A J39/1 from the Bachmann model

mikemeg

Some of the viewers of this topic area may, from time to time, have seen photos of a Bachmann J39 which I rebuilt and converted to P4 a few years ago. Also, a year or two ago, I scratch built a batch of three LNER 3500 gallon tenders, using mainly plasticard, with the intention of converting a couple more Bachmann J39's to J39/1's, which were by far the most numerous of the three variants of the J39.

The J39/1 had the LNER 3500 gallon tender; the J39/2 had the LNER 4200 gallon tender - as per the Bachmann model - and the J39/3 had tenders from North Eastern locos, of 3940 or 4175 gallon capacity. As far as I can ascertain, the actual locos were identical, apart from their tender connections.

So, as an 'in between' project; in between test building Arthur Kimber's North Eastern etched kits, I thought it about time that I put two of these tenders - I sold the third one to Tom Foster - to good use.

Stage one of this conversion is to address the Bachmann J39 loco body. The handrails have all been removed and the holes for the handrail stanchions filled with model filler ready for drilling for Gibson handrail stanchions. The boiler bands have all been carved off and the footplate steps have been thinned from the rear. The cab roof rainstrips have also been taken off as the curve, when compared to a drawing of the J39, is too pronounced.

The next task, on the loco body, is to build a bottom section for the boiler. The Bachmann chassis occupies much of the daylight space under this boiler. This modification makes an enormous difference to the look of the model and allows the inside motion, valve linkage and valve chests to be seen very clearly. To do this, it is necessary to drive the loco on its rear set of driving wheels and to mount the motor within the firebox; more on this as this conversion proceeds.

So here's the tender, still requiring its inside frames and wheels, sat up against the stripped down loco body. Yes, the loco body looks pretty awful at the moment; hopefully it will look better as the project proceeds.

The second photo shows the first of these conversions; J39/2 64914 of Hull Dairycoates shed in mid 1950.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-80254300-1409848088_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-68663300-1409853968_thumb.jpg

Mike, if I had been signalman at "Haven" that morning, your J39 would have been stopped at Hessle Station signalbox. No headlamp, you should have been lamped "Light Engine", one lamp on centre iron.

Mick,

It'll be a year or two before I get around to modelling Hessle Station with its signal box, though the next section of the railway will have Hessle Haven signalbox. I'm still looking for some reasonable models of LNER or early BR loco lamps so if anyone knows of any, please post the source on here.

Cheers

Mike

Planning something similar for two bodies I have hanging around, thanks for illustrating what needs done.

D.

Happy to help. As this is a background project, then it might not go as quickly as some but I'll try and illustrate what needs to be done.

Cheers

Mike

I'm working on it, measurements taken.

Dave Franks.

Now isn't that the great benefit of this site. Thanks Dave and when you have them then I'll (and I guess many others) will have some from you.

Cheers and regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Are you aware of the Dave Bradwell chassis for the J39. It has included in the kit, a bottom part for the boiler in whitemetal and fits pretty well. I've built 2 - one in P4 and one in EM, and I've got a couple more in stock for further builds. It's really designed for P4 and the EM build involves some very dodgy approaches in the instructions which I intend to avoid next time. However, it does result in a very nice looking chassis including ornamental inside valve gear.

You've prepped the J39 body very well if I may say so. I found it quite difficult to carve off the boiler bands without leaving some scars - what did you use? Also like your scratchbuilt 3500 gal tender.

Cheers

Clem

Hi Mike,

Are you aware of the Dave Bradwell chassis for the J39. It has included in the kit, a bottom part for the boiler in whitemetal and fits pretty well. I've built 2 - one in P4 and one in EM, and I've got a couple more in stock for further builds. It's really designed for P4 and the EM build involves some very dodgy approaches in the instructions which I intend to avoid next time. However, it does result in a very nice looking chassis including ornamental inside valve gear.

You've prepped the J39 body very well if I may say so. I found it quite difficult to carve off the boiler bands without leaving some scars - what did you use? Also like your scratchbuilt 3500 gal tender.

Cheers

Clem

Clem,

I do have a couple of the Dave Bradwell chassis kits for the Bachmann B1, though not as yet assembled. In the instructions, associated with these kits, Dave details a very simple tool, made from scrap nickel silver, for carving off the boiler bands. I think Dave Bradwell's J39 instructions may also show how to make and use the same tool. I'll try and find it, or make another and photograph it. The key thing, on this tool, is that it has no real sharp edges.

On the J39 shown in the photo above - 64914 - I did actually make and fit a full set of dummy inside motion, largely from plasticard.

Cheers

Mike

Good morning all

I'm trying to convert J39's into J39/3's, using old white metal models. Tenders from Raven A2's, C7's, B13's, D17's and D21's  were used. 

The later J39's had a different valve cover. The J39/3's with A2 tenders, and the J39/2's with the high front tenders had this difference together with some 3500 & 4200 flush sided tenders.

This thread is interesting as I have a Bachmann J39, which could do with improvement.

Earlswood nob

Photo of the carving tool,for removing boiler bands. The end of this tool has variable radii so as the tool is turned onto its side, the radius in contact with the plastic increases. By this means the chance of scarring the body is much reduced. Turn the tool vertically to get into tight spaces.

The tool is 35 mm long and 6 mm wide and is made form .015" Nickel Silver.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-09179900-1410339820_thumb.jpg

Archived