Any Shops Near Buxton

bigherb

Off on my annual pilgrimage to Buxton anybody know of any good model shops in the area. Never found any and couldn't see anything on UK model shops, or do I have to go into the steel city?

There are None that I know of except a shop that usually has some Hornby in the window, Its NOT a model shop as far as I know although I have only driven past it. It appears to be a general store doing some Hornby.

Its at the Western end of the shopping precinct alongside the A515 in the town, its a corner shop, but I know no more I'm afraid.

I hope that helps a bit.

EDIT= = Just found it on Google Earth on a corner under a glass canopy under the Grove Hotel, but I still cant see the name of the shop.

• RMweb Gold

Off on my annual pilgrimage to Buxton anybody know of any good model shops in the area. Never found any and couldn't see anything on UK model shops, or do I have to go into the steel city?

Rails or Olivia's is still your best option.Rails has easy parking on the A61 Chesterfield Road & you could drive or take the tram to Olivia's. Anyway,Sheffield is a great place.Nirmals for good Oriental cuisine.So,what's with the annual pilgrimage to Buxton,then?

• RMweb Gold

Dave is still at Poynton. I don't know what his current stock is like as I haven't been there for a while. Trades at exhibitions as SMTF. http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/698-SMTFModelShop

There's also the Brookside Miniature Railway around the garden centre site and railwayana everywhere, including a complete signal box. http://www.brooksideminiaturerailway.co.uk/

The Garden Centre is on the A523 about three-quarters of a mile south of the A6 at Hazel Grove. Not easy to miss as the entrance has station name signs and level crossing gates.

Thanks for the replies

Andrew P yes I know the shop it's more of a novelty shop a bit of everything, sometimes get my smokes in there.

Ranger thanks might have a mooch in the bookshop.

LNER & Signalengineer, Poynton sounds promising I'll have a mooch around there as well, that was the sort of place I thought someone might know.

Ian, just my annual holiday in the camper van up to the Peaks might go down a few holes. Off piste visit to the Stockport air raid shelters, could get the train and stop off at Hazel Grove.

Thanks everyone.

Peak Rail in Matlock is of interest. It has  a shop though Not really a model shop! But quite a bit of railway related interest around there. Worth a look.

The shop at peak rail has a great railway bookshop attached. Not big but good selection. Could have spent hours if I'd been allowed to...

M

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies

Andrew P yes I know the shop it's more of a novelty shop a bit of everything, sometimes get my smokes in there.

Ranger thanks might have a mooch in the bookshop.

LNER & Signalengineer, Poynton sounds promising I'll have a mooch around there as well, that was the sort of place I thought someone might know.

Ian, just my annual holiday in the camper van up to the Peaks might go down a few holes. Off piste visit to the Stockport air raid shelters, could get the train and stop off at Hazel Grove.

My favourite area.....live close,anyway. Hot tip for a great pub with superb ale and great food. 'The Packhorse' in Little Longstone....just down the road from Monsal Head and the Monsal Trail....aka the sadly demised railway . Highly recommended.Do not pass this by.

Thanks everyone.

• RMweb Gold

One other place to look at is Masson Mills at Matlock Bath, they have a large selection of Hornby stock, as well as a full range of paints, and some scratch building materials on the ground floor next to the Gents toilets (good planning). The food in the restaurant is uniformly excellent, although a little pricey, and there are three floors of shops, mostly household goods and clothing. You have to pay to park, but it's not that expensive.

• RMweb Gold

I'd forgotten about the the shop at Poynton, its brilliant, I was in there a few Months back when I was up at my mates in Hazel Grove, and bought some good bits, really friendly staff as well.

The Deli in the next building on the site usually does a decent coffee, amongst other refreshments.

• RMweb Premium

When are you planning your visit?

If you are near Derby next weekend, 4/5 October, come and visit our show

Details here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89489-mickleover-model-railway-group/

Note this is not the Roundhouse show next May as advertised in my signature below - this is our small village hall event and our clubroom is open.

Archived