Railway & Modelling Obituaries

David "Tetley's" Shakespeare.

great northern

First and foremost condolences to Julie and the family.

Dave  was a real gentleman, a great modeller and although he had retired through an off duty road  accident when I first met him I would imagine a fantastic police officer with his straight talking,his humour and his sense of fairness.It was a privelige to have known Dave  R.I.P..

I can't really add any more, but wish to pass my sympathy to Daves family and friends.

It's amazing how people you have never met personally, become pals through the web, and I am grateful that we were able to share The odd laugh and joke through pm.s

If we learn anything from this, it's that life is to,short to waste.

So for any armchair modellers out there, get out of that armchair, no excuses and get something done.

Let it be Dave's legacy to the site.

Edited by BlackRat

• RMweb Premium

This has come as a bit of a shock. Despite never meeting Dave I have shared the odd PM with him.. A very good modeller and it is sad that it has ended this way. I can only pass my condolences to his family and hope the end was peaceful.

Baz

This man was an inspiration in both his modelling and his courage in the face of enormous adversity he endured. I never had the privilege of knowing him but none the less, he made contact in a way with all of us here on this forum that read his posts. We all enjoyed his ready wit, admired his skill and were humbled by his struggle with illness and the heroic manner in which he dealt with it. As a result, we all felt we knew him and we all feel his loss. My thoughts are with his friends and family at this most difficult time.

Goodbye Dave.

Saddened of 81E

• RMweb Gold

Like many others, I never met Dave, but from our many humourous email exchanges over the past few years I know that however great a modeler he was, he was a finer man. One of the most genuinely decent guys I've ever encountered in this hobby.

Saddened from afar - condolences to Julie and family. RIP, Dave. Your bravery, courage and wit will remain as inspiration.

Dave was someone who's talent and good humour reached out from the pages of Model Rail and RMWeb to literally around the world.

Shocked and saddened that his dreams will remain just that.

RIP Dave

Dave was one of those people who you felt you knew even though you had never met. He achieved so much in his life apart from his most excellent modelling, building two houses, enjoying cycling to name just a couple. His posts were always readable and amusing even when he was afflicted by the terrible disease and his fight was heroic. I feared the worst when his eyesight began to fail, then there was a deafening silence on his thread, sadly the worst has happened.

I am shocked and saddened and send my deepest condolences to Julie and his family. They will sorely miss him but in a lesser way so will all of us on RM Web.

Goodbye Dave.

Edward

• RMweb Gold

I'm another who didn't know Dave personally but wish I had. We have lost a truly great man to this terrible disease who was inspirational both in his modelling skills and the way he is known to have conducted his life.

RIP and condolences to the family.

• RMweb Gold

Very saddened to hear this news today.  I first met Dave more years ago then I care to remember when we were both PC's at Sleaford.  We both moved on he up and me sideways and I never heard of him again until I got into model railways some years ago and saw Tetleys in Model Rail.  I contacted Chris Leigh and he managed to put me back in touch with Dave who I doubted if he would remember me.  He did of course as he recalled a spectacular writing off of a Traffic Ford Granada by me one winter's night and he even remembered where he was that night and who he was crewed with.

I was lucky to visit Dave and Julie at Ancaster on more than one occasion and can agree with others that the hospitality was first class as of course we know was the moddelling.  Dave was a fighter and as genuine a person as you could ever wish to know.  I was lucky to know him and I will miss him.

My feelings go out to Julie and of course Gilbert who once more has had to be the messenger.

RIP Dave.

Chris

Sorry to read this news. It was only through reading the Peterborough thread just now and piecing things together that I looked in Obituaries. Dave may not have invented muck and soot, but he definitely put it on the map as far as model railways was concerned and suggested neat alternatives to sleepy pastoral branchlines. RIP Dave and my feelings go out to his family.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Again, I am one who never met this great modeller, but have since getting back into to the hobby, followed his modelling achievements, his personal highs and lows, and his totally incredible fight against his cancer.  In fact, I bought a modelling magazine a few years back, and the main feature was Tetley's Mills - that and only that encouraged me to start visiting the local model railway shop to start collecting rolling stock, and all the other parpahernalia needed to re-enter the hobby.  After starting, I was pleased and honoured to be able to follow Dave's progress here after he joined up - and he freely gave of his knowledge and techniques via his posts here - meaning that others can try to emulate his skills.

Condolences, of course to Dave's family, and his friends. 

His legacy will be,for me and many others, the inspiration that he gave both in print and online. 

RIP Dave

Stewart

I have only just picked up on this very sad news, though I heard a week or two ago, that Dave was again very ill. First Keith Willows and now Dave. The month of August has claimed two remarkable and innovative modellers. I'm not sure who 'discovered' who, but Model Rail's launch and (I believe) Tetley's Mills' premiere in print were one and the same - and it was all by remarkable chance. As we began to put together the first (and at the time, the only planned) issue of Model Rail, a wallet of photographs dropped on my desk in the morning post. The accompanying letter suggested that if we ever did a model railway magazine, we might like to consider his layout. It was a gift! What's more, he worked in nearby Stamford and lived a short distance up the A1. I went there three or four times shooting stills initially, then video. The branch line was not, then in its finished state and I never did see the final version of the layout before Dave dismantled it. Dave was a truly remarkable and gifted modeller. His technique with the Das clay produced great buildings and though I've copied the method, I don't have the same creative eye. That was his gift. His layout was reminiscent of a Gifford photograph. Every viewpoint had its possibilities. It was the perfect layout for a magazine. Dave was charming, hospitable, and a delightful person to know. On behalf of Model Rail and personally, condolences to his family and his many friends. He will be greatly missed.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I have only just picked up on this very sad news, though I heard a week or two ago, that Dave was again very ill. First Keith Willows and now Dave. The month of August has claimed two remarkable and innovative modellers. I'm not sure who 'discovered' who, but Model Rail's launch and (I believe) Tetley's Mills' premiere in print were one and the same - and it was all by remarkable chance. As we began to put together the first (and at the time, the only planned) issue of Model Rail, a wallet of photographs dropped on my desk in the morning post. The accompanying letter suggested that if we ever did a model railway magazine, we might like to consider his layout. It was a gift! What's more, he worked in nearby Stamford and lived a short distance up the A1. I went there three or four times shooting stills initially, then video. The branch line was not, then in its finished state and I never did see the final version of the layout before Dave dismantled it. Dave was a truly remarkable and gifted modeller. His technique with the Das clay produced great buildings and though I've copied the method, I don't have the same creative eye. That was his gift. His layout was reminiscent of a Gifford photograph. Every viewpoint had its possibilities. It was the perfect layout for a magazine. Dave was charming, hospitable, and a delightful person to know. On behalf of Model Rail and personally, condolences to his family and his many friends. He will be greatly missed.

CHRIS LEIGH

Well said Chris - I love that comparison as I have everything that Colin Gifford has published to date, and totally agree that Tetley's Mills had just that feel.

A great modeller has gone to the ultimate 'big railway' He inspired many, helped us all, and showed us how to get the right atmosphere.

A good man who will be much missed, and I hope that his wife is able to see and cherish how much he meant to this community.