TINGS This weekend ready to roll

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, I going to assume that was a poorly worded comment there Ben! There were some quality layouts at RMweb Live, including N Gauge, with Kinlet Wharf and Vale of Oxbury flying the flag. Vale of Oxbury even picked up a well deserved best layout award. Anyway that may be irrelevant as I think the RMweb show may make a move to earlier in the year for the next event. 

Tom.

Hi Tom,

My point was that against the context of good layouts picking and choosing which show they attend, TINGS' penny-pinching may lead to a situation where RMWeb offers a package of N Gauge layouts that are, overall, better than are on offer at TINGS.  At which point I suspect punters will vote with their feet.  Yes, RM Web had some superb N Gauge layouts but this year with Law Junction, Kings Park, Barton Road, Walsall Cement, Holby Airport, Santa Barbara among others I'd say TINGS offered a little more.  That may change.

Re Model Rail:  As some may know I contribute occasionally, and I wondered about the absence.  I checked yesterday and unfortunately it was something of a perfect storm of problems:   Model Rail has recently lost a member of the editorial team - and his replacement hasn't started yet - another staffer due to attend TINGS had to withdraw due to personal problems; while the third person who might have filled in was on holiday in Canada.  What I can say is that they weren't at RM Web live either!!

As for the NGS/TINGS confusion; I believe the first TINGS was organised by Pauline McKenna of Millfield Models; she had also organised an NGS expo at Wakefield a year or two before.  However, at the time it was very clear that TINGS was not linked to the NGS, however I can see that over the years that line may have become blurred.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi,Well having read some of the post connected with this event I thought it was perhaps time to just give a brief background as to how this event came to be some 11 years ago.

At the time myself and four others were modelling and exhibiting N gauge layouts around the countryShe ome of these also appeared in the  modelling press.

What we found that apart from the every 5 year show organised by the N Gauge Society there appeared to be nothing in terms of the expo/annual events that were held by the 2mm association,Scale Four society O gauge Guild etc.

We there for decide to look at what we could achieve ourselves.We spoke at length traders and exhibitors to see what their views were about such an event.Most were very positive about such an undertaking.Those at the time that were not was the N gauge society.They wished us all the best but said that an event every year/two would not work.

We decided to continue and after much search for a suitable location we came up with the Warwickshire exhibition centre.This apart from  not being as plush as some places was central to the rest of the country and had good transport links.This along with a bus laid on to and from the railway station with thought would suit our needs.

The venue itself is far from cheap and after several meetings with graham hubbard Bachmann agreed to support the event and make a ltd ed wagon for the show.

We then set the whole process in motion with our own money,alot of it and started advertising and obtaining traders and layouts.

The very first programme was written by myself in my lunch time and produced by George Smith of Dapol.

We also enlisted the help of Leamington Model railway Club who were most helpful before and during the event.

We looked at budgets and once expenses had been agreed before hand all were paid in full.We also negotiated exhibitor meals with the gentleman who had the catering franchise.I new he ran a restaurant in Ashby and so visited him and all was settle.He also agreed that on Friday only we could supply our own tea/coffee for exhibitors.

So after a few sleepness nights the event was upon us.The N gauge society only committed to attend the day before set up.

As for the event,well it appeared to be a success and we ended with a break even situation.

It was the days/weeks after that made me not,and have indeed never been involved again.

The ungrateful nature of quite a number of people that we had dared to put an event on for their chosen scale of which they hadn't bothered to visit because it was more than 20miles away,its to far from home,why couldn't it beed in the south etc.We even had some N gauge layouts that stated that they would not come as visitors and would only attend with a layout.

So the event did continue for a few years with a couple of the original orgainisers but was eventually taken over by the guy who owns the site.And yes he is very money driven.I understand that he now doesn't supply meals and has a restriction on the amount of operators he will pay for.

So No this event is and never has been anything to do with the N gauge Society.

Perhaps if people wont to see a move away from this venue to something more in line with others then perhaps some could do as we did.But this time see if you could get the Society on board.After all you are helping to promote the scale in which they stand for.

I hope in around about way this just clears who,what and when.

Ben will know some of the original event as he both attend and helped with ideas.

Thanks for your time,

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

My point was that against the context of good layouts picking and choosing which show they attend, TINGS' penny-pinching may lead to a situation where RMWeb offers a package of N Gauge layouts that are, overall, better than are on offer at TINGS.  At which point I suspect punters will vote with their feet.  Yes, RM Web had some superb N Gauge layouts but this year with Law Junction, Kings Park, Barton Road, Walsall Cement, Holby Airport, Santa Barbara among others I'd say TINGS offered a little more.  That may change.

Hi Ben. 

Against your original comment and in that context I understand and it is a fair point. In fact if the N Gauge show didn't have a better selection of N Gauge layouts than another non-scale specific show held on the same weekend then they would deserve to loose patronage!

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Thanks for the real inside story - fascinating.  I recalled Pauline and Steve being involved, and I knew there were others who were also responsible but my memory was a little hazy!

I hadn't realised there was any negativity after the show - I certainly thought it was a great idea at the time.  Prompted by your note, I have trawled the archives and this is what I wrote for Model Rail's November 2004 issue:

Thousands of N-Gauge enthusiasts from across Britain (and from abroad – including one visitor from Bermuda!) travelled to Warwickshire in September for the N-Gauge show – in what it’s hoped might become an bi-annual event.

Although the N-Gauge society has previously organised shows dedicated solely to N, this was the first independent venture and featured more than 25 high-quality layouts and a huge variety of traders.

The layouts included steam, modern image, Continental, Japanese and American as well as a large modular offering with a huge 15’ suspension bridge as its centrepiece.

The show was sponsored by Bachmann, who had a stand promoting their N-Gauge Graham Farish models, and Fleischmann, who were demonstrating the advantages of digital control systems.

Demonstrations on various aspects of the hobby took place throughout the day, and traders reported very encouraging sales, suggesting that N-Gauge has well and truly recovered from the doldrums it was in a few years ago.

A big thank you must go to the organisers – the only factor preventing the N-Gauge show taking place every year is the number of high-quality layouts available – so come on N-Gaugers, get building!

The article went on to feature some trade news: including information about the V2 steam loco and HAA coal hopper which were the first all-new toolings to emerge after Bachmann's take over of Farish (I think these items may have been the last models tooled at Poole, but I could be wrong) and Dapol showing a running pre-production sample of a 14XX...

Looking at the success the event has become, I am sure I speak for many in saying a big thank-you again for having the determination and vision to get this off the ground!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben. 

Against your original comment and in that context I understand and it is a fair point. In fact if the N Gauge show didn't have a better selection of N Gauge layouts than another non-scale specific show held on the same weekend then they would deserve to loose patronage!

Tom. 

Hi Tom,

Absolutely right it would - and I think that's what could happen if more and more exhibitors with "in-demand" layouts choose to give it a miss.... and all for the cost of a cheese roll, a can of pop and a couple of cups of tea!

Incidentally, I hope the RM Web show can find another date and avoid clashing with TINGS - Coventry isn't too far away from me and I really wish I could have attended - not least to see your layout for the first time!

cheers

Ben A.

Archived