RMweb

David "Tetley's" Shakespeare.

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I agree that a good income could probably be made via Ebay; however, I also know of a number of traders who would jump at the chance of acquiring items built by the late Dave Shakespeare only to then sell them on at great profit to themselves benefitting from the provenance.

I would go along with Gilbert's suggestion of advertising to RMweb members first to ensure good capital return and respect for the items and their significance; then after an agreed period of time anything left could then be sold on through Ebay or similar.

I do hope we won't now get a 'wishlist' of items from Dave's stock, and everyone waits until the list is published before making a considered choice.

David

Thanks David. My major reason for avoiding E Bay is indeed the thought of unscrupulous people profiteering, so we shall stick with people we know at least through the forum. Whilst we shall be looking to benefit the charity as much as possible, my major concern is to take away all responsibility from Julie when it comes to clearing the railway room. That was what Dave asked me to do when he first spoke to me after his diagnosis, and so it shall be. To that extent, money is a secondary consideration.

• RMweb Premium

It's marvellous to know that Dave's legacy to the modelling world is in such good hands.  I for one would love to own something from Tetley's Mills, and would much prefer to buy it via this forum, where many of us know each other (at least virtually) and under the materful eye of Andy and his cohorts. 

• RMweb Premium

Just to make sure that the maximum number of people know, there is now a pinned thread in layout topics where I am detailing all of the things to be sold, and inviting offers. Please go there if you would be interested in acquiring a bit,or more than one, of Tetley's Mills.

Sorry to hear this news, RIP and thanks for the inspiration! From one of your many online fans.

It's clear the legacy will live on, and that's a tribute not just to the obvious model building talents but to the man himself with the great spirit that showed through in forum posts.

As noted by Gilbert here we we spent the day at Tetleys Mills. The intention was to bring a section of Tetleys Mills to RMweb Live this weekend as so beautifully captured by Tony.

Diorama%2002%20B&W%20Andy.jpg

However we were thwarted by Dave's constructional techniques, he must have had experience of building nuclear blast shelters at some point. We did managed to remove the section above but it was unfortunately too large for the back of the car needing 45"+ width to get it in and with it weighing somewhere close to 70kg (without houses and mill!) it's not exactly a highly portable diorama but we will get it on show at Peterborough for folks.

I have got a row of cottages from this scene to put on show down at Coventry and we will be awarding the first 'Shakespeare Spirit' trophy which will be awarded to the winner of a public vote on what they feel is the most inspirational layout or demo at the show; Julie is pictured yesterday with the award in the pleasant early evening sunshine as we sat talking after a day helping out. Hopefully this award allows Dave to live on a bit in the modelling community he did much to inspire.

Julie and Award.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Julie is pictured yesterday with the award in the pleasant early evening sunshine as we sat talking after a day helping out. Hopefully this award allows Dave to live on a bit in the modelling community he did much to inspire.

I guess the sun will always be shining in that part of Ancaster . . . . . . . . . .

• Like 1

I was hoping to print off these pages for those that do not have a computer but it does not seem to allow me.  Am I doing something wrong.  I do not ask this lightly, I was Dave's  first wife and the mother of his children and Julie and I have shared he sorrow of his death

I am so glad that the Shakespeare name will live on.  He loved his trains.   I was able to wake him up after night shift to the knowledge that he had won a competition to guess how many train parts were in the window of the local toy store. I never saw him get out of bed so quickly.

That would be great thank you.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I was hoping to print off these pages for those that do not have a computer but it does not seem to allow me.  Am I doing something wrong.  I do not ask this lightly, I was Dave's  first wife and the mother of his children and Julie and I have shared he sorrow of his death

Hi Jenny,

Andy has beaten me to it on your query, but may I just add my personal condolences, as I did not get the chance to talk to you at the funeral or afterwards. Dave did indeed love his trains, and many others loved seeing them, and gained inspiration from them. He will live on, and I shall be sending some of the trains to the other side of the world.

Gilbert.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would just like to share this bit of a PM I got from Dave (in reply to one I had sent) in February of last year, as it left a lovely impression on me:

As a younger modeller you're comments are the most valued, if in some small way I have given encouragement to a new generation of modeller then all my efforts have been worth it. Stay watching because exciting developments lay ahead I didn't just arrive at my current level I worked up from some very un-promising efforts but strive always to improve and learn from old duffers like me who've already made most mistakes for you.

Keep out of the Sun it's hot down there.

Kindest regards

Dave Shakespeare

And this is where Dave's P2 is going. Isn't that great!  He would be absolutely delighted.

• Like 6

As noted by Gilbert here we we spent the day at Tetleys Mills. The intention was to bring a section of Tetleys Mills to RMweb Live this weekend as so beautifully captured by Tony.

Diorama%2002%20B&W%20Andy.jpg

However we were thwarted by Dave's constructional techniques, he must have had experience of building nuclear blast shelters at some point. We did managed to remove the section above but it was unfortunately too large for the back of the car needing 45"+ width to get it in and with it weighing somewhere close to 70kg (without houses and mill!) it's not exactly a highly portable diorama but we will get it on show at Peterborough for folks.

I have got a row of cottages from this scene to put on show down at Coventry and we will be awarding the first 'Shakespeare Spirit' trophy which will be awarded to the winner of a public vote on what they feel is the most inspirational layout or demo at the show; Julie is pictured yesterday with the award in the pleasant early evening sunshine as we sat talking after a day helping out. Hopefully this award allows Dave to live on a bit in the modelling community he did much to inspire

attachicon.gifJulie and Award.jpg

Hi

Having see this photo of Julie holding the Dave Shakespeare award on here really has hit me, as I won this at the weekend RMweb live, I am so proud to have been chosen.

I know one thing that I will pass on to others any help and advice I can give, and hopefully inspirer others to have a go.Just as Dave did.

Darren

Edited by darren01
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just an update.

As some people will know Dave was a keen cyclist.

Very good obit in the latest issue of the Cyclists Touring Club mag.

Bernard

Yes, I saw that and wondered if it was 'our' Dave.  A sad loss from both points of view.

• RMweb Premium

Today, we brought the sale of Dave's collection to a close, when Julie Andy and myself attended the Cancer Research shop in my local village in order to hand over the proceeds of the sale. Andy kindly took some photos, and here is one of them.

post-98-0-90121700-1417643292_thumb.jpg

Dave's wife Julie on the left, the manager of the shop on the right, some strange looking old fellow in the middle, and held between them the cheque, somewhat magnified so that all on here can see just how much your generosity added up. The charity were brilliant, the area manager took the trouble to join us as well, and I know, because they said so, that they had never imagined that the amount would be anywhere near what they received. They are wonderful people, and were so supportive when I first went in and explained what we were going to do. The funds could not have gone to a better place.

Once more my grateful thanks. To my dear friend Dave, who honoured me by asking me to undertake this sad task,and to Andy York, who generously offered the use of RMWeb to facilitate the sale. Quite honestly, I don't see how I could have done this without that support, and even if I'd managed it, I know very well that the amount collected would have been far less. Andy also gave me unfailing support, not only by coming over and helping with the dismantling, cataloguing and packing of the collection, but also by phoning me regularly to see how things were going, and to give me a sometimes much needed boost.

Tony Wright too did much to help, particularly by photographing much of the collection, and serving the locos and stock and carrying out minor repairs when necessary. His presence, and that of Andy, were a great support to me when the work was going on, and I can't imagine how I could have got through it without them. Phil Ramsay too constantly offered me support, and came and helped with the packing, a job I had dreaded doing.

Finally, to all of you. Many people bid for things, and sadly not all could be succesful, but without exception you were a pleasure to deal with, and your bids were extraordinarily generous. I made some new friends, and I had my faith in humanity restored. This was in all senses a labour of love, and though I wish it had not been necessary, doing it has enhanced my life. The fight against this awful disease which touches so many of us either directly or indirectly will continue, and your donations have contributed significantly. Actually, taking into account the donations made through Just Giving, the total is over £6000, a wonderful response.

Your comments on this thread have also been a great comfort to Julie and the family. She is of course finding things hard, but she too has indomitable spirit, and said today that she must and will, live with what she has now. For her above all of us, life has been diminished by Dave's passing, but we too shall move on, and his memory and the legacy of his wonderful modelling will remain. One final time, my thanks and gratitude to all of you.

Gilbert

• Like 13

Yesterday was another emotional day for Julie and Gilbert and I'm sure Dave would approve of the way Gilbert handled the substantial task. He carried out his mate's wishes all the way through and showed that he really was the best man for the job. Let's not forget Julie's generosity too in making the decision that Dave's modelling should go on to help others in the form of this marvellous charitable donation with the simple wish that such charities need funds to continue to fight to do the best for those diagnosed with cancer. Thank you on behalf of many Julie!

Gilbert, Andy, Tony and Phil, you have ensured, with Julie's support, that instead of leaving behind a collection of models, Dave has left behind a legacy.

Part of that legacy is in the shape of two 'Tetley's' locos, currently waiting to go into service on the Waverley Route, together with some excellently weathered Mk 1's.  

They will serve as a continual reminder of what a great man Dave was, as I'm sure will every single piece of rolling stock and scenery that is even now becoming interwoven with the efforts of Dave's many friends and colleagues in the modelling community.

I'm sure that whenever they do go out for a run, we will all remember fondly the man who inspired us as a hobby, both in life, and after he had so cruelly been taken from us.

I don't know if that's any comfort to Julie, but I'm sure that each and every one of us here holds her in our thoughts and prayers.

Peter

• Like 2

Gilbert, Andy, Tony and Phil, you have ensured, with Julie's support, that instead of leaving behind a collection of models, Dave has left behind a legacy.

Part of that legacy is in the shape of two 'Tetley's' locos, currently waiting to go into service on the Waverley Route, together with some excellently weathered Mk 1's.  

They will serve as a continual reminder of what a great man Dave was, as I'm sure will every single piece of rolling stock and scenery that is even now becoming interwoven with the efforts of Dave's many friends and colleagues in the modelling community.

I'm sure that whenever they do go out for a run, we will all remember fondly the man who inspired us as a hobby, both in life, and after he had so cruelly been taken from us.

I don't know if that's any comfort to Julie, but I'm sure that each and every one of us here holds her in our thoughts and prayers.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

However, by far the greatest word of thanks should go to Gilbert. Whilst it's true the other three of us assisted in some way (I acted mainly just as 'happy snapper'), without his 'heroic' efforts, any final sums of money and the finding of new homes for Dave's collection would have been compromised indeed. So, please let's not forget where the greatest praise should go.

I hope to swell the final total a little as well. I have a couple of items yet to be collected and I've found new homes for all of Tetleys Mills' trees. The new owners of these arbourial miniatures are donating directly to Cancer Relief.

• Like 5