Modifying/Motorising GBL Models - A2/3 on the cheap

rowanj

• 1 month later...

I picked up the Ivatt 2MT with the intention of converting it to the similar BR 84xxx version. Though clearly of common parentage, there are more differences between them than I had realised. Still- nothing ventured....

The chassis is the old Bachmann split-chassis, which I picked up second-hand from Ebay. It runs smoothly and reasonably quietly after light lubrication. The main mod, shown on the photo, is the removal of the nose in the front,

Fitting the body is the usual trial and error cutting and shaving. As a Bachmann clone, the GBL body should be an easy fit. However the way they have reinforced the join between the cab and tanks is via a piece of plastic on both sides of the cab interior. As a result, it becomes too narrow to allow the chassis to enter. I shaved away to get a fit, but eventually the joining pieces just fell out. This leaves the cab and front end in 2 pieces, which will be handy during the body work but a possibly awkward reassembly job to make a neat join.

The visual differences are significant, which is when I always find these bodges interesting. The LMS fittings need replaced with BR Standard parts, so I've acquired a Comet detailing pack.. As many of the LMS fittings are missing from the GBL body, that makes life easier. I've made a start by removing the LMS clack valves.

The roof profile of the cab needs rounding off. The rear of the BR version has no ladder but, unfortunately, a whole series of welded steps, which will be a pain. The GBL ladder is just glued on - I originally thought I'd have to carve it off.

There are a couple of old conversions of this type around, but if anyone can point me to the definitive post, I'd be grateful.

John

post-1659-0-16522400-1441008188.jpg

post-1659-0-65967700-1441008196.jpg

post-1659-0-69044700-1441008204.jpg

post-1659-0-41614800-1441008211.jpg

Hi John and here was I thinking this would be an easy conversion after all the effort on thane of Fife....had no looked as you have done into the actual work required. I will follow this with interest, then happily use your experience to do this myself.

Brian

Hi John a bit out of synch but the finished Lord Nelson...boiler replaced with Perspex tube...Bachmann loco and tender chassis..full repaint ...new handrails and pipe work except the brassy bits on the side..awaiting sir Francis drake nameplates...and a bit more grime on the motion which I appear to have missed.....will now concentrate on thane...well after receiving a chassis for the class 47 I bought today at last...to my eye a nice model which will benefit from a bit of subtle weathering....I do like Darrels rendition on the GBL thread...more soonpost-23587-0-88377300-1441208723.jpg

Not apparent from the photo but the tender lump removed..plastic covering the resultant hole and real coal added. The front steps and rear ones on the tender sadly had to be removed to allow it around my layout...whilst many of my fleet never turn a wheel in anger I still need them to run on my layout when required and pull a representative load. In this respect I am. Dry pleased with the sh Bachmann chassis...one of only three examples of split axles ones I own I have seen far too many ex LMS mainline 460s with the axles damages and therefore U/s ...I note however the initiative by Peters Spares in having replacements made...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I havnt been working on thane or indeed a number of other locos in recent days ( weeks) the embryonic thane as shown in the photos highlighted a problem transition curve ...the tightest on the layout..thru a curved point...it is at the opposite corner to the photo..anyway this lead from the scenic into fiddle yard. The point removed and the radii increased. I then spent a lot of time getting the running right in this area. I have now done so but it has necessitated a rewire of the effected zone. I have never been happy with my wiring so have taken the opportunity to rewire the control panel points and signals. I have found a little light relief from this core by placing a Bachmann chassis under the GBL royal scot...created a sub chassis for its tender...all in honour of me copping and cabbing it at the Severn Valley recently. Thane has had its front bogie riding improved beyond recognition and rear cartazzi pony truck added. The superheater covers as shown are being beefed up whilst retaining the nice ether rivet detail. The cylinders exist and most of the motion is complete..the trouble is if I divert too much I will never complete the wiring...or worse over compromise in its application. I will show more photos soon

Slow progress on the 84xxx. I now have the Comet detailing kit, which is excellent, but am waiting for a chimney and motion bracket from 247 Developments. I'm having a bit of a struggle to identify the correct pipe runs on the firebox top, so sent for a PDK drawing which was no use. I have made a start on the cab roof, which needs to flow into the cab sides and is a distinctive difference from the Ivatt loco. I also fitted the steam manifold to give me a starting point for the detail work on the loco. The steam injector work under the cab sides

post-1659-0-33055100-1443775159.jpg

post-1659-0-33889500-1443775169.jpg

post-1659-0-82192400-1443775179.jpg

Next phase of the 84000 conversion. It still needs handrails, some additional representational wiring, steps below the cab doors , rain strips, and the steps on the rear bunker. I'm still awaiting that thing on the front that the smoke comes out.

post-1659-0-08483900-1444154712.jpg

post-1659-0-30041800-1444154721.jpg

Almost completed 84009. This engine was at Hull Dairycoates from June 1959 to Dec 1962. I don,t have any info on why it was there or what turns it covered. It seems a strange one-off allocation.

The photos show a wonky 8 on the RH side. The pipework is a reasonable representation but I don't claim strict accuracy. I copied it from a DJH kit beautifully assembled, but I don't think the DJH instructions actually match the few prototype photos I managed to source. I have a motion bracket but it won,t fit the Bachmann valvegear. At some point I'll try to source cylinder draincocks which I feel add something to the overall look.and fit the plastic brakegear.

post-1659-0-46266900-1444564786.jpg

post-1659-0-39898600-1444564797.jpg

post-1659-0-10550000-1444564806.jpg

post-1659-0-53837700-1444564818.jpg

post-1659-0-47616100-1444564862.jpg

• 3 months later...

A bit more cutting, shutting and filing results in something starting to look like what will become OCEAN SWELL. Getting the footplate level right is a bit of an effort, and it's still not quite there. Plastic handrails have been removed and the smokebox extension and firebox filler piece epoxyed into place. A great deal of filler will be needed to replace the dome.

Next stage is to fit the cylinder block and check the fitting of the leading bogie. The rear bogie wheels also need repositioning when the Cartazzi castings are fitted, which is a bit of a faff, if I remember correctly from TRIMBUSH.

The GBL body was a decent clone of the Bachmann model. Whatever the niceties, it means that the resin parts are virtualy as good a fit on the GBL version as they were on the Bachmann model for which they were designed.

post-1659-0-95201900-1454167022_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-77723800-1454167038_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-35110500-1454167053_thumb.jpg

This is looking good, and I doubt very much if anyone would notice the issues in the Britania chassis when its bowling around the layout - if its anything like the one under my Brit it will be a good runner for sure!

I wondered if there was a reason you didn't use the GBL tender that goes with the body, and also if you've found a cheap source for these very useful items?

John.

I wondered if there was a reason you didn't use the GBL tender that goes with the body, and also if you've found a cheap source for these very useful items?

John.

The only reason for using the Bachmann tender was that I already had one from an earlier conversion using Graeme,s parts on an A2/2. At the time, Bachmann A2,s could be had for £80 and if I remember correctly, I used the chassis and body and kept the tender.

I may actually use the GBL tender before I'm finished as it's a nice moulding and should fit onto a zHornby underframe or be reasonably easy to fit a dummy chassis.

Cheers John

Archived