Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Looking very good. I did notice one thing I hadn't before: the check rails are painted (as they should be) but the ends of the wing rails have been curiously cleaned off. 

I don't know if they make anything like this in UK, but in the US Floquil (and now another manufacturer) made these enamel pens that, if you pressed into a piece of paper a time or two, would work like a marker. I've used them for touch-up on the sides of rails (which also gives some extra variation). I also used one when some paint flaked off a check rail (followed it up with powders to make it match the others).

Quentin

Looking very good. I did notice one thing I hadn't before: the check rails are painted (as they should be) but the ends of the wing rails have been curiously cleaned off. 

I don't know if they make anything like this in UK, but in the US Floquil (and now another manufacturer) made these enamel pens that, if you pressed into a piece of paper a time or two, would work like a marker. I've used them for touch-up on the sides of rails (which also gives some extra variation). I also used one when some paint flaked off a check rail (followed it up with powders to make it match the others).

Quentin

Thanks for spotting that, Quentin - over enthusiastic with the track rubber to get the paint off, I'm afraid.  Difficult not to wipe them clean otherwise.  A little job for down the line once all the points are laid.  Thanks for the product references.  I'll see what's available here, or there's always Ebay.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian, bit tight, but once moved will look spot on mate.

Thanks Andy.  I've fabbed up a home made platform clearance checker out of plasticard.  I'll use this gismo to keep the retaining wall module at a safe but standard distance from the running rails.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Multi-tasking today  :jester:

This morning, I wired up the remaining platform road so now have all four roads responding to both controllers.

This afternoon, cardboard engineering was the name of the game.  Another 110 mm long retaining wall module was completed (less parapet stonework).

I figure I need at least another 9 or 10 modules at the back of the station so some element of mass production is needed.  To assist with this process I have cobbled together all the major card elements into one TurboCAD drawing which prints at A4.  I attach a pdf copy here for anyone to download if interested.

Retaiing wall former 300 rad.pdf

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought I would give "cardboard engineering" a rest so have spent a bit of time wiring up the bay platform at the rear of the terminus.  So, I have now three of the platform roads responsive to both controllers  :)

There is method in my madness.  The rear platform road will adjoin the retaining wall and other back scene scenery.  I really needed to run trains (albeit not very far) along this road to check clearances before proceeding further with cardboard civil engineering.

It crossed my mind that one of my DMUs had prominent cab steps protruding from its bogie so it was duly pressed into service for clearance testing thus.

attachicon.gifdmuclearance.jpg

Hmm.  The DMU looks a bit close to the wall left hand side so the wall will have to be moved away, probably off the ballast as shown and moved left so similarly "gapped" as the platform to the right.

Regards,

Brian. 

Hi Brian

Would this be of help

post-16423-0-40277900-1438627238_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thanks Clive. Useful info. I've been using similar diagrams as found in the back of the various C J Freezer/Peco/Railway Modeller texts regarding railway modelling.  I suspect however that model clearances need to be more generous than the "real thing" due to the very tight model curves. Indeed I was perhaps contemplating installing check rails on the as yet un-built U bend beyond the station throat.  Prototypical, these stock rails would be a must but on the model perhaps not.

Kind Regards,

Brian.

By using an element of mass production (printing the parts on to A4 size self adhesive labels at least cuts out some of the gluing) I've completed a further three retaining wall modules (less parapets and "columns") and they are posed in position below (the blue retaining wall will not be used and needs one or two more modules to replace it).

post-1115-0-11740200-1438709198_thumb.jpg

The ground level behind the platform wherein is parked the DMU now needs to fall away to platform level along the length of this bay road so I have drawn the entire wall up in TurboCAD to help me make the reduced hight retaining wall modules needed to achieve this.  I need to knock 9 mm of the height of successive modules to loose the elevation as it were.  Hopefully the drawing below will illustrate what I'm trying to achieve.

post-1115-0-33568200-1438709597.jpg

It's coming along and I'm pleased with the overall look.  Low relief houses/cottages are planned to be located behind and above the completed wall.

Regards,

Brian.

PS I have corrected the errors on the retaining wall parts sheet in post 380 and re-uploaded it.  This is the sheet I print onto the A4 labels.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 6

From certain angles, it looks almost complete :jester:

post-1115-0-29269700-1439489483_thumb.jpg

...but there is still a long way to go.

post-1115-0-44237600-1439489563_thumb.jpg

Cardboard engineering has continued and the curved retaining wall is almost complete.  Simultaneously, I have been thinking of the buildings required behind the wall and I've worked up a few options but I'm concentrating on finishing the two pairs of house backs the same as the pair in the pictures above.  These will be sited along side the existing pair on the overbridge side.

'Bye for now.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 7

House backs completed, bar back yard walls and details, and plonked in rough position to see how the scene looks.

post-1115-0-32046000-1439834988_thumb.jpg

I need to build another retaining wall module to support the far end of these houses and then I can leave this area for now.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 8

Brian, its NOT the speed that counts, its the QUALITY of your work, and it shows.

Thanks yet again Andy. But these are just slightly fuzzy camera phone pics which perhaps hide a multitude of sins, so to speak.

Regards

Brian

Brian, this thread of yours is getting to a very interesting stage, I'm learning as it goes along and although I've no need of a retaining wall, I admire the workmanship. Can you give me details of the DMU set - type and manufacturer (I wonder which types first found their way to South West Scotland?).

Looking forward to the next inspiring episode,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Brian, this thread of yours is getting to a very interesting stage, I'm learning as it goes along and although I've no need of a retaining wall, I admire the workmanship. Can you give me details of the DMU set - type and manufacturer (I wonder which types first found their way to South West Scotland?).

Looking forward to the next inspiring episode,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

I hope you are well and thanks for following my ramblings.  The DMU in the picture is a two car "Derby Lightweight" curtesy of Bachmann.  It is a beautiful model with superb response to the controller.  I close coupled it using a pair of Kadees.

I can't answer your question viz a vie South West Scotland but there is a website (http://www.railcar.co.uk/) which you might find interesting.

Thanks again for your interest.

Best Regards,

Brian.

Brian.

Actually it's the enjoyment derived which matters :P

Hi Zomboid,

I totally agree but some jobs are a bit of a slog and you are glad to see the back of them.  A case in point was the house backs that I've just finished - a well designed kit which is usual from John Wiffen at Scalescenes but this one taxed my patience somewhat.  Nought to 60 in two weeks or thereabouts :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

Giving house building a rest for a while and I have returned to platform construction.  I'll post some pictures tomorrow but the construction technique is as shown in post #180 when I reconstructed the platform on my existing layout.

However, I started the day with a little demolition - the small amount of platform previously constructed (as seen above in post #390) had to go.  I made the top from 2mm thick card and I thought it looked too thick.  So the new platforms comprise 2 mm thick card walls and internal (unseen) strengtheners along with 1mm thick card tops, all visible elements of course covered in Scalescenes' textures.

'Bye for now.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Hi Jock,

I hope you are well and thanks for following my ramblings.  The DMU in the picture is a two car "Derby Lightweight" curtesy of Bachmann.  It is a beautiful model with superb response to the controller.  I close coupled it using a pair of Kadees.

I can't answer your question viz a vie South West Scotland but there is a website (http://www.railcar.co.uk/) which you might find interesting.

Thanks again for your interest.

Best Regards,

Brian.

Brian.

Many thanks Brian, duly posted to my favourites for perusal when I get time!

Kind regards,

Jock.