Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

I'm not sure where to find it, I have seen it myself, but on here somewhere, there is a thread that shows old rail maps

Could be this http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74639-using-historic-os-maps-to-trace-disused-railways-and-tramways/

Edit:   I think this is the site you may be looking for http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/

If not, in the search box at the top of the page enter, old railway maps, click on This Topic and choose your search options

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Its no wonder we have no decent trees in this fair isle, between the Royal Navy 'of old' building ships of the line, Merchant's ships etc. and the railway companies laying a tree every 1/4 mile or less! I'm saying nothing about being a joiner though.

Andy,

You 'Formatted' the hard drive and it still works, you really have me confused as I thought everything disappeared when that was done!

YEAH AGAIN, what I meant was, I Formatted the SUPLIMENTRY Hard Drive that plugs in. hahhaha

• Like 3

Yep, I've got the fancy digital camera, camcorder, Ian allens Combined Volume, OXO tin full of sarnies, Lyons pies, now just waiting for Spock's teletransporter and then I'm ready to go :senile:

Bl**dy hell, I hope its not what you're thinking Mike :O

I think what Andy meant was his external drive.  Please say that's what is was Andy :scared: :scared: :scared:

Hi Mike, yes calm down dear, it was my External Floppy thing on a lead that plugs into the Black Box on my knee. 

I could do with an old map or pics of the cutting at the Warmley end showing the bridge.

• Like 3

That's the one. Only had time for a quick reply.

Too much in the way of decorating, repairs and cooking to do today and far too much good sport as well (F1 and Rugby (the real game isn't on until 17:00)) :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  :sungum:  

Yes Qualifying was good, looking forward to the race tomorrow, but I will be posting in the F1 2014, in the Wheeltappers Section later.

• Like 3

Not old photos, but I think this website might interest you http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/Category:MR

Thanks Mick, I thought it was a 3 Arch on a curve and skewed, Bu66er, mine will be the scenic break into the fiddle yard so will be fairly tight at that end, but at least the cutting will hide most of it.

Thanks for those mate, really good stuff, I'll have a look at the web site later as well.

Lee's been up again today and we / he has finished off the tops to the BB3 and so I am now read for young Jason T on Friday.

post-9335-0-85495500-1416675880_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-61967400-1416675888_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-19080100-1416675895_thumb.jpg

I have also printed off all 57 pages of the Templot Plan that Cav (RBE) sent down to me, and so tomorrow after the Grand Prix I will go out and Hoover the boards clean and try and lay it down, then I will re Print the relevant pages for building the points on the bench.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Lee's been up again today and we / he has finished off the tops to the BB3 and so I am now read for young Jason T on Friday.

attachicon.gifBaseboards 1 2 3 ready for plan 002.JPG

attachicon.gifBaseboards 1 2 3 ready for plan 003.JPG

attachicon.gifBaseboards 1 2 3 ready for plan 004.JPG

I have also printed off all 57 pages of the Templot Plan that Cav (RBE) sent down to me, and so tomorrow after the Grand Prix I will go out and Hoover the boards clean and try and lay it down, then I will re Print the relevant pages for building the points on the bench.

Seeing those pics, I'm going to try and worm my way out of my commitments next week and come down with Jason. If only it were that easy...

Well, maybe the following visit will see some track in place and I can have a "play"!!

The den is looking very good, Andy.

Jeff

• Like 2

Thanks Mick, I thought it was a 3 Arch on a curve and skewed, Bu66er, mine will be the scenic break into the fiddle yard so will be fairly tight at that end, but at least the cutting will hide most of it.

Thanks for those mate, really good stuff, I'll have a look at the web site later as well.

It could well be three arch, certainly shows two arches in those small photos.  Yes it is skewed.  Cannot see anything either side of the bridge on google street view as the embankments are overgrown with trees.

post-15323-0-80499100-1416676279.jpg

• Like 5

Seeing those pics, I'm going to try and worm my way out of my commitments next week and come down with Jason. If only it were that easy...

Well, maybe the following visit will see some track in place and I can have a "play"!!

The den is looking very good, Andy.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I have LOADS planned for Friday and it will be a good day, Lee has done a fantastic job with the Baseboards and I think this will be the first Layout I have had with FLAT, LEVEL STRAIT Baseboards, and very little sawdust left over.

I cant wait to see my Slip that Jason has made, and if I can have the plan down and a couple of spare plans we could even make up another Point.

I hope you can make it mate, it would be good.

I have loads of people that want to come down and all will be invited as I owe some people some favours, and they know who they are, but that will be once something is running.

As the point building takes a lot less time than I thought it would, I think I will have something running sooner than expected originally.

• Like 6

It could well be three arch, certainly shows two arches in those small photos.  Yes it is skewed.  Cannot see anything either side of the bridge on google street view as the embankments are overgrown with trees.

Mick, the book I have shows a 3 Arch Bridge almost the same as that, but I think its nearer to Warmley, but it could be the same one, but the books in the Shed and I cant be asse* to go out there now as its raining.

I will have another look through, it could be the same bridge, and the one in the book shows it many years ago before the embankment was overgrown.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris, yes indeed, Lee has really made this Project possible, without him I would still be considering a 6 x 4 Potting Shed, ahhaha.

I thought you still had that in mind for the branch line

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Two things, stop giving Lee any tea, he will get the job done faster. :nono: :nono:

Second, using the birds eye in Bing Maps of thge line all the over bridges seem to be 3 arch, the one carrying Cherry Gardens Lane has a load of under growth around it today. Next time you go on holiday go somewhere near Bitton. Visit the station and take your pruning shears with you so that you can cut back the bushes and see the whole bridge.  :sungum:

• Like 7

Hi Andy

Two things, stop giving Lee any tea, he will get the job done faster. :nono: :nono:

Second, using the birds eye in Bing Maps of thge line all the over bridges seem to be 3 arch, the one carrying Cherry Gardens Lane has a load of under growth around it today. Next time you go on holiday go somewhere near Bitton. Visit the station and take your pruning shears with you so that you can cut back the bushes and see the whole bridge.  :sungum:

He doesn't drink much, usually just the one coffee which he normally drinks COLD, Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :no:  :no: :no:  

• Like 3

Hi Andy

Yes, Bing Maps does show better ariel images than Google

Edited by Donington Road

• RMweb Premium

Andy (and George, remotely)

Look at Cav's point templates and I think you'll find that there is a mix of different width "timbers" - aka PCB strip used in a point. Don't confuse the width with the thickness of the PCB strip which some of the previous comments above seem to suggest that you may be doing.

I think you will find that 1.6mm (thick) strip (of any width) is nearer to the thickness of the likes of Peco sleepers but I can't comment about SMP and other nearer to scale sleeper spaced track.

I did try earlier to explain what I understand to be the story of OO-SF. My understanding is that it is intended to remove the unsightly gaps between frogs and adjacent check rails and improve running over the gap between the nose of the frog and the ends of the closure rails. It does so by taking advantage of the historical flexibility with standard OO wheel tolerances.

If you were to put a modern wagon on a piece of Peco (for example) track and look at the two end on you would see that the inside faces of the wheel flanges are nowhere near the inside faces of the rails on which the wheel treads are resting. The visible gap is probably around 1mm. Look how thin the (modern) wheel flanges are as well.

Now look at a (for example) Peco point and look at the space between the running rail faces of the rails of the frog and the faces of the adjacent wing rails.

These reasons for the width of these gaps are historical and as I hope I have demonstrated they're no longer necessary with modern stock (and for modern read 15-20 years old if not older, so I'm told).

There are a number of ways to improve things but the OO-SF solution does what it does with only a minimal chance that B2Bs of rolling stock will need to be adjusted.

Start with the frog of a point. Now move the adjacent wing rail, the check rail and the stock rail 0.3mm closer to the running rail face of the frog - 0.3mm is the difference between the track gauge that OO-SF uses and the more universally understood 16.5mm of conventional OO. You've reduced the unsightly gap between wing rail and frog by removing some of the play that is built into OO-BF measurements to accommodate what amounts to pre-historic wheel geometry.

This is hopefully a very simplistic description of what OO-SF is about and how it came into being (as far as I understand it). I am not specifically and pointedly trying to convert people, I'm simply trying to explain my understanding of the way it achieves what it does for Andy's benefit based on his comment in a recent post. It took me a little while to get to grips with it but I have only been prevented from using it on my hand built points because the inbuilt curves on the frog rails on small radius points aren't really compatible with the finer tolerances that OO-SF uses.

My current layout used Peco points for speed (of laying track). I have every intention with my next layout of building my own points and using larger radii for them so that I can build them to OO-SF standards.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Ray H

Andy (and George, remotely)

Look at Cav's point templates and I think you'll find that there is a mix of different width "timbers" - aka PCB strip used in a point. Don't confuse the width with the thickness of the PCB strip which some of the previous comments above seem to suggest that you may be doing.

I think you will find that 1.6mm (thick) strip (of any width) is nearer to the thickness of the likes of Peco sleepers but I can't comment about SMP and other nearer to scale sleeper spaced track.

I did try earlier to explain what I understand to be the story of OO-SF. My understanding is that it is intended to remove the unsightly gaps between frogs and adjacent check rails and improve running over the gap between the nose of the frog and the ends of the closure rails. It does so by taking advantage of the historical flexibility with standard OO wheel tolerances.

If you were to put a modern wagon on a piece of Peco (for example) track and look at the two end on you would see that the inside faces of the wheel flanges are nowhere near the inside faces of the rails on which the wheel treads are resting. The visible gap is probably around 1mm. Look how thin the (modern) wheel flanges are as well.

Now look at a (for example) Peco point and look at the space between the running rail faces of the rails of the frog and the faces of the adjacent wing rails.

These reasons for the width of these gaps are historical and as I hope I have demonstrated they're no longer necessary with modern stock (and for modern read 15-20 years old if not older, so I'm told).

There are a number of ways to improve things but the OO-SF solution does what it does with only a minimal chance that B2Bs of rolling stock will need to be adjusted.

Start with the frog of a point. Now move the adjacent wing rail, the check rail and the stock rail 0.3mm closer to the running rail face of the frog - 0.3mm is the difference between the track gauge that OO-SF uses and the more universally understood 16.5mm of conventional OO. You've reduced the unsightly gap between wing rail and frog by removing some of the play that is built into OO-BF measurements to accommodate what amounts to pre-historic wheel geometry.

This is hopefully a very simplistic description of what OO-SF is about and how it came into being (as far as I understand it). I am not specifically and pointedly trying to convert people, I'm simply trying to explain my understanding of the way it achieves what it does for Andy's benefit based on his comment in a recent post. It took me a little while to get to grips with it but I have only been prevented from using it on my hand built points because the inbuilt curves on the frog rails on small radius points aren't really compatible with the finer tolerances that OO-SF uses.

My current layout used Peco points for speed (of laying track). I have every intention with my next layout of building my own points and using larger radii for them so that I can build them to OO-SF standards.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Ray, I am using the 4mm x 1.06 Sleepers now, the same as Jason has used on the slip, so that as Clive said Point Timbers are wider than Rail Timbers.

Thanks for all the other info as well.

All the track info has as I have said sadly come too late for me but its very interesting and has answered several of my niggling problems for which I am eternally grateful. One thing I still don't know is what OO-SF & OO-BF stands for though?

Andy,

You will be out there for hours fiddling with those Templot print-outs! I wish I was nearer so I could laugh at assist you aligning them, all 57 of them......have fun!