The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

8 cars you can't have in the USA

PhilJ W

Next time you’re over try a Tax Free purchase and have it ship over yourself!!!!!!!!

Best, Pete.

There are then the costs of importing it. 20% VAT and import duty, first registration costs and VED, along with the costs to get it compliant with UK regulations.

All the best

Keith

I'm aware of the early prejudice regarding Japanese vehicles and that it was exactly that. Prejudice, without any real, factual basis.

At least over here the factual basis was rust. Until the mid-80s at least, pretty much any mainstream Japanese car would rust reasonably quickly in parts of North America where road salt is used. My '83 Honda Accord was no longer structurally sound by '89 (could push a screwdriver through the sides of the front strut housings), but my '90 Toyota Corolla was fine when I disposed of it (mechanically worn down at 400,000km) in '99. None of my subsequent Subarus have had any rust issues.

Note that this didn't mean that North American cars of the same vintage were better, they were just made of thicker steel so they took longer to become unsafe.

On Ladas, I have it on good authority that a substantial portion of the Canadian sales in the last few years that Lada was here (late '90s) were to people who then exported them back to Russia.

Adrian

Not at £13k i dont!!

Rather go for another revamped old timer at that price, the dacia duster which is basically a renault

Don't buy a white one then as there have been some paint failures leading to vary Lada-esque early rusting.

Okay, I'll concede the early(and not so early) Japanese rust issue. Having lived in oz for nearly 20 years now, I tend to forget what real rust is like.

Nonetheless, I maintain that even the early Japanese exports were properly screwed together. The same cannot be said of the current products of the Chinese manufacturers.

A much closer comparison would be with the products of the old soviet union or, perhaps, the British industry on a particularly off day in the 70s ;-).

Nonetheless, I maintain that even the early Japanese exports were properly screwed together. The same cannot be said of the current products of the Chinese manufacturers.

I would agree with that. One of my former coworkers used to drive a Chevrolet Chevette. When the police forced him to take it off the road (structural and mechanical issues including running on only 3 cylinders), he bought a 1989 Toyota Corolla with 280,000 km on it. He was amazed at how well it still worked and that he could still undo all the bolts on it - he was used to the (as he put it) 'hex-head rivets' of the Chevette (rusted bolts whose head would snap off if you tried to turn them).

Adrian

Anyone going to admit to actually purchasing a ’70’s Datsun “Sunny” (120Y)? The only car to make a Morris Marina look svelte...

A former neighbour owned one - a two-door, I think. It wasn't the greatest-looking car in the world (think Datsun's version of what an American sedan should look like), but it never broke down. There was also a Sunbeam Rapier-ish fastback coupé variant.

I once drove its descendant, the Sunny 130Y 1.5DX. Whilst not exactly setting the world on fire, at least it looked inoffensive and was the very epitome of a small three-box saloon.

Where my family used to live (West Hendon) in the 1970s, anything with a Datsun, Honda or Toyota badge was absurdly popular with ethnic Indian families. These were cars that were affordable, reliable, didn't drink vast amounts of 2- or 4-star, and could carry virtually anything within reason. This was the coming of age of the Toyota Corolla, Cressida, Mk.1 Celica, Datsun 100A (later the "Cherry"), 120Y, 1st gen. Honda Civic and Accord.

At least over here the factual basis was rust. Until the mid-80s at least, pretty much any mainstream Japanese car would rust reasonably quickly in parts of North America where road salt is used.

Note that this didn't mean that North American cars of the same vintage were better, they were just made of thicker steel so they took longer to become unsafe.

I bought a 1988 model year Chevrolet product*. GM was advertising anti-rust coatings on the steel at that time.

While it started life in California I subsequently drove it in Chicago. It didn't rust.

* EDIT: in 1987.

I bought a 1988 model year Chevrolet product. GM was advertising anti-rust coatings on the steel at that time.

While it started life in California I subsequently drove it in Chicago. It didn't rust.

No, by '88 the US manufacturers had mostly worked it out (and to be fair, so had the Japanese - the '89 and later Corollas are still around in reasonable numbers, while the previous generation are mostly long gone) and had engineered out a lot of the areas that would trap salty water. However, there is a reason that very few Chrysler K-Cars and their derivatives are still on the roads (well, there are many reasons, but rust is a big one). Also, cars that didn't spend their life in the 'rust belt' (broadly, the mid-west through to the north-east) survived a lot longer.

Adrian

Archived