Alan Harris Wheels

david.hill64

I have been given a Finney A4 to build: it comes with a set of superb Allan Harris wheels. I have not seen these before. My question: is it necessary to secure the taper pin that holds the wheelset together with anything other than its own interference fit?

Thank you,

David

Any chance of a build thread?

Certainly.

But before I start I must finish some wagons and I want to get the chassis complete on the first of my 4mm caprotti Black 5's so that it is in a fit state to adjourn. Then I now have the replacement chassis for my Deeley 0F.........

I am hoping to get the caprotti chassis finished as soon as my jet-lag is over: a round trip of 12000 miles for Telford was just about worth while but it does take it out of you! 

So please give me a couple of weeks and I'll start.

Good to see you in Weatherspoons on Sat. You've done it now you must start a build thread on the A4.

One thing to watch out for with the Harris wheels is when you come to fit the gear wheel / gearbox, you may have to move the pin.

OzzyO.

....Mr. Harris, selfishly wanted to deny his excellent wheels being perpetuated!

I suppose he didn't want his name "cheapened". I can sort of understand this, but on the other hand it could also suggest someone utterly convinced of his own greatness that anyone else following would be seen as inadequate!

I wonder if Phoenix Paints approached him?

Gentlemen

It is obvious that you do not know Alan Harris and that you know even less of his personal circumstances and the 'history' of his cast wheel business.

Please don't make assumptions which have no basis in fact. I am not going to make any further comment on this 'public' site but if you were to PM me I may consider elucidating further. Not that it will make any difference in his wheel range returning.

Sandy

Archived