Looks to me like it just needs less curve coming out of the goods shed using the same right hand point or possibly a 'Y'.

See below.

Mick as you can see I have now re visited the two points in the Goods Roads.

Firstly the point behind the shed came off at a 60'' radius but then straightend up, it now continues that curve for the whole of its length to the Heel of the other point. 

Now with the other point at the end of the Shed Road, I have re done the radius to 48'' and now with the two combined I have gained 3'' at the Buffer Stops.

post-9335-0-66023900-1419183348_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-63346500-1419183361_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-54148400-1419183370_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-84920100-1419183380_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-75324500-1419183390_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-67393200-1419183407_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mick for encouraging me to re visit this area,

Another job done.

• Like 9

Andy

What radius are those curves on the main line at the far end of the shed? Are they more than 3ft?

Hi Ray, the curves on the Main Line at the far end are about 60'' through the pointwork but will drop to 48'' in the cutting and down to 36'' in the Storage Yard.

The same through the Platforms, there about 90'' we recon through the Platform and then dropping to 72'' at the start of the embankment, they will then drop through 60'' down to 48'' just before the Storage Yard and the 36'' in the yard itself.

The points into the Coal Yard are 48'' inner and 60'' outer. and the point into the Shed is 60''.

See below.

Mick as you can see I have now re visited the two points in the Goods Roads.

Firstly the point behind the shed came off at a 60'' radius but then straightend up, it now continues that curve for the whole of its length to the Heel of the other point. 

Now with the other point at the end of the Shed Road, I have re done the radius to 48'' and now with the two combined I have gained 3'' at the Buffer Stops.

attachicon.gifRe visited Goods Shed Points 001.JPG

attachicon.gifRe visited Goods Shed Points 002.JPG

attachicon.gifRe visited Goods Shed Points 003.JPG

attachicon.gifRe visited Goods Shed Points 004.JPG

attachicon.gifRe visited Goods Shed Points 005.JPG

attachicon.gifRe visited Goods Shed Points 006.JPG

Thanks Mick for encouraging me to re visit this area,

Another job done.

That does look a lot better flow out of the goods shed.  When you get rid of the Peco and do your own track it will be even better.

Also it leaves more room for the weighbridge area

post-15323-0-28184000-1419187289_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Yes its all fitting better now, although still not sure about the end loading dock, I am assuming there was one, but I haven't seen any pics either old or new with one in.

attachicon.gifOriginal full Station Plan - in board..png

I am sure it was end loading Andy.

I would also try and bring the siding away from the station building a little more.  More in-line with the exit from the goods shed road.

Perhaps the lack of photos is that it would be hidden from platform views because of the wall on the back edge of the platforms.

post-15323-0-10162300-1419188672.jpg

• Like 1

In your book Mangotsfield to Bath, page 139, is that photo any clearer then the one you posted here on page 26 of this thread.

The ground is up to platform height alongside the siding for the cattle dock, so it makes sense that the end of the siding is for end loading.

Note: it ain't half easy to find past photos when you have an index :sungum:

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 2

I am sure it was end loading Andy.

I would also try and bring the siding away from the station building a little more.  More in-line with the exit from the goods shed road.

Perhaps the lack of photos is that it would be hidden from platform views because of the wall on the back edge of the platforms.

attachicon.gifendloading.jpg

In your book Mangotsfield to Bath, page 139, is that photo any clearer then the one you posted here on page 26 of this thread.

The ground is up to platform height alongside the siding for the cattle dock, so it makes sense that the end of the siding is for end loading.

Note: it ain't half easy to find past photos when you have an index :sungum:

Yes your right on both counts, firstly the index and secondly the End Loading would be at the end of the Cattle Dock Road, and I'm also going to leave the ground raised alongside the release road as that will give me a side loading onto there as well.

Sorted :no:

Cheers Mick

• Like 1

I've just put my Blue Sound Heljan 27 on E-Bay as I have a Sound Blue Peak on its way, so that along with the pair of 20's, a 25, 33, and two 47's should almost cover the Blue period.

I may get a 44 and 46 at some point, but I'm not sure about Westerns etc, I don't have a love affair with them for some reason.

Edited by Andrew P

Good afternoon all, I've had a quiet couple of days after a stressful Saturday morning and afternoon fitting poit motors to a friends Layout, its a good job I went over to Jeff's, (Binney) on Saturday night to chill out.

Anyway today I have just had a couple of hours sitting at my very untidy workbench, (looking at it, you'd think I'd been in that shed for years, I must have a tidy up later).

post-9335-0-77307300-1419259557_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I have been gapping the points for the electrics, I've only got 3 more to do later.

I have just taken the top skim of copper clad off with the grinder on the dremel, that way they shouldn't need any filler,(I do have some Delux Materials Plastic Putty if I kneed it), but I will see how they look once painted. I have also been conscious not to do them to uniformly as that would draw the eye to a line down the track.

post-9335-0-51377600-1419259598_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-36620800-1419259611_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-88335900-1419259621_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-96787700-1419259632_thumb.jpg

More from me later.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

Hi Andy,

That's the way I've done it before, looks good to me!

That's the sign of a good workbench and productive use thereof, that it's (slightly!) untidy, good on yer for getting it to look like that already.

Before I go, I hope you and Dee and your lovely dog have a great Christmas and a very happy new year.

All the best for 2015,

John.

• Like 4

O.K. well I've done Big Bertha and its now connected to the Headshunt / Slip facing point, so will all go down as one, and is now electrically sound.

post-9335-0-77655600-1419268643_thumb.jpg

And I had that clean up I promised myself, I'm impressed :O

post-9335-0-33419800-1419268708_thumb.jpg

DONT LOOK IN THE BIN OR DRAWS hahhaha :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Do you have a few minutes tomorrow, if so nip down to Chelmsford and tidy up my work bench, my dining room table, my computer desk, and the two layouts, I think that is almost all my modelling mess. Oh be careful not to step on Ranelagh Bridge as none of the track is connected yet. 

post-16423-0-80096900-1419272491_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-95579500-1419272513_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

Hi Andy

Do you have a few minutes tomorrow, if so nip down to Chelmsford and tidy up my work bench, my dining room table, my computer desk, and the two layouts, I think that is almost all my modelling mess. Oh be careful not to step on Ranelagh Bridge as none of the track is connected yet. 

attachicon.gif001.JPG

attachicon.gif002.JPG

Hi Clive, thanks for the offer mate, but I'm washing my HAIR, hhahahhaa :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

O.K. well I've done Big Bertha and its now connected to the Headshunt / Slip facing point, so will all go down as one, and is now electrically sound.

attachicon.gifBig Bertha Gapping 002.JPG

And I had that clean up I promised myself, I'm impressed :O

attachicon.gifBig Bertha Gapping 003.JPG

DONT LOOK IN THE BIN OR DRAWS hahhaha :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Hi Andy,

How is the shed standing up to your expectations of it being warm and cosy.

Some curtains might not go amiss to shut out that darkness.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

How is the shed standing up to your expectations of it being warm and cosy.

Some curtains might not go amiss to shut out that darkness.

Hi Mick, almost to warm, I go in and flick the heater on for ten mins and that's normally enough, and yes I must get the curtains done soon as well.

• Like 1