had chosen the S&C but looking at track plans I found almost all the locations had a station with a goods yard at a distance out from the platforms, Andy is lucky really, Bitton's yard is sort of behind the station so a bit of natural compression is already there.

Evening Mike, and I wanted a Goods Yard that was as per the prototype and easily accessible from the operators point of view for shunting, coupling / uncoupling possibly 3 link.

Bodge.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Clive, Pillock, (round 3) check the link, hhahaha

Bodge.

You need to put in the coordinates in the boxes marked coordinates.

OK Mortimore your a pillock (round 3) for not saying that. :nono:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Great stuff Neil, and thanks for the links.

Bodge.

You're getting more confused than me Andy :scratchhead: too many posts in one day :jester:

This was from the Semaphore site, http://semaphore.avonvalleyrailway.org/html/frames.html

You do have to search around it though to find relevent information

41243bitton.jpg

Ivatt 2-6-2T No. 41243 approaches Bitton Station with a three coach local train from Bristol, bound for Bath Green Park.  This photograph shows the layout at the north end of Bitton very well.  A Single Slip point (controlled by levers 4 and 5 in the signal box) gave access from the main line to the yard, which then fanned out into four sidings.  To the right can be seen the two, long coal sidings, whilst the point immediately in front of the photographer led one line, past a five ton capacity hand operated crane, through the goods shed; with the other curving around the outside of that building, and running in to the cattle dock.  The goods shed siding was closed and removed in 1964, followed by the other three sidings on 19th July 1965, two weeks after Bitton closed to goods traffic (5/7/1965).  As is well documented elsewhere, the last scheduled BR passenger trains ran on Saturday 5th March 1966, with the line closing the following day, along with the whole of the Somerset and Dorset Railway.  

Immediately behind the Ivatt, and largely hidden by it, can be seen Bitton Signal Box, a Midland Railway timber type 2B which opened on 19/7/1894, replacing an earlier box.  The signal box closed on 19th July 1965, when the yard sidings were closed, and was demolished long before preservationists reached the site in 1972.  In the middle, extreme right of the picture can be seen the tall Bitton Down Home signal, controlled by lever No. 2 in Bitton Box.  Just visible behind the last coach (between the down main and the head shunt) can be seen the yellow ground signal (lever 6) which controlled the exit of trains from the yard in a northerly direction.  A similar yellow ground signal (lever 7) controlled the exit of trains from the yard in a southerly direction, this being behind the photographer.

Photograph by Ronald E Toop.

I'm off to check my name now :sungum:

• Like 3

You're getting more confused than me Andy :scratchhead: too many posts in one day :jester:

This was from the Semaphore site, http://semaphore.avonvalleyrailway.org/html/frames.html

41243bitton.jpg

Ivatt 2-6-2T No. 41243 approaches Bitton Station with a three coach local train from Bristol, bound for Bath Green Park.  This photograph shows the layout at the north end of Bitton very well.  A Single Slip point (controlled by levers 4 and 5 in the signal box) gave access from the main line to the yard, which then fanned out into four sidings.  To the right can be seen the two, long coal sidings, whilst the point immediately in front of the photographer led one line, past a five ton capacity hand operated crane, through the goods shed; with the other curving around the outside of that building, and running in to the cattle dock.  The goods shed siding was closed and removed in 1964, followed by the other three sidings on 19th July 1965, two weeks after Bitton closed to goods traffic (5/7/1965).  As is well documented elsewhere, the last scheduled BR passenger trains ran on Saturday 5th March 1966, with the line closing the following day, along with the whole of the Somerset and Dorset Railway.  

Immediately behind the Ivatt, and largely hidden by it, can be seen Bitton Signal Box, a Midland Railway timber type 2B which opened on 19/7/1894, replacing an earlier box.  The signal box closed on 19th July 1965, when the yard sidings were closed, and was demolished long before preservationists reached the site in 1972.  In the middle, extreme right of the picture can be seen the tall Bitton Down Home signal, controlled by lever No. 2 in Bitton Box.  Just visible behind the last coach (between the down main and the head shunt) can be seen the yellow ground signal (lever 6) which controlled the exit of trains from the yard in a northerly direction.  A similar yellow ground signal (lever 7) controlled the exit of trains from the yard in a southerly direction, this being behind the photographer.

MICK, MICK MICK, :scared:

I apologize,  I typed Mick, posted, and then thought, NO ITS NEIL, so went in and edited it.

SORRY, as you say to many posts.

Bodge.

EDIT = Forgot to say, great pics and loads more really useful information mate, Cheers.

Splodge. :O

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

41243bitton.jpg

That's a really useful photo as it gives some scale to the length of track (about 180' ?) between the turnout that leads to the trailing connection to the Up and the turnout that leads to the trailing connection to the Down. Looking  at that, it really should not be difficult to fit the station into the Potting Shed without too much compromise.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike and Andy

Looking at the photos and track diagram in the Middleton Press book and the track diagrams on Old Maps http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html coordinates 366936 and 170483 seem to show the point work off the goods loop into the coal siding and the one running next to it as a three way point tandem turnout. The goods shed and loading dock had lost their sidings by the time the 1965 map was drawn.

Not having a good day, Mick's photo shows it is two points not a tandem :sorry:

You need to put in the coordinates in the boxes marked coordinates.

OK Mortimore your a pillock (round 3) for not saying that. :nono:

Hi Clive, I've put in the co ordinates and that BRILLIANT MATE, I now have the Road Under Bridge that I needed for the South end of the Station.

Not only that, I have also seen the Footpath that leads in from besides the bridge, and also Station Yard entrance.

So all in all fantastic mate.

Pity I cant copy the images from Google earth / man in the road.

Bodge

• Like 1

That's a really useful photo as it gives some scale to the length of track (about 180' ?) between the turnout that leads to the trailing connection to the Up and the turnout that leads to the trailing connection to the Down. Looking  at that, it really should not be difficult to fit the station into the Potting Shed without too much compromise.

Its getting better by the Day,

Cheers for pointing that out Joseph.

Bodge

• Like 1

Hi Clive, I've put in the co ordinates and that BRILLIANT MATE, I now have the Road Under Bridge that I needed for the South end of the Station.

Not only that, I have also seen the Footpath that leads in from besides the bridge, and also Station Yard entrance.

So all in all fantastic mate.

Pity I cant copy the images from Google earth / man in the road.

Bodge

You can do a screen grab, Snipping Tool in windows7 or try one of these

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-screen-capture-tool.htm#SnapDraw

or Faststone Viewer http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

screen grabbed from Google Maps

Thanks Mick, you've just done what I've been trying to do for the last half an hour..

This also gives me the bridge height as well.

Another great help.

For those who haven't worked it out, this is on the Bath side of the Station almost at the end of the Platform so I should be able to fit it in.

Cheers again Mick.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Yes Don I hadn't realised it would need to be so curved until I laid out the Templates on the carpet.

Jason is also doing it on copper clad I think and says he will build the trailing point, slip and point for the head shunt as one unit, I think that will come out at near 3 ft or so.

Jason lives 2 hours north of me and you live 2 hours south of me so no real difference, but when you offered I had intended to use ready built Marcway.

Re the Double slip on the Goods Road / Head Shunt, I would rather stick with the prototype plan if I can.

Cheers again

Bodge.

Two hours you would be lucky I generally allow an hour from Minehead to reach the Motorway ( the A39 is a pig with very few passing places)  then its M5 M42 quite a way.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The signal box at Bitton looks like a Midland 2B box. 15' in length. There is no window in the front wall of the locking room so a ratio kit can quite easily be shortened with the front wall made from wills sheet!

Digby models did a kit back in the 1980s but I doubt that you will find one now.

Good picture of bitton signal cabin here

Edit: The box which stands there today is not the original!

And this one

post-8964-0-38562900-1409265948.jpg

This is the Digby models version

post-8964-0-23365700-1409266824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

The signal box at Bitton looks like a Midland 2B box. 15' in length. There is no window in the front wall of the locking room so a ratio kit can quite easily be shortened with the front wall made from wills sheet!

Digby models did a kit back in the 1980s but I doubt that you will find one now.

Good picture of bitton signal cabin here

And this one

attachicon.gifBitton_Signal_Box1.jpg

This is the Digby models version

attachicon.gifsignal box.JPG

The Airfix Kit of Oakham Level Crossing (Rutland) box was a Midland Type 2B

post-15323-0-34941900-1409267707.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the Airfix one has had its day. Ratio do a good Midland box which can be kit-bashed (bodged?) or you could really push the boat out and get the York Modelmaking Midland box bits and pieces.

• RMweb Gold

Form some unknown reason the old Airfix kit doesn't measure up well. There is an article in the June 2001 Railway modeler on how to remodel it by Paul Lunn. 

I think the Airfix one has had its day. Ratio do a good Midland box which can be kit-bashed (bodged?) or you could really push the boat out and get the York Modelmaking Midland box bits and pieces.

I used the Ratio kit as the basis for modelling Bakewell, and I think Captain Kernow used it as the basis for his modelling as well, it seems quite a good choice.

However, didn't Andy say he already has a signalbox in storage for this?

Al.

I used the Ratio kit as the basis for modelling Bakewell, and I think Captain Kernow used it as the basis for his modelling as well, it seems quite a good choice.

However, didn't Andy say he already has a signalbox in storage for this?

Al.

Yep, I have the Hornby Skaledale one, its (EDIT = NOT )the correct one and (EDIT = SO WILL HAVE  TO GO) and by the correct one,once detailed inside will drop in nicely.

post-9335-0-67613400-1409297424.jpg

Bodge

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Morning Shaun, Mick and Jonathan, yes as you will see above I have the Hornby one which is spot on dimensionally and so its just the interior to fit out.

I have all I need for the Station including a foot bridge, but again pictures seem to be elusive and I'm wondering if there ever was one.

Bodge.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Your last picture looks to differ quite a bit from the picture of Bitton in post 544. The front wall window arrangement has 4 x 3 in the model all in the same vertical plane but the Bitton box has 3 x 3 with the centre overlaid on the two side frames.

The lower wall at Bitton doesn't have the mid vertical seen on the model.

My comments assume the picture of Bitton is not of the first box. Please don't accuse me of rivet window counting. You're probably well aware of the differences.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Ray H, the Bitton signalbox is shorter than the Skaledale one.

It would be possible to shorten the Ratio kit to match (I think that's what CK did).

EDIT:

Yes he did, on Callow Lane, see here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/21/entry-5499-callow-lane-signalbox-part-2-a-re-think-and-a-re-build/

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby one is wrong if you want to model Bitton, it has four double front windows whereas the photo of Bitton's one only has three double windows. Same with the front panel, two against one.

We've all posted together. Great minds....

Edited by Rowsley17D