Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Don't forget handbuilt points are usually longer than Peco ones.

I was a little concerned when I saw that you'd started cutting baseboard tops because I think you should get the track plan worked out before you cut any more and build the boards to suit as this is a permanent layout so board sizes within the overall length constraint are that critical.

Ray, I haven't cut any baseboard tops yet, and I wont until I am happy with the final track positioning and laid the point templates from the Templot Plan from Cav.

The area to the front of the board that appears will be built up to the high level once the roadway is marked out.

I have allowed 1ft per point, i.e. 3ft for  the 3 points from the Down Platform into the loop, the feed to the Shed release Road and the end to the Goods Shed Point. Now it may take up another 6 inches or so, but I have a foot to play with in the loop anyway, so I should be O.K.

post-9335-0-87731500-1416349097_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Mick, I've just been on Google View and your dead right, it goes quite narrow just inside the entrance, I tried to download the view but it wont let me but here is the link;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bitton,+Bristol,+South+Gloucestershire+BS30/@51.4301212,-2.4749357,50m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4871844c20f21091:0xcfadde047c5fd91a

I will try again later.

Cheers Mick.

Here are views from google

post-15323-0-08671900-1416357887_thumb.jpg

post-15323-0-78688100-1416357895_thumb.jpg

post-15323-0-81487800-1416357906_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Morning Mick, Thanks for the pics above, there a great help, I will be producing a proper baseboard plan later and yes the front will be curved and flow with the shape of the yard.

Electrician is due in half an hour so I will be back later.

Cheers again Mick, I tried all sorts of ways to download those images last night, but I never noticed the Gate Post marks.

Best to use screen capture.  There are plenty of free software programs that will do that.

Heres just one of them http://tinytake.com/

Thanks Mick, I am worried that doing another Download may cause the same problems that I had with the Flip Flop the other week, my problem is that I know so little about programs etc.

But thanks anyway.

Its a key on your keyboard Andy not on the screen. Above insert usually. It copies the screen to clipboard so you can then paste it into any other program such as paint, photoshop, word etc.

Also Andys drug habits are his own business Ray!

• Like 2

Its a key on your keyboard Andy not on the screen. Above insert usually. It copies the screen to clipboard so you can then paste it into any other program such as paint, photoshop, word etc.

Also Andys drug habits are his own business Ray!

Andy

Do you have a Prt Sc key on your flip flop?

Cheers Guys, tried that including holding down the OTHER THINGY that's says Shift.

Anyway, the Electrician's been and done a fine job, really pleased.

I have drawn a grid reference on the baseboards and laid out the track and I will post some pics later once I have them sorted but here is  a plan of how the Layout will sit in the baseboards.

Red is the baseboard edge,

Blue is how the tracks will need to bend around to fit the Room.

post-9335-0-39566800-1416409938_thumb.png

And one of the pics from later, I haver about 40 to sort out when I get back from walking the Dog.

post-9335-0-42123500-1416410041_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Andy I used that pan of yours in Templot but used the program to bend the drawing to suit your room. Thats what my plan is. If you use my plan as a guide youll have better control of your baseboards as my templot takes into account the track rads in all areas to make sure nothingbis tighter than 4ft (except Jasons bit which is conjecture as he didnt have the template of his crossing). Would you like a full size version of my plan to date so that you can get a better idea of fit?

• Like 1

Cheers Guys, tried that including holding down the OTHER THINGY that's says Shift.

When you look at this post.

Press the Prt Scr Key only

Open Word

Press the Paste icon

You now see what was on the screen when you read the post.

That is the basics.  If you did the same but opened Paint instead then you get more options like adding text, boxes, circles etc.

The other free software I mentioned does far more, you can capture part of a screen and add text and draw on your capture all in the one program.

Andy I used that pan of yours in Templot but used the program to bend the drawing to suit your room. Thats what my plan is. If you use my plan as a guide youll have better control of your baseboards as my templot takes into account the track rads in all areas to make sure nothingbis tighter than 4ft (except Jasons bit which is conjecture as he didnt have the template of his crossing). Would you like a full size version of my plan to date so that you can get a better idea of fit?

Hi Cav, Yes I would like a full plan so that I can print off the points, but before you do, please allow me to give you some more information in the following post that may be of use to you.

Open Word

Press the Paste icon

That is the basics.  If you did the same but opened Paint instead then you get more options like adding text, boxes, circles etc.

The other free software I mentioned does far more, you can capture part of a screen and add text and draw on your capture all in the one program.

Thanks Mick, I'll have another play later.

• RMweb Premium

It is nearly 2 hours since the electrician finished and we've not seen any trains running or any grass sewn on the baseboards. I'm giving up and going to look at the Dent thread. Far more interesting!

P.S. Glad the electrician has done a good job.

Hi all, well today whilst the Electrician was doing the wiring I made a start with my major planning.

Now I know Cav (RBE) is going to do the plan in Templot but this is my old tried and tested method, and some bits of information here may help Cav with the final Plan.

Firstly I drew a grid of 1ft squares all over the Baseboards in faint black pen.

Then I laid the Track out and using point templates from Marcway and C & L, I plotted roughly what I would need, now I know when Cav produces the final article some of the strait Points will have a curve to them, but this is just a guide for length and angles etc.

post-9335-0-17819500-1416416030_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-38085200-1416416071_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-44167900-1416416084_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-46863400-1416416099_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-44119100-1416416111_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-22157700-1416416125_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-64161200-1416416139_thumb.jpg

Next I checked for the flow of the plan, as I wanted, like the prototype, to have no strait lines along the back, the sheet of Ply along the back represents the Grass Embankment as per the prototype.

post-9335-0-23910300-1416416238_thumb.jpg

In the Goods Yard there has been much debate about the points that George and I made up the other day, I have inserted them onto the Layout for now just to see how they would look, and TBH I also wanted both these points to be on the Centre Board. My personal feeling is that there not to bad, but Cav and you others will no doubt correct me on this issue.

post-9335-0-28852100-1416416616_thumb.jpg

The radius coming out of the Storage Yard by the door will be 36'' opening out to 48'' on the visible section across the door on an Embankment, this then opens to 60'' through the Station Platforms, these are the only two gauges I have.

post-9335-0-60937500-1416416807_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-04026800-1416417037_thumb.jpg

Then the Helicopter Shot to see how it all looks.

post-9335-0-07952100-1416417151_thumb.jpg

And then the points that I have used in the plan, from left to right along the Layout commencing with the Trailing Point from the Down Line by the Platform, a B7 R/H.

post-9335-0-71358200-1416417269_thumb.jpg

Next I have used a MARCWAY 72'' Y Point template for the Cattle Dock / Goods release Road.

post-9335-0-47679800-1416417494_thumb.jpg

Then its a B7 L/H into the Goods Shed.

post-9335-0-70689400-1416417566_thumb.jpg

And then a B6 R/H into the second Coal Road.

post-9335-0-72309000-1416417639_thumb.jpg

With a B6 L/H feeding from the Goods Loop.

post-9335-0-33431300-1416417712_thumb.jpg

The next Point along is the Head Shunt / Slip access, for this I have  used a B7 R/H.

post-9335-0-99893700-1416417800_thumb.jpg

Then its the Slip and Trailing Point that young Jason T has made up, I have used a 72'' Left Curved Point and strait Double Slip to test for room here.

As you can see from this shot from the door, I have only mocked things up to try things out, but I am please with its shape and room in the Station area and Goods Yard without it looking over crowded, which is why I always test with Vehicles on the Layout as you get a better idea of size that way.

Also of important note is that the Goods Loop will hold 14 Vans plus the Brake Van and a 7F without fouling the Points at the Warmley end, and just sits on the Points at the Bath end, the book says it hold 15 - 16 wagons so I am O.K.

post-9335-0-43330200-1416418213_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

You can see how Andy always manages to produce such divine results. The tweaking that goes on and in this case, the amount of planning he's done are already paying off.

I am looking forward to one thing. I can't for the life of me work out how he plans to convert the telephone handset in the last picture into a set of coal drops! Interesting times lay ahead don't you know.

• Like 2

Open Word

Press the Paste icon

NO, nothing at all mate, not even a glimmer of any of anything happening.