The Chalford Auto etc - colour film footage in the Golden Valley...

It's amazing what you stumble across when scouring the web for something else - I was looking for photos of Stroud and Kemble stations in the Golden Valley when I found this fantastic little snippet...

http://stroudcommunity.tv/chalford-railway-station/

At the end another set of clips appear to click on - the 'Gloucester and up the Golden Valley to Brimscombe' is also worth a look. I love the muted BR Western Region paintwork and enamel signage - priceless!

We did a structure exam on the road bridge a few weeks ago - there is literally nothing left of the station now :O

EDIT: In fact it's hard to even see the ground 'cos of the line side forest - the overbridge wing wall slopes are pretty overgrown too

Little gems those clips aren't they! It's a crying shame about Chalford but you can still stand on the road bridge, look down and imagine a 14xx shuffling about with it's autocoach or a freight being banked up to Sapperton by a plucky 41xx'er. At least St.Mary's Crossing is still intact - which reminds me, on 4th October 'Earl Of Mount Edgcumbe' will be slogging up the bank on a round Cotswold tour - the wall above the crossing on the up side is a lovely spot for watching it go by.

• RMweb Gold

Little gems those clips aren't they! It's a crying shame about Chalford but you can still stand on the road bridge, look down and imagine a 14xx shuffling about with it's autocoach or a freight being banked up to Sapperton by a plucky 41xx'er.

Or alternatively, in a shameless plug, Captain Kernow suggests that you could purchase his new jointly-authored book 'The Golden Valley Line - past & present', to be published by Silver Link (aka The Nostalgia Collection) later this year (all my fees go to charity).  ;)

• RMweb Gold

It's amazing what you stumble across when scouring the web for something else - I was looking for photos of Stroud and Kemble stations in the Golden Valley when I found this fantastic little snippet...

At the end another set of clips appear to click on - the 'Gloucester and up the Golden Valley to Brimscombe' is also worth a look. I love the muted BR Western Region paintwork and enamel signage - priceless!

Superb, Nidge, thanks for that, brilliant footage!  I love the moody, Winter atmosphere, too.

Great footage but what a state those locos are in!

Or alternatively, in a shameless plug, Captain Kernow suggests that you could purchase his new jointly-authored book 'The Golden Valley Line - past & present', to be published by Silver Link (aka The Nostalgia Collection) later this year (all my fees go to charity).  ;)

No shame in that CK, count me in chief! It's one of my favourite bits of Railway in all of England, I just wish I'd been born early enough to sample it's steam age delights and the early Hydraulic period. Every photo I've ever come across of the line oozes charm and warmth, even those taken in the depth of Winter. There are some gorgeous pics of it in 'The Last Days Of Steam In Gloucestershire'.

Paul - that porter crossing the line looked as though he had all the time in the world didn't he? The pace of life was very different back then...!

Archived