WESTDALE BULLEID SEMI-OPEN BRAKE THIRD KIT 7MM

jimbo

Jim

I have taken some pictures for you - having trouble copying and pasting into my response though - I'm probably being stupid but when I select paste nothing happens. Is there some dark art in doing this?

Bob

Not a dark art - just a different technique! If you look at the lower right hand corner of the 'Reply' box, there is a 'Reply with attachments' link. This will open a slightly different Reply box with the option to attach a file or files. Choose the file that you want to attach (the one that you were trying to copy and paste) and click 'Attach This File'. 

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks Dave - I have learned something this evening!

Jim

First photo shows the underneath of the coach with the bogies removed and shows the location of 2 of the chassis/body fixing bolts which are partly unscrewed for illustrative purposes. There is one in each corner of the chassis

post-21587-0-56142000-1434316747_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows the coach body after the chassis screws have all been removed and the chassis lifted off. It shows the bottom edge of the aluminium  'L' angle with its screw holes - the brass nuts are soldered on the other side of each of these holes on the inside of the coach

post-21587-0-46863000-1434316776_thumb.jpg

The third picture shoes the inside of the coach looking towards the end with the other side of 'L' angle fixed in place against the coach end with Epoxy

post-21587-0-76797800-1434317114_thumb.jpg

The next picture attempts to show you  one of the brass nuts soldered the top edge of the L angle  (the arrow points to it through the window). The bolts shown in picture 1 screw into these

post-21587-0-13456600-1434317358_thumb.jpg

The final picture shows the complete coach

I hope this is of help

Best wishes

Bob

post-21587-0-33059700-1434317884_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

Firstly your Maunsell coach looks superb !

How exactly does the coach body fit to the chassis. Does it just sit snugly against wood blocks thus allowing easy detachment ?

I have assembled and glued the coach ends to chassis as per picture,will this be ok?

many thanks.

Jim

post-8161-0-42774400-1434458080_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

Firstly your Maunsell coach looks superb !

How exactly does the coach body fit to the chassis. Does it just sit snugly against wood blocks thus allowing easy detachment ?

I have assembled and glued the coach ends to chassis as per picture,will this be ok?

many thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim

The body sits on top of the chassis but the two aluminium angle blocks glued to the inside ends of the coach ends (see photo 2 in my original pictures) rest on the top of the chassis floor and stop the chassis from disappearing completely up into the coach interior. I didn't use the wooden blocks that came with the kit.

My preference would be to always fix the coach ends to the body rather than to the chassis so that the body/roof forms a sold box unit that won't buckle - by doing it the way you have done it I can't think of an easy way that you can make the body removable. The risk of not being able to take the body off the completed coach is that if one of the windows subsequently falls out in the future or a passenger becomes detached from their seat it would be a difficult (and somewhat destructive) process to try and break back into the coach to repair it

Are you able to remove the ends from the chassis and fix them to the body ends instead?

Regards 

Bob

Hi Jim

The body sits on top of the chassis but the two aluminium angle blocks glued to the inside ends of the coach ends (see photo 2 in my original pictures) rest on the top of the chassis floor and stop the chassis from disappearing completely up into the coach interior. I didn't use the wooden blocks that came with the kit.

My preference would be to always fix the coach ends to the body rather than to the chassis so that the body/roof forms a sold box unit that won't buckle - by doing it the way you have done it I can't think of an easy way that you can make the body removable. The risk of not being able to take the body off the completed coach is that if one of the windows subsequently falls out in the future or a passenger becomes detached from their seat it would be a difficult (and somewhat destructive) process to try and break back into the coach to repair it

Are you able to remove the ends from the chassis and fix them to the body ends instead?

Regards 

Bob

Hi Bob,

The coach ends are Araldited to chassis ! OOPs!

I shall just have to scratch my head again !

Many thanks again for info.

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps,

Here are some photos of nearly completed coach.

Putting the glazing in was massively trying,made up some new expleteives !!!

Anyway, starting to look finished with some minor touching up and snagging.

Does anyone know where to get some number transfers for BR period?

ciao.

Jim

post-8161-0-36154400-1435561767_thumb.jpg

post-8161-0-22095700-1435561793_thumb.jpg

Hi chaps,

Here are some photos of nearly completed coach.

Putting the glazing in was massively trying,made up some new expleteives !!!

Anyway, starting to look finished with some minor touching up and snagging.

Does anyone know where to get some number transfers for BR period?

ciao.

Jim

Hi Jim

HMRS Pressfix transfers are probably the best - the sheet will also give you the 'GUARD' wording for the appropriate doors and the 'maximum load' wording for the bottom edge of the guards compartment plus the no smoking triangles you will need for some of the windows. The set will also include some larger loco cabside numbers that are suitable to use as the set numbers on the brake van ends of the coach.

Regards

Bob

Hi Jim - SR toilet windows are almost an essay subject in their own right!

The toilet windows tended to be frosted (greyish) although in some pictures (particularly when they were first built) they appear to be white - to complicate matters further pictures in BR days often show some Bulleid coach toilet windows as being frosted up as far as the ventilator strip with the window above the strip being glazed with white glass!!

I tend to do my BR green Bulleid's with this half and half approach - it depends if you like a challenge - the picture below shows this on one of my OO Comet Bulleid coaches

For the frosted part of the glass I no longer paint the inside of the glazing strip grey but do the following;

cut a piece of glazing material that is about 4 times higher and 4 times wider than what you need to use.

On one side of the glazing only rub it down with some /medium/fine wet and dry paper on a clean smooth surface

Rub it horizontally,vertically and in a circular pattern for a couple of minutes until you have a suitably 'frosted' effect created  by the wet and dry paper

Blow away any resultant dust and then viewing from the  non abrased side check the best part of the glazing pattern you have created (you need to ensure that the rubbing down has created an even frosting effect and that there are no single large scratches or missed patches in the part you intend to use) - you can then cut out the best part you have created using the dimensions you need for your window.

Stick the glazing into the coach in the usual way with the abrased side facing inside the coach and the smooth unabrased side forming the outside of the window.

If you want to then make the upper half appear white then it is simply a case of carefully applying white paint on the inside of the glazing but taking care not to get paint on the lower half as you won't be able to get the paint off the abrased surface.

Using this method creates a nice frosted glass effect but you can simply paint the inside of the glazing grey if you prefer.

I have noticed from your pictures that you have started the coach glazing - does this mean you won't be varnishing it when all the transfers have been applied?

Regards

Bob

post-21587-0-43660400-1435745459_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

Again, you are a mine of information, as you say there are various permutations, thinks I may do the half and half approach.

Also the security bars on the guards compartment,were they left in bare brass or painted black?

Ciao

Jim B

Hi Bob,

Again, you are a mine of information, as you say there are various permutations, thinks I may do the half and half approach.

Also the security bars on the guards compartment,were they left in bare brass or painted black?

Ciao

Jim B

Not sure on that one Jim - personal taste would make me paint them black as they are not that obvious  when you look at a real carriage and leaving them unpainted would make them stand out far too much

Regards

bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Does anyone know what colour the security bars are on the guards van area,methinks white ??

ciao.

Jim.

Jim, on the Bluebell railway site there are lots of pics of Bulleids in works. That might help. It helped me with the colours in the Guard's area; the lime green was a bit of a surprise!

Phil

Jim, on the Bluebell railway site there are lots of pics of Bulleids in works. That might help. It helped me with the colours in the Guard's area; the lime green was a bit of a surprise!

Phil

Thanks,

I have checked pics of the Bluebell Bulleids but I can't get a definitive picture. Methinks some were painted white and some black !!

ciao.

Jim.

• 1 month later...

More work on this coach.

When fitting the shell over chassis it just wouldn't fit as the mdf flooring had a bow in the centre,more head scratching !!

So to cover the shortfall in one of bodysides I have cut a strip of aluminium and glued this so the side actually fits the chassis !

Oh well back to more rubbing down!!

JIm.

post-8161-0-73579000-1441091692_thumb.jpg

Archived