Railway & Modelling Obituaries

David "Tetley's" Shakespeare.

great northern

I have only just learned of the passing of Dave Shakespear, very sad news indeed, I know he was an inspiration to many on here re his approach to modelling, a very atmospheric modeller and his attitude and approach clicked with so many.

I was fortunate enough to have met Dave and he was for sure, a man who knew what he wanted from the hobby and got on with it and did it with great success.

My condolences to Julie, his family and friends at this sad time.

Peter A Leyland

So very sad, this is the second piece of identical news I have received this month concerning the dreaded disease for which there is no cure.

It's a brave person that tries to fight it and from what I know of Dave Shakepear was shear determination to try and beat it even though he knew the odds..............a brave man indeed who has had to endure horrible suffering...it's just not fair!   My thoughts are with his family.

What a legacy he has left us though!

• RMweb Premium

More information folks, as I've just spoken again with Dave's wife Julie. She seems to be bearing up very well, which doesn't surprise me, as she is out of the same mould as Dave when it comes to strength of character and fortitude. She was so pleased and grateful when I told her how many views and replies there have been on here, and I passed on your condolences to her. I am now authorised to give the details of the funeral and the celebration of Dave's life which will take place afterwards. The funeral will take place at Grantham Crematorium at 1100am on Tuesday 26th August, and the wake will be held at Woodland Waters, which is about a couple of miles from Ancaster on the main Grantham to Sleaford road, at 1230pm. Julie wiil be very happy to see as many people as wish to attend either or both. Having said that, would those who intend to attend the celebration at Woodland Waters please let me know via PM, so that she can let the venue have an idea of how many people are likely to be there.

Now a bit of typical Dave. His wish is that those who attend do not wear black, and do not mope about!!! So, make it a bright and joyful occasion in every way - that is what he wants. What Julie does not want though are flowers or cards, as she feels she could not cope with those, so may I please ask all to respect her wishes in that too.

I never met Dave personally but spoke to him once on the phone and he came across as a true gentleman with an easy going attitude and a good sense of humour and I must say that after 40 plus years in the hobby Tetley Mills came as a breath of fresh air and took the modelling world by storm.

There will never be another layout like it, nor the true gentleman that built it.

Allan.

I’ve just about got over the stunned bit - Like many I only knew Dave by the odd PM and contributing to his thread but I feel like he always reached out somehow...

He needs to be appointed the Patron Saint of UK Model Railways or something! We could not do better. :drag:

Best, Pete.

Apologies in advance as I am away over seas and won't be able to make the funeral.

I would gladly have travelled up,from Cornwall and would have worn an extra special shirt for the occasion.

I think Mister would have rather liked that.

Edited by BlackRat

I would just like to share this bit of a PM I got from Dave (in reply to one I had sent) in February of last year, as it left a lovely impression on me:

As a younger modeller you're comments are the most valued, if in some small way I have given encouragement to a new generation of modeller then all my efforts have been worth it. Stay watching because exciting developments lay ahead I didn't just arrive at my current level I worked up from some very un-promising efforts but strive always to improve and learn from old duffers like me who've already made most mistakes for you.

Keep out of the Sun it's hot down there.

Kindest regards

Dave Shakespeare

• Like 13

Very sad news.

Being a Yorkshireman, the layout evoked what our county and the industrial North was like in the 50's. In model form it brought many of the kitchen sink dramas such as A Taste of Honey and Saturday Night, Sunday Morning.

An inspiration to many.

R.I.P

MarkA

• RMweb Premium

The article on Barden Road in Model Rail April 2003 was the spur to inspire me back into railway modelling after a long hiatus. 

Dave's incredible modelling skills and wonderful attitude to the hobby were unique and inspirational.

We need more like him; he will be sorely missed.

David

I originally posted this on the Tetleys Mills thread but thought would add to the comments on here...

• Like 1

Out of interest, when was the initial Tetley's Mills feature in Model Rail?  I know many have mentioned it, myself included, as a major inspiration.  It must be going on fifteen years.

I know that for me it was so inspirational that I remember exactly where I was when I first read it - enjoying a fried breakfast in a caravan overlooking West Quantoxhead in Somerset, within earshot of the WSR.  

And having read it, on returning home, I had one of those tear up the tracks encounters with whatever was my stalled roundy-roundy project of the time.  If that's not influential then I dunno what is...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are layouts and there are layouts - and Tetleys clearly hit the spot for so many people, including me. When Great Northern first announced early last year that Dave was very ill, it was a horrid shock, but his doughty fight and recourse to whatever it took to combat his illness was inspiring. His recent postings about the new layout, while selling off bits and pieces from previous incarnations, were variously amusing and informative. Those who bought a piece of former Tetleys must now be very pleased that they did so. Treasure!

When GN's OP in this sad thread appeared, I felt the same shock and sorrow as when an old schoolfriend died a couple of years back - yet I'd never met Dave, never seen Tetleys except on RMweb, actually. Four pages of eulogies later, his impact on this hobby and its followers is obvious. I am just one of many who feel we have lost a friend and inspiration.

• Like 1

This news has come with great sadness, & I feel as if I've lost someone very dear.

My deepest condolences go out to Julie & his family, & it is with great regret that we mourn Dave's passing.

The brightest stars shine strongest, & Dave will be sadly missed, not only in this community.

I will always think of Dave when I run the M7 loco I got from him, he was a true gentleman.

It was always an absolute pleasure to deal with him, & his demise is a true tragedy.

The way Dave faced his situation will always remain an inspiration to us all.

Goodnight Dave, tears will be shed at the loss of this true giant in our hobby.

With deepest regret & fondest love

Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Dave was an inspiration as a modeller, and through his humour, his optimism and his incredible courage, an inspiration by just being himself.

I never met him but wish I had. This forum will be so much the poorer without the updates on what was going to be another masterpiece layout.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Sorry if it's all been said before (doubtless it has) - I got back from a couple of days away and only read the terrible news just yesterday.

Edited by Colin

• RMweb Gold

I think Dave was an inspiration to us all. Cancer is such a vile and indiscriminate disease, which takes so many good men, women and children, most of whom lived healthy and full lives.

Dave faced his illness with such bravery and courage, which must have inspired hundreds of us to put aside our troubles and think about the basics in life – I certainly did.

It is almost five years ago to the day I lost my own fiancé to breast cancer, but she like Dave faced it with bravery, courage and be buggered was it going to stop her, just like Dave.  

I certainly won’t forget Dave or his wonderful work.

R.I.P chap, we won't forget you, your spirt or your wonderful layout.

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It is always sad to read of the demise of someone with similar interests but when it is someone as talented, yet modest, in their achievements as Dave was then it is not just immediate family that suffer but the whole extended family involved in the individuals hobby or hobbies.

A great modeller who will be sadly missed. No doubt he will be up 'there' looking down on those of us striving to create but a small vestige of the character his models bore and will be uttering words of encouragement and guidance.

RIP Dave - I never met you but your models have created a spark of interest which will grow.

Very saddened to read of Dave's passing after such a brave and inspirational fight. 

As with so many who have posted earlier, I never knew Dave personally but came to know him slightly through his posts on the Tetley's thread. 

He was a truly inspirational modeller and leaves us with a "Gold standard" of what can be achieved; but perhaps for most of us simply a standard to aspire to.

In the days ahead I hope that Julie and his family will at least be able to draw some small comfort from knowing the high esteem, affection and respect in which Dave was held by all on here.  

Rest in Peace, Dave. 

• RMweb Premium

I have just read this sad news in the Peterborough North thread and even although I knew of his illness it is still a tremendous shock. I did not know him personally however through his masterful modelling I felt that I did. He was the tops in creating a genuine railway atmosphere in his models having that extra "something" that few layouts possess. A terrible loss to our hobby.

My condolences to his family.

Eric

• RMweb Gold

There are layouts and there are layouts - and Tetleys clearly hit the spot for so many people, including me. When Great Northern first announced early last year that Dave was very ill, it was a horrid shock, but his doughty fight and recourse to whatever it took to combat his illness was inspiring. His recent postings about the new layout, while selling off bits and pieces from previous incarnations, were variously amusing and informative. Those who bought a piece of former Tetleys must now be very pleased that they did so. Treasure!

When GN's OP in this sad thread appeared, I felt the same shock and sorrow as when an old schoolfriend died a couple of years back - yet I'd never met Dave, never seen Tetleys except on RMweb, actually. Four pages of eulogies later, his impact on this hobby and its followers is obvious. I am just one of many who feel we have lost a friend and inspiration.

That says it all Ian - shows how someone I, along with many others, never met could have such a wide and profound influence through our hobby.

R.I.P. Dave

A great modeller who has inspired all it a shame that his train left the station to soon but I hope he is free from pain and suffering. I do hope that a permanent memorial can be done. A man who model railways and trains and shown how life made be rubbish but we find happiness in our hobby and friends may his legacy always be there.

• RMweb Premium

I have made this suggestion on the Tetley Mills thread as well. It has been suggested that a collection for cancer charities takes place at RMweb Live. For those of us who will be unable to attend that event how about making such a collection through RMweb or at least provide a link to the charity(s) in Daves name?

• Like 1