Western Nameplates and Numbers

BrushType4

Thanks Neil, but that is only part of the story. It's possible it's Grotesque but I can't find a match anywhere. Cynric Williams is no longer with us so I don't know what he ended up with. :(

I'm not entirely sure that the font is not the bold version of the British Railway font.

post-1485-0-90571200-1410714295_thumb.jpg

Anyone in the know who can help?

• RMweb Gold

I see what you mean. I've just looked up p21 of Diesels in depth as Cynric (bless his soul) mentioned, and it's not very specific as there are many Grotesque fonts.

I'm sure I've read something in more detail elsewhere, will delve the library.

Neil

I think Misha Black of the Design Research Unit had a hand in the above Brian, with some input from John Beresford Evans during 1961, he also designed the plates used on the D600 and D800 Warships (based on GW style but with subtle differences here and there). The font used for the Westerns was also used on the WR namer Brush 4s City Of Truro, North Star, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Sir Daniel Gooch and George Jackson Churchward.

A cut of Grotesque is used for the green period diesel numbers, serif initially later removed from the 'D'.

Whatever the actual font, it's sans and given Misha Black's involvement, a totally new design is highly likely? Further to Cornelius' suggestions, a kick on the 'R' is another giveaway.

C6T.

A cut of Grotesque is used for the green period diesel numbers, serif initially later removed from the 'D'.

The trouble is Grotesque is a rather generic term for sans serif fonts coined in the late 19th century and not an actual specific font.

• RMweb Premium

Thought there as something in 'british rail 1948-78, a journey by design'(haresnape/IA,1979) but all it says is that Misha Black and J.Beresford Evans of Design Research Unit designed the loco and 'both numberplate and nameplates were carefully drawn and spaced to match.'

Edit:oops, just noticed nidge's post #7 above

• 1 month later...

Archived