RMweb

Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

The Coal Tank looks really good ( I have one on order to renumber as 58904 which was used in the Wellington area in the early 1950s) but the thing that stands out is the base of the chimney which is a pronounced square base and this is absent on the model. The LNWR chimneys were actually made of 3 different components, a square base, a tapered tube for the middle section and a cast top. The square base was very prominent but the base on the model seems to have disappeared. Won't stop me buying one, but I need to work out how to rectify this.

David

• RMweb Gold

Dear Bachmann I am very disappointed with your new Coal tank! I have in no way whatsoever any use of one. And was very content in keeping my wallet safely in the back pocket.

Knowing I already have a couple of locos on order. You then start showing pictures of this perfectly formed and nicely turned out engine. What's a man supposed to do! Did any make it to Leicester on workings?

• Like 2

I have one on order to renumber as 58904 which was used in the Wellington area in the early 1950's

It was shedded at Shrewsbury in your period,

and don't forget it had an extended tank filler, which is another 1' 4" taller.

post-6979-0-89691400-1481068987.jpg

Ooops, cr*p picture, will post something better later.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Looking good.

Frankly, though, any new release that manages to have radially mounted boiler handrails has my vote! 

If it were released in lined livery, I would pre-order one now.

As it is, I will bide events.  I am not averse to lining one out myself, but, then, at some stage Bachmann might do that job themselves.  

Sandy, re the extended tank filler for 58904 it might have had it when it was an LNWR loco but not in the late stages of its life. Attached a photo of the loco when in store at Craven Arms in 1955. The photo shows good bunker details.

post-20690-0-83762300-1481109040_thumb.jpg

When allocated to Shrewsbury it worked from Shrewsburys sub shed of Coalport untill the line shut and would be seen also on a Wellington to Newport stopper (I have photos of it at Newport circa 1952).

The photo at Coalport taken in 1950 with 2 ancient ex LNWR coaches.

If anyone is interested in the lines radiating from Wellington they are covered in my book, The Railways of Telford and the workings down the Coalport branch and from Wellington to Stafford are fascinating.

I did a little bit of restoration work when the preserved Coal Tank was at Dinting including needle gunning the side tanks, so the Coal; Tanks will always have a place on my model railway (Trench Sidings - between Wellington and Donnington) even if it is slightly out of my time period (1957 to 1967)

David

Edited by Norton961
  • Like 5

Sandy, re the extended tank filler for 58904 it might have had it when it was an LNWR loco but not in the late stages of its life. Attached a photo of the loco when in store at Craven Arms in 1955. The photo shows good bunker details.

And I have this photo too.... Didn't register, in a box somewhere from long ago.... 

The Tall Tank filler is in the notes for 58904 Coal Tank in 'Bashers, Gadgets & Mourners' book of the Coal tanks.

Edited by Penlan

Something I had never noticed about the bunker shot of 58904 is the fact that is has 2 brackets which would appear to be for a destination board! I assume that these were for working in the London area, but I doubt that it has been used for a long time!

David

.... and at the front

post-6979-0-24937900-1481132047.jpg

There's another photograph from Tim Shuttleworth of the Coal Tank in the snow at Craven Arms, but I suspect on a different day, because it's of the other side, and the sun is being reflected off the snow, and it shows up all the under footplate detail.

BTW, I believe the Royal Train or carriages that could be used in the train, were stored in the Carriage Shed at Craven Arms for many years.  All E. & O. E.

PS, I have one of my Coal Tanks in the Motor Fitted condition (modified K's body on a LRM's chassis).

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Dear Bachmann I am very disappointed with your new Coal tank! I have in no way whatsoever any use of one. And was very content in keeping my wallet safely in the back pocket.

Knowing I already have a couple of locos on order. You then start showing pictures of this perfectly formed and nicely turned out engine. What's a man supposed to do! Did any make it to Leicester on workings?

Nuneaton ? The BR version shows 3E..Monument Lane (Birmingham LM Western section on Wolverhampton side of New Street tunnel).The LMS version shows 7A Holyhead (later 6J in BR days).They also ran over LNW tracks in Mid and South Wales 58926 being the last on the Abergavenny -Dowlais Top section.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

It would have been a neat touch to have given one of the Coal Tanks a Bangor shed plate (instead of Holyhead) in memory of enthusiast/shed foreman J.M.Dunn. Despite having some new Ivatt Tanks, he occasionally lit up his ex LNWR locos and sent them out on jobs (probably to hide them from visiting officialdom). If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be today's Coal Tank.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Nuneaton ? The BR version shows 3E..Monument Lane (Birmingham LM Western section on Wolverhampton side of New Street tunnel).The LMS version shows 7A Holyhead (later 6J in BR days).They also ran over LNW tracks in Mid and South Wales 58926 being the last on the Abergavenny -Dowlais Top section.

Cheers for the information, However I am would also like to point out that you're not helping with the wallet situation at all!

It would have been a neat touch to have given one of the Coal Tanks a Bangor shed plate (instead of Holyhead) in memory of enthusiast/shed foreman J.M.Dunn. Despite having some new Ivatt Tanks, he occasionally lit up his ex LNWR locos and sent them out on jobs (probably to hide them from visiting officialdom). If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be today's Coal Tank.

Any ideas which Coal tanks were lurking away up here? I'd like to do a local one. 

Any ideas which Coal tanks were lurking away up here? I'd like to do a local one. 

Presumably you mean in the BR period - Just checking.

The S.L.S I am sure will have shed allocations for this period, but looking through Dunn's book, 'Reflections on a Railway Career', I can't see any listings for Bangor shed at that time - There is one for 1937, but presumably this is outwith your period.

Sorry managed to get 2 photos of 58904 and missed of the Coalport photo.attachicon.gif58904 Coal Tank. Coalport 7-1950 with a Wellington train..jpg

I hadn't intended to get a coal tank either but now I'm on the verge of giving in! 

The interesting LNWR arc roofed 56ft brake third in the Coalport picture was created in 1920/21 by joining together two 28ft 4 wheelers of 1890/91.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• Like 1

January 1948, Mr.Dunn gave the following allocations.... Bangor (7B) 7711, 7822 and 27603. Llandudno Junction (7A) : 7796. Rhyl (7D) : 27562, 27585 and 27627. 

Bangor was an LNWR enthusiasts' delight in the late 1940's with Cauliflowers, 5' 6" 2-4-2T, Watford Tank, and a bit later Precursor and 'George V' 4-4-0s, while Mold Junction had the Super D 0-8-0's. LMS Compounds were at Chester, Llandudno Junction and Holyhead. I wasn't born at the wrong time, just the wrong place!!!  :cray_mini:

• Like 1

For those who like Coal Tanks I can thoroughly recommend the definitive history of the locos which includes shed allocations. The book is called "Bashers, Gadgets and Mourners (The life and times of the LNWR Coal Tanks) by Peter Skellon and published by the Bahamas Locomotive Society at £19.00.

In my view this is one of the best locomotive histories ever written and covers the full history of the class right through to the withdrawal of the last class member. Lots of reminiscences by shed staff, fitters and drivers including J M Dunn who was responsible for ensuring the preservation of the last example.Full of excellent photos of all periods and lots of detail photos and drawings.

Can be bought directly from the Bahamas Locomotive Society and all profits go towards the upkeep of the preserved Coal Tank.

• Like 2