Model Shops in Leeds

geoffers

Off on my cricket club's annual tour this Bank Holiday Monday. This year, after enjoyable trips to Nottingham (2010), Derby (2011), Southampton (2012), and last year York, we are entertaining the Leeds area. However after my creaking sexagenarian frame complained of the exercise with all the running, avoiding the hard ball, and trying to hit it, I am not placing myself in danger's way whatsoever this year after being terrorised by some young Yorkshire quicks last year. This means I will have some time to explore Leeds and surroundings. The Keighley and Worth Valley Railway is inked in for a visit but any other suggestions like model shops and railways would be much appreciated. Mrs geoffers fancies the Royal Armouries Museum for a visit. Thanks to all in antic..

There's Pennine models in Haworth, which is just a couple of minutes walk up the main road by Haworth station. They have a pretty good selection of discounted OO gauge loco's and stock, along with some scenic items.

Frizinghall is a pretty good shop, tucked away in a small industrial estate, Just off Canal Road at Bradford (thinking it might be worth a visit on your way to the KWVR)

As far as Leeds goes, there's Going Loco, at Potovens Lane, just off the A61 road between Leeds and Wakefield, also, Millenium models in Morley.

It might be helpful to save you a potentially wasted journey - Wakefield model railway centre was very well known indeed, and well advertised in modelling mags, but has recently closed down, due to retirement.

Hope this helps,

Simon. 

• RMweb Premium

Royal Armouries is worth a visit , there is also the Middleton Railway in Leeds, together with a number of museums such as Armley Industrial. In the city centre there is the Museum of Leeds as well as lots of shops but no model railway shops.

A bit farther afield up in Skipton there is an Model Railway Exhibition on this weekend and you can go to Embsay for a trip on the train,

hope the game goes well... me I have three top umpire this weekend including the quick bowlers of Yorkshire Academy at Doncaster on Monday (weather permitting)

Once again many thanks to you all. As far as the cricket games are concerned I am a non-combatant this year after retiring at the end of the 2013 season. The lads gave me a great send-off but our opponents failed to get into the spirit of things and gift me a century! However, the teas provided by our hosts are always worth attending and apres-game we will hit the town in the evening. Leeds watch out!

Best two model railway shops in the Leeds area are actually near Wakefield.

The Model Shop in Featherstone and Going Loco in Lofthouse Gate are worth visiting. There is only one model shop with a Leeds postcode and that's in Morley. It's called Milennium Models and is a neat shop with great staff but isn't as well stocked as the other two.

Have fun!

I see someone has already mentioned Frizinghall models. I've always found them to be good, and as someone without a car they are easy to get to - ten minutes' walk from Frizinghall Station on the Bradford Forster Square line.

For such a large city, it's surprising that Leeds has so little in the way of model shops. There used to be a Modelzone, but of course that is now gone.

Yes, sadly, times have changed in recent years and the city centre model shops, that were in Leeds, have faded away for various reasons - Bradford model railway centre and Beatties were the ones  that I used to visit regularly back in the 1970's / early 80's. (mis -spent youth, excitedly buying Lima Deltics while the real things were still in BR service)  :scratchhead:

Excellent trip up north - now back home. One game got cancelled sadly and we narrowly lost the other two (Northowren and Guisley but who entertained us grandly - thanks guys). Now to sober up this coming weekend. Guys hit Leeds last Tuesday night in fancy dress. Hope they got way with it. Managed to get to Haworth station where I spent some dosh but this was on the understanding that we would visit the Bronte Parsonage - which we did and which we thoroughly enjoyed.  So thanks Leeds and surrounds - very enjoyable trip.

For such a large city, it's surprising that Leeds has so little in the way of model shops. There used to be a Modelzone, but of course that is now gone.

Agreed. I don't see how Sheffield can support so many model shops and Leeds can barely manage one!

To the OP - I'm glad you had fun in my home town. I do sorely miss the place since starting my degree in the Big Smoke. I can't wait to move back.

sub39h - Yes we had fun on your home town. Enjoyed visit to Royal Armouries (though after 3 hours I was suffering from armour overload). Impressive market area too. Seemed very vibrant whereas, sadly, our market in Norwich seems to be fading away. Hope to revisit as we only managed one floor of the museum.

• RMweb Premium

geoffers ... lots more to see in Leeds so please come back and enjoy the Loiner sense of humour....

Seems like your team played a Central Yorkshire League Team (Northowram) and an Aire Wharfe League team (Guiseley) -- can you remember the third team you were supposed to play? 

Baz

Hi BarryO - cancelled cricket game was against Wakefield Thornes (I think - at least it was a team from Wakefield). They could not raise a side, unfortunately. My own club do host the odd touring side but because we have two Norfolk Cricket League sides on Saturday's and a friendly/development/retiree side on Sunday's we have to play during the week. 20/20 games are popular 'cos people can play after work but during the school summer holidays we can raise a side a young'uns but it is not always easy and I do sympathise with the Wakefield club. For the first time in our 19-year Norfolk Cricket League history (though the post-WW2 club re-started in 1965 playing friendlies) we have actually won something !!!!!!! 1st team are champions of Division 2. Prior to this we we runner-ups and also-rans. The second team finished 5th in Division 4. The NCL has eight divisions. So as a club we are pleased that we will be in D1 next season. It has been suggested that the club has done this in the first year of my playing retirement and that I should therefore have retired earlier!!!! Both side lost their final games of the season - the hangovers were still evident apparently.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

When I was in Leeds in 2012, there was a model shop (not very large) in the Merrion Centre.

That was a Modelzone outlet, since closed down.

Archived