Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

No question three-links are better. I've large enough radii too, but shaky old hands when stretching, sometimes. I can flip a wagon across the room dead easily (slight exaggeration) or have half a train dangling.  :O

Hal

We had the same with my Trebudoc O Gauge layout, all was fine at home but at a show, when I operated from the front with the punters in the way I raised quite a few laughs when the wagon was dangling on the end of the shunters pole and my arm was aching.

I tried it on Jason T's Bacup and that was easy as your operating the Layout from an Armchair because its low down, but with Bitton I will be standing or sitting on a Bar Stool and with the main line almost 2ft away it will be difficult.

If I stick to Kadee then at least it will be uniformed across the stock.

• Like 2

The new Magnets should arrive tomorrow and hopefully so I can get on with trying them and if successful fitting them.

Lee may also be up in the morning to do some more Dowels on the Storage Yard Boards and possibly build the end scenic board to join up with the Storage Yard, then it will only need the removable piece across the door to sort out.

• Like 6

Thought I'd start this page with some pics of the Blue Fleet that will run on Bitton.

Starting off with a Hornby Class 31. I have spoken to Hornby to re the Chassis issues they have had with some models and they assured me that this one only had the first few produced with the crumbling chassis, and as the model was produced in 2006, if it hasn't show any signs of going yet it should be O.K. But they also said that if it does go then they will ensure I am reimbursed.

post-9335-0-17699100-1421445365_thumb.jpg

Next up is a Heljan 33

post-9335-0-16905900-1421445567_thumb.jpg

And now another Heljan, this time the 47, SS Great Britton, my farther went for lunch on the Ship in Bristol whilst on a visit to see Concord in a party with Prince Phillip, about a week before its maiden flight.

post-9335-0-90807100-1421445706_thumb.jpg

Now the newest member of the Blue Fleet, the Class 44 Peak, this one is sound fitted.

post-9335-0-57489000-1421445773_thumb.jpg

Now another 47, this time its a Ltd Ed Bachmann, Tamar, as I was born overlooking the Tamar again its nostalgic to me.

post-9335-0-00779600-1421445849_thumb.jpg

There's also a pair of 20's and a RAT /25.

All will be sound fitted at some point.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The new Magnets should arrive tomorrow and hopefully so I can get on with trying them and if successful fitting them.

Lee may also be up in the morning to do some more Dowels on the Storage Yard Boards and possibly build the end scenic board to join up with the Storage Yard, then it will only need the removable piece across the door to sort out.

Grass by Monday, S*u*a*e* by Tuesday then? :jester:

Glad things are going well.

Thought I'd start this page with some pics of the Blue Fleet that will run on Bitton.

Starting off with a Hornby Class 31. I have spoken to Hornby to re the Chassis issues they have had with some models and they assured me that this one only had the first few produced with the crumbling chassis, and as the model was produced in 2006, if it hasn't show any signs of going yet it should be O.K. But they also said that if it does go then they will ensure I am reimbursed.

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 001.JPG

Next up is a Heljan 33

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 002.JPG

And now another Heljan, this time the 47, SS Great Britton, my farther went for lunch on the Ship in Bristol whilst on a visit to see Concord in a party with Prince Phillip, about a week before its maiden flight.

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 004.JPG

Now the newest member of the Blue Fleet, the Class 44 Peak, this one is sound fitted.

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 005.JPG

Now another 47, this time its a Ltd Ed Bachmann, Tamar, as I was born overlooking the Tamar again its nostalgic to me.

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 007.JPG

A very nice fleet. Are those wagons carrying grass or is it my eyes playing up?

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 001.JPG

Next up is a Heljan 33

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 002.JPG

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 004.JPG

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 005.JPG

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 007.JPG

Since green diesels (4 with sound up to now) became prevalent over steam on my layout - so much more realistic! - I'm fancying some blue. The thing is, you can have green, early blue and steam. :D

Hal

• Like 1

Since green diesels (4 with sound up to now) became prevalent over steam on my layout - so much more realistic! - I'm fancying some blue. The thing is, you can have green, early blue and steam. :D

Hal

It was when I saw the Blue Diesels on Mike61680's Dent Layout that I remembered just how good they looked, and as you quite rightly say, you can mix and match. The same goes for coaching stock, Blue / Grey was in service before the end of steam.

• Like 1

It was when I saw the Blue Diesels on Mike61680's Dent Layout that I remembered just how good they looked, and as you quite rightly say, you can mix and match. The same goes for coaching stock, Blue / Grey was in service before the end of steam.

It's the sight of a green Deltic and a Blue Deltic, together (probably fairly brief with a small fleet?) that does it for me.  :angel:

Hal full o' Wind.

How about some pictures of the steam roster.

Don

Hey Don, don't get ahead of yourself, that's the plan for next week, there's so many, that's the problem, 2 x 9F'S 3 X Black 5's, about 8 or 9 Standards, 4F, 7F, 8F, WD, Patriot, Jubilee, Panniers, Prairies, Hall? Jinty? Red and Green Duchess? Fairburn and at least a couple of Ivatts. plus the DMU's.

Next week I'll work through them, but here's a taster.

post-9335-0-09695000-1421448615_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56844400-1421448690_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Wonderful models!

I'll close by saying, real steam will always be king for me, but... a few years back, flogged a few paintings, felt well off and bought four steam-sound models. I was blown away by the sound and all the effects. But, in time I rarely used the sound... And when I did, it was not as good as it should have been. Then I realised the sound made the lack of exhaust, etc, so much more obvious! (I'm going to sell them shortly). And since then, the quietness of the ordinary model steam locos is not quite the same. There's a lacking. Don't get me wrong - A1s, 2s, 3,s 4s etc all get enjoyable running, but, for realism, the model diesels have slid by...

JMHO ;)

Hal 

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 1

Evening Andy,

Sorry mate but I think the steam locos far outshine the motorised boxes but, as ever, it comes down to what floats your boat!

Having studied, designed and worked with engines, both petrol and diesel, perhaps I've become blasé about them, but my memories of steam locomotives are of living, breathing devices which have individual characteristics unmatched by 'motorised boxes'!

Obviously, it all boils down to rule one - go with what pleases you. Both sorts have to run on similar tracks and there can be no argument about that - yours is going to look exceptional and realistic, even before ballasting!

This thread is really throwing up some fascinating solutions to problems that anyone building a layout is likely to come across and I'm certain that I'm not alone in enjoying it immensely- it's now the first place I look when I sign in!!

Thanks for that,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

Evening Andy,

Sorry mate but I think the steam locks far outshine the motorised boxes but, as ever, it comes down to what floats your boat!

Having studied, designed and worked with engines, both petrol and diesel, perhaps I've become blasé about them, but my memories of steam locomotives are of living, breathing devices which have individual characteristics unmatched by 'motorised boxes'!

Obviously, it all boils down to rule one - go with what pleases you. Both sorts have to run on similar tracks and there can be no argument about that - yours is going to look exceptional and realistic, even before ballasting!

This thread is really throwing up some fascinating solutions to problems that anyone building a layout is likely to come across and I'm certain that I'm not alone in enjoying it immensely- it's now the first place I look when I sign in!!

Thanks for that,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Really looking forward to seeing yours, Jock! :)

'Trust you are keeping well,

Hal

Hi Andy,

Following your recent health scare do you really think it's wise to be standing and stooping over nightmare 3 link couplings when you can comfortably sit down to operate Kaydee's instead?

I do love the look of 3 link but just can't see any other benefit, sorry.

Hi Iain, thanks for posting and your concerns, I have just rushed outside to look at both the points (sorry for the pun) you've made, firstly the V in pic 9, it looks fine to the eye and the stock flies through in all direction with no problem.

Secondly the point blade is to long in reality again but it works well so I will leave it as it is.

Thanks again.

Glad they're ok Andy! Keep up the great work!

Best wishes,

Iain

Wonderful models!

I'll close by saying, real steam will always be king for me, but... a few years back, flogged a few paintings, felt well off and bought four steam-sound models. I was blown away by the sound and all the effects. But, in time I rarely used the sound... And when I did, it was not as good as it should have been. Then I realised the sound made the lack of exhaust, etc, so much more obvious! (I'm going to sell them shortly). And since then, the quietness of the ordinary model steam locos is not quite the same. There's a lacking. Don't get me wrong - A1s, 2s, 3,s 4s etc all get enjoyable running, but, for realism, the model diesels have slid by...

JMHO ;)

Hal 

Morning Hal, I find that the Steam ones sound really good to begin with and then sound less realistic, I sold my 3F with sound the other night at Club, it sounded tinny to me, but wonderful to the guy that wanted it. 

Diesels on the other hand do sound more realistic, however having operated Jason T Bacup last year with no sound and running on foam, it was really relaxing.

More pics later today.

Cheers.

• Like 4

Hi Andy,

Following your recent health scare do you really think it's wise to be standing and stooping over nightmare 3 link couplings when you can comfortably sit down to operate Kaydee's instead?

I do love the look of 3 link but just can't see any other benefit, sorry.

Morning Mike, you have a very valid point my friend, well worth thinking about.

Cheers.

Morning Bodge.

l have said many times before that l hate sound, the steam offerings sound just like the old Hornby ones of years ago when they put some sandpaper it the tender to give a chuff-chuff sound as it ran around the tender axles ?

But l must admit the improved sounds of the diesel are much more realistic and pleasing to me so 'Bishop Street will be all sound ? now theres a turnaround...hahaha

Sounds good George

• Like 4

I've been thinking about kaydees for a while now... It's a job for later, but.... I enjoy shunting. It's the way to go, I think.

I know they look wrong on UK goods stock, especially, but so does the OTB rubbish.

Hal

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

Morning Kids, lovely day down / up here from wherever you are in the World. I had an hour outside earlier and then a nice walk with the dog, now its time for coffee and plan the next move. 

I started to wire up the last Bus Bar on the 3rd scenic board and then there are three point motors to fit and wire. Hopefully after that I will be able to run trains on the three scenic boards.

The Magnets also arrived this morning so I will have a look at fitting some of them later this weekend.

If I get some trains running I may post a video of that over the weekend as well.

• Like 13

Morning Hal, I find that the Steam ones sound really good to begin with and then sound less realistic, I sold my 3F with sound the other night at Club, it sounded tinny to me, but wonderful to the guy that wanted it. 

Diesels on the other hand do sound more realistic, however having operated Jason T Bacup last year with no sound and running on foam, it was really relaxing.

More pics later today.

Cheers.

An important point. Most off the time I run in silence, or listening to the radio. Starting up and running a loud Class 40 is brilliant - but I find it tiring after a while. I have a 37 I like for shunting, with the sound turned down, but even that gives in to silence, eventually.

Looking forward to the pics - and the vid!

Hal

Evening Guys, not as much progress as I would have hoped for, I have just spent 4 hours trying to get the frog polarity of the Single Slip right.

The slip works fine, and I set the road for the down main to go strait across and the frogs at both end are correct so I know that's wired up correctly.

And in theory the blade is set for the up main to go across the diamond into the loop as per prototype but of course the frog polarity for that leg is then wrong

I then switch the point for the crossover from the Up to the down line and that is correct, on the right hand side but as the left hand side was correct for the diamond its now not correct.

I have tried switching the frog wire onto the other motor, i.e. crossing the frog power but its still the same.

I have tried ringing the suppliers but there is  no one there today that can answer the question.

I wired up the Peco Double Slip with these motors but I cant remember how.

Off to have a look at my Kingsley pics and thread see if I wrote about it on there.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

You have two point motors for the single slip. Each will need to switch the polarity of the frog that is furthest away from the blades that the motor is moving.

Have you picked up the correct terminal of each switch within the motor as the common? The common is the terminal connected to the frog.