• RMweb Premium

Impressed with your progress as always Bodgemeister.

It's great to know that you'll be running trains from different eras, throwing in a bit of imagination is what separates a good layout from a great one in my opinion !

BR blue is how I remember the railways so am quite fond of it. Brighton was usually full of 4 car EMUnits and I'd get quite exited as a kid seeing a Crompton,  class 47 or even one of those ED/73s, sad git that I am!

That track work is really looking the bees knees BTW.

Regards Shaun

• Like 1

Impressed with your progress as always Bodgemeister.

It's great to know that you'll be running trains from different eras, throwing in a bit of imagination is what separates a good layout from a great one in my opinion !

BR blue is how I remember the railways so am quite fond of it. Brighton was usually full of 4 car EMUnits and I'd get quite exited as a kid seeing a Crompton,  class 47 or even one of those ED/73s, sad git that I am!

That track work is really looking the bees knees BTW.

Regards Shaun

Thanks Shaun, I got into Trains in 77 so it was all Blue then, I was living near Portsmouth and would go down to Fratton in my Lunch Hour and see 50's, 47's, and 33's coming in with the Salisbury, Cardiff and Exeter Trains, and running light back through the wash and onto the Fueling Point, aghhhhh great memories.

Later I also worked in Chichester and would see Large Logo Blue 56's with Cargowagons on, bound for a small Warehouse just past the Station towards Bognor, then there was  Daily delivery's of Fuel to a Depot out towards Bognor, Think I need some 100T TEA's, hahhah.

• Like 6

Hi Andy,

Good progress mate, the first bit of track laid by page 159, surely that has to be an RMWeb record!?

Nonetheless its a milestone passed with many more to go, I did spot the trusty PECO track spacer!...... If it helps make about 3 or 4 ... 1" x 3/8" x 4" long pieces of ply or softwood strip and just rub the 3/8" section on top of the two rails you have already laid, this puts a line on the timber which you can cut down slightly with a saw which you can then place over the two tracks as you lay them keeping the flow of the line held in position as you pin or glue between, they also stay upright rather than the PECO one which does not.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Good progress mate, the first bit of track laid by page 159, surely that has to be an RMWeb record!?

Nonetheless its a milestone passed with many more to go, I did spot the trusty PECO track spacer!...... If it helps make about 3 or 4 ... 1" x 3/8" x 4" long pieces of ply or softwood strip and just rub the 3/8" section on top of the two rails you have already laid, this puts a line on the timber which you can cut down slightly with a saw which you can then place over the two tracks as you lay them keeping the flow of the line held in position as you pin or glue between, they also stay upright rather than the PECO one which does not.

Good idea Mike, I will find some bits of off cuts and do just that, I will probably end up with about a dozen the WRONG SIZE first as I HATE CARPENTRY. hhhahahhahhaheee

• RMweb Gold

If Andy will excuse a slight diversion. You can avoid all them notifications when following a topic by simply posting something in any topic you are interested in then if you click on your username at top right and select My content, you then get a choice of all th threads you have posted in, in order of the latest entries. As someone post in Bitton several times a day at least that will always be on page one along with ERs,  Lunster Lounge A Nod to Brent and other popular threads.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy 

Beat you http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87205-sheffield-exchange-track-laying-gang-have-been-busy/?p=1734770   :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Oh select you own non RMweb word  I am going to have Sergeant Shoutalot drilling the recruits on my platforms before they board their trains to go on leave.   :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

• Like 1

If Andy will excuse a slight diversion. You can avoid all them notifications when following a topic by simply posting something in any topic you are interested in then if you click on your username at top right and select My content, you then get a choice of all th threads you have posted in, in order of the latest entries. As someone post in Bitton several times a day at least that will always be on page one along with ERs,  Lunster Lounge A Nod to Brent and other popular threads.

Don

Good info Don, it does seem that a few have taken my comment a bit seriously though. It was meant as a tongue in cheek reply to the post above mine. I like getting instant notifications it lets me see whats going on without having to go look!

• Like 2

Evening guys, this is the first time I've logged on today so I thought I'd have a look and see what's appertaing on here, and well obviously not a lot.

I hope to get some REAL work done on the Layout tomorrow, but not sure what just yet, but rest assured I will have some updates and pics to post tomorrow.

• Like 4

Evening guys, this is the first time I've logged on today so I thought I'd have a look and see what's appertaing on here, and well obviously not a lot.

I hope to get some REAL work done on the Layout tomorrow, but not sure what just yet, but rest assured I will have some updates and pics to post tomorrow.

Its only fair that if you have a day off then we can too :senile:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Slow down a bit Andy, we might make page 200 before you run a train all the way round the layout.

We've done s*u*a*e* to death, how about your fleet of mineral wagons to while away a few more pages.

Go on, you know you can do it - with a little help from your friends on RMweb.

:jester:

Afternoon Guys and Gals, Well Lee came up this morning and between cups of coffee and putting the world to rights we / he fitted the Dowels on the 3 main boards and then we did the two Electrical sockets.

There are fitted so that as the boards are slid into the dowels the Electrical blocks slide together as well and are nice and tight.

post-9335-0-02092500-1420902039_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-13397700-1420902058_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-13137700-1420902070_thumb.jpg

More later I hope.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Tops marks for that. Much easier and probably safer than having trailing leads. One to be copied by me and a fair few others I suspect.

Are you going to be lucky enough to survive with only 12 inter-board links?

• Like 1

I like it, Andy.  Super idea, wish I had thought of that before fitted my electrics --- such as they are.  Only power to track sections and electro magnets.  Points operated by switches and rods from the edge of the board, signals will be by levers again at the edge of the boards.

Derek

• RMweb Gold

Looks Good Andy. At least you can lose the note of the interbaseboard connections! I too find those push together choc blocks very useful. No soldering upside down and they can take a fair current.

Don

• Like 2

Hi ray, Derek and Don. there so easy to fit and a doddle if anything goes wrong. or if they were out. although my boards will not should not come apart once wired.

The max I need is 12 on the next board, I have worked them all out very carefully, but we have cut enough board away that if I needed to add to them, there is room.

• Like 6

Looking really good so far, Andy.  I do like that sky you have created.  I'll be back to tap your brains when I get that far.

I'm not sure, but are those track pins holding down the copper clad I can see in that last pic?  

I once made that mistake and it took hours to find the short.  Each time you lift the track it will be fine.  Put it down again and sooner or later the pin will short through the top to the bottom and if it happens on both sides of the track you will have a dead short that is a nightmare to find.

• Like 1

Looking really good so far, Andy.  I do like that sky you have created.  I'll be back to tap your brains when I get that far.

I'm not sure, but are those track pins holding down the copper clad I can see in that last pic?  

I once made that mistake and it took hours to find the short.  Each time you lift the track it will be fine.  Put it down again and sooner or later the pin will short through the top to the bottom and if it happens on both sides of the track you will have a dead short that is a nightmare to find.

Thanks Gordon, no, no track pins were used in the making of this Layout, hahaha, I did read that in your thread I'm sure, so I took note.

• RMweb Premium

Good progress mate, its great to see some track go down followed by grass on SUNDAY

DON'T encourage him!

Andy, should you need further inspiration - look at the 5th photo in post # 3993.

Then compare it to what you had in the old Den! 

A fantastic difference - and reminiscent of our trains on KL, just before its demise.

Keep the photos coming my friend!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

DON'T encourage him!

Andy, should you need further inspiration - look at the 5th photo in post # 3993.

Then compare it to what you had in the old Den! 

A fantastic difference - and reminiscent of our trains on KL, just before its demise.

Keep the photos coming my friend!

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, yes either my old 9ft x 7ft Den or even more so, the original Carbuncle that I inherited when we moved in here just 8 Months ago, and considering I was out of action for a while when I had the stoke.

Seeing that 9F and about 30 wagons has really made my day, I hope to start to connect up the droppers to the Bus Bar tomorrow, then I have a 15ft run.

• Like 8