Cardiff Exhibition October 18th & 19th

John_Miles

This year's Cardiff show includes two iconic layouts.

This will be the last appearance of Sandy Croall's Penlan. This much loved layout has won best in show almost everywhere it has appeared but sadly Sandy's rock star lifestyle has caught up with him and he is having to retire the layout.

The second is St Merryn - again another show stopper.

There are other excellent but less well know layouts - see http://www.cardiffmodelrail.org.uk/

Traders include Squires and the Cardiff Trolley Bus Group - not to be missed!

• 3 weeks later...
Rock star life-style ?

It was better than that, I think, or so I've been told.... :sungum:

I always suspected you didn't remember.

As the organisers seem very reluctant to promote their show, I'll add in a couple more of the attractions.

For the O gauge fans there is Frecclesham which has recently been in the Modeller and there is the attractively titled South Wales Colliery. This is an absolutely brilliant layout whose owner doesn't normally bring it to model railway shows, except Cardiff. Well worth seeing and really unusual.

I always suspected you didn't remember.

As the organisers seem very reluctant to promote their show, I'll add in a couple more of the attractions.

For the O gauge fans there is Frecclesham which has recently been in the Modeller and there is the attractively titled South Wales Colliery. This is an absolutely brilliant layout whose owner doesn't normally bring it to model railway shows, except Cardiff. Well worth seeing and really unusual.

Unfortunately there are two threads running, this and:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90694-cardiff-model-railway-exhibition-18th-19th-october-2014/

But you appear to be correct in your assumption John.

I have several shots of Wayne's colliery, I'll compress tham later and upload them.

Brian R

29th CARDIFF MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION -   Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th OCTOBER 2014
at
Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf (formerly Glantaff High School)
Bridge Road, Llandaf North, Cardiff CF14 2JL
10am-5pm Sat, 10am-4pm Sun
Free vintage bus to and from Cardiff Central Station (Sat. only)
Layouts in all major scales, Demonstrations, Traders and Preservation Societies
Hot and cold refreshments
FREE PARKING
LAYOUTS: include:-

St Merryn: By the South London Scalefour Area Group
some photos can be found at:-
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8946-st-merryn-p4-north-cornwall-layout/

Moose Creek: Canadian HO DCC with sound
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85615-moose-creek-a-world-from-abercynon-fach/

Dunvant: EM

Maidwell: OO

Rosamund Street: OO
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88144-rosamund-street-low-level-sidings/

Penlan: The final outing of this LNWR EM gauge layout
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1432-penlan-lnwr-in-south-wales-1910-em-gauge/

Tennessee Extraction Co: 0n30/16.5

South Wales Colliery: 7mm

Ashwood Basin: 7mm

BSC Shepcote Lane: 00

Freecclesham: 7mm

Bishop's Way: 4mm

Fryupdale: EM

DEMONSTRATORS

Geoff Kent: Rolling stock, vehicles and buildings

Geoff Taylor: Professional model buildings

Derek Mundy: Signal construction

Paul Gandy: Military modelling

TRADERS: including

Squires: Wide range of tools and bits and pieces

South Glos. Models: Scenics, modelling materials and more

Lendons: Hornby, Bachmann, modelling materials and more

Lord and Butler: Hornby, Bachmann and more

813 Fund: Secondhand books and magazines plus DVD’s

Finishing Touches: All things scenic

Martyn Parry: Quality Second Hand Models

Rural Railways: Locomotive and rolling stock kits and much more

Country Park Model: Hornby, Bachman spares

British Railway Photographs.com

CardiffTrolleybus Group

Also a number of national and local societies

Vist:
www.cardiffmodelrail.org.uk
For further details

I shall be there on Saturday :-)

Got back late last night from the Gaydon show, next is Cardiff, and the following weekend I am going to be at Eurospoor 14 in Utrecht.

Have I got a thing about model railway exhibitions?

Enjoyable two days, Rosamund Street behaved herself  - but as my brother (naturol) did several stints on the door (saving me), I didn't get too much time to take long and close looks at the other layouts, but did find time to stock up on some goodies..

Also good to see several members who chose to come along, including Black Rat visiting the mother country.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all involved. Plenty to see - a high quality ratio for a relatively small show (compared to some). I liked br2975's Rosamund Street a lot, especially the parcels vans sitting on the overhead line at the right side of the layout - very atmospheric indeed. St Merryn, Penlan and Frecclesford were also personal highlights, but there was a lot more to enjoy besides those.

I agree Al. I enjoyed it again, managed not to spend anything! Moose Creek and Rosamund Street by the 2 Brians were excellent. Not seen St Merryn before, and I like Cornish Railways so that was great, should have bought the book. Almost makes me want to model 50s/60s steam.....almost. Thanks to Brian R for the tip re working timetables. Enjoyed all the others too. 

I agree with the above comments: an excellent show with some really good layouts and traders. I managed not to spend too much, although the new book by the Welsh Railways Research Circle (Six Railways to Merthyr) was a must have and Squires saw quite a bit of my cash from the second hand stall.

The Penlan crew and wives had a commemoration dinner on the Saturday at the Mughal Emperor (Sandy's choice) and as ever we had a great time even though in a way it was a sad occasion. Sandy wore a tuxedo, as ever well over the top. We also had to endure one of his speeches.e

Although Penlan won't be on the exhibition circuit anymore, we are including Sandy as one of the Cardiff 4mm operators.

Almost ready.

Brian R

Very impressed Bri ,as I said at the time great variation on the over bridge theme,you could almost expect to see a parcels working "over the top"

Back ground buildings very convincing and well weathered 08s ....ahem....to boot .

Your hard work has really paid off

Archived