RMweb

Croydon North Street - NSE 3rd Rail 1980s/90s

Pete 75C

Hello Pete, Nothing like a change in direction for inspiration, l like the new layout its looking really good, will drop in often to keep an eye on the progress...

George

Thanks George. Ashcombe was always an inspiration. Is it still stuck in Bodgits potting shed??? :lol:

Thanks pauln. Wherabouts in Wallington? I was in Osmond Gardens, just off Demesne Rd. Mellows Park was the closest green space when I was a kid but we used to go down to Beddington Park simply because it was huge and more fun. I used to hang around by the ponds at the Hackbridge end of the pedestrian path that led from Croydon Rd down past the grammar school. Happy days.

I used the Scalescenes tarmac sheets a couple of times on N gauge layouts but I was never happy disguising the joins either! For this I've used cut vinyl markings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realistic-looking-A4-Cut-Vinyl-Road-Markings-for-OO-HO-Gauge-Hornby-Layouts-/281485280591?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4189d4854f

...they're good quality and a doddle to apply. A bit shiny, but they can be weathered with powders once in place. A pet hate of mine is visible joins in roads and car parks etc. I've got in the habit of using copier paper to make a template and then cutting a piece of 3mm MDF. The road surface is weathered, then the vinyls applied, then weathered again.

Thanks for the link to the Scenecraft station pack. I'll have a go at making them myself but it's nice to know there's a lazy option if it all goes wrong! I do remember there used to be an ebay seller "dustylionflower" that supplied pre-painted NSE red metal benches, station clocks etc. Wonder what happened to him?

Woodcote Road. But grew up in Battersea looking over the line to Stewarts Lane (why on earth didn't I have a decent camera when great stuff like the Brighton Belle used to go past?).

Those vinyls are the same ones I ended up buying - probably from the same seller in OO.  I've laid some of the yellow lines and they look good. Need to get the bus stop done now.

Dustylionflower was the seller I was thinking of too.

Edited by pauln
  • Like 1

You may already be aware of this, but just in case you aren't,  "St Simon" of this parish has a fair few 3D printed NSE type station fitments in OO that you may find of use.

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/SJPModels

Thanks I hadn't seen those. They could be useful but, unless I am doing something wrong, the shipping is extortionate (9 euros for one little plastic item).

Yeah, thanks for the heads-up on St Simon's 3D printed items, cromptonnut. I was aware of the AWS ramps but not the information displays and DOO mirrors and monitors - they look really good. I've not used Shapeways before but are the items shipped from abroad? That would explain the P&P, I guess. I can imagine it making sense to place an order for more than just the one item.

Edited by Pete 75C

I think postage is a set price - I've just added 4 items to my basket and it's the same price.  It's international, with offices in Eindhoven, Holland and New York.  50 euros of stuff inc p&p would cost me £40.

Will wait till after payday... reality sucks.

There are lots of useful 3D printed OO or HO scale 'things' that may be of use and can all be put in the same box so it's quite possible that you could get quite a lot for standard postage.

Also, if you have other "like minded modellers" nearby that might be interested in the same sort of stuff you could club together for one large order and share the postage?

Edited by cromptonnut

No photo progress just yet, but I've been arranging some buildings at the high street end and figuring out just how the station entrance scene will work, bearing in mind the line extends beyond platform 2 right through the middle of everything! Not easy. I want it to look believable. I saw some pictures of the Scalescenes modern station building on Facebook and it looks absolutely lovely so downloaded and printed it yesterday. I have no choice... I'll have to chop it about and go for a low relief version. Let's hope it works. I've also been busy printing station nameboards and other details. Printed onto semi-gloss self adhesive photo paper, I find that sticking them to the thinnest plastic sheet I have works well. I've decided to go for Network SouthEast branding simply because I like it. I well remember their "if it doesn't move, paint it red" philosophy! When it comes to modelling, I'm not a purist by any means. If a late 60s 2BIL ends up arriving into a NSE-branded station, there are those that will think it looks daft but I shall be quite happy.

I also wired up the Dapol semaphores yesterday. I was a bit of an idiot securing them in place and weathering them BEFORE testing that they work but thankfully they both bounce up and down nicely, as Sid James might have said.

My blue/grey 2EPB also arrived (thanks Buffers - you seem to be the last shop on the planet with that version left in stock). I now need to try and remove the Kent Link branding without damaging the surrounding paintwork... T-Cut, perhaps? More soon.

• Like 1

I've cut the road/pavement areas at the left hand end of the main board. The paper templates are transferred to 2mm MDF and then very lightly sanded before spraying with a variety of colours to give a basic tarmac effect. Some Skaledale resin buildings have been arranged to see how much space I have to play with. The cardboard cutout up against the backscene is roughly where the Scalescenes modern station building will be, after I've hacked it about into a low relief version! Playing around with templates and loose buildings is always useful to me so I can get an idea of what to do next! I need to mix up some filler to give a smooth transition from the MDF to the surrounding scenic area. Eventually, I'll cut individual paving slabs for the pavements and I've asked the supplier of the cut vinyl road markings to supply a sheet of cross-hatchings for the line as it extends between the buildings and over the high street. In reality, there would be very little traffic using this part of the line and so there's no need for full gates or barriers.

As mentioned, I'm not great at scratchbuilding and because of this, I'm a big fan of some of the latest Scenecraft and Skaledale resin buildings. I couldn't hope to come close to their quality and realism. "Straight out of the box" modelling gets up some folks' noses but at least I'll weather the buildings and change the shop names etc.

Down by the road bridge is a shunter's mess room and there's just about enough room for this. There will be plenty of yard clutter and maybe a Mk4 Cortina parked outside!

Some shots of the camera-shy seldom seen LH end of the main board:

post-17811-0-31238900-1415536718.jpg

post-17811-0-34066900-1415536719.jpg

post-17811-0-27476400-1415536720.jpg

And finally, the location of the shunter's mess room, nestling in the shadow of the road bridge:

post-17811-0-97447000-1415536768.jpg

• Like 19

I've cut the road/pavement areas at the left hand end of the main board. The paper templates are transferred to 2mm MDF and then very lightly sanded before spraying with a variety of colours to give a basic tarmac effect. Some Skaledale resin buildings have been arranged to see how much space I have to play with. The cardboard cutout up against the backscene is roughly where the Scalescenes modern station building will be, after I've hacked it about into a low relief version! Playing around with templates and loose buildings is always useful to me so I can get an idea of what to do next! I need to mix up some filler to give a smooth transition from the MDF to the surrounding scenic area. Eventually, I'll cut individual paving slabs for the pavements and I've asked the supplier of the cut vinyl road markings to supply a sheet of cross-hatchings for the line as it extends between the buildings and over the high street. In reality, there would be very little traffic using this part of the line and so there's no need for full gates or barriers.

As mentioned, I'm not great at scratchbuilding and because of this, I'm a big fan of some of the latest Scenecraft and Skaledale resin buildings. I couldn't hope to come close to their quality and realism. "Straight out of the box" modelling gets up some folks' noses but at least I'll weather the buildings and change the shop names etc.

Down by the road bridge is a shunter's mess room and there's just about enough room for this. There will be plenty of yard clutter and maybe a Mk4 Cortina parked outside!

attachicon.gifmanorroad_026.jpg

attachicon.gifmanorroad_027.jpg

attachicon.gifmanorroad_028.jpg

And finally, the location of the shunter's mess room, nestling in the shadow of the road bridge:

attachicon.gifmanorroad_029.jpg

Should not be a problem to you Pete, looking at the new internal wall's................

Good pics, nice modelling......... :paint:

• Like 1

attachicon.gifmanorroad_026.jpg

attachicon.gifmanorroad_027.jpg

attachicon.gifmanorroad_028.jpg

attachicon.gifmanorroad_029.jpg

WOW WOW WOW!!!!! What happened over night when it used to be a terminus and there were no houses in sight! Really good anyway

• Like 1

Should not be a problem to you Pete, looking at the new internal wall's................

Ah, you spotted the fact that the layout lives on the part-refurbished top floor! I thought I was quite clever putting it up there. The lack of electrics is a pain but I can sneak up there to do some modelling and my wife thinks I'm decorating... :acute:

• Like 4

Looking superb.

Just one observation. Was the line originally double track or had a passing loop?

If so perhaps one of the buildings next to the level crossing should be a modern building that has been built on the old track alignment.

Ian

Er...

Stop making me think. It's too early!

I hadn't given that a shred of thought! :O Suggestions on a postcard, please!

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

Whilst up a ladder painting a ceiling I gave some thought to what Ian (roundhouse) said above. Well, I didn't have anything else to think about...

I'm going to stick with the premise that, as built, Croydon North Street was a terminus, just like the original Central Croydon station when it opened in 1868. However, research suggests that there were plans to continue the line from Central Croydon to connect with the line from West Croydon to Sutton. This never happened but if it had, it could have been a very useful diversionary route and Central Croydon station may have stayed open a lot longer than it actually did.

So, back to model-land, a few years after being opened as a terminus, the line from Croydon North Street was extended over the high street, curving sharply right to meet the West Croydon line. This arrangement worked well for a few years but as traffic declined, the extension was closed and most of the land sold off, returning Croydon North Street to a terminus once again. Some of the line was kept as a freight-only branch serving the industrial estates of the Purley Way area. This branch sees only occasional use, and so there's no need for gates or barriers across the high street. In my head, the arrangement looks pretty much like that at Sheringham, mentioned way back on Page 1, pictures below.

I do like the idea of using a more modern building on one side of the freight-only line as this would suggest the line was originally double track.

post-17811-0-46767300-1415628811.jpg

© Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

post-17811-0-40276100-1415628812.jpg

© Copyright Mike Smith and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

post-17811-0-23971500-1415628813.jpg

© Copyright Stacey Harris and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Its like being on holiday seeing those photo's, we always park in the station car park when camping in the area! I think you are right, taking inspiration from Sheringham, the other idea would be to look at the likes of Weymouth and lift a little inspiration from there. Say the line was always built as a terminus but had an extension across the high street to service a sleeper works or some such industry, the track could be run between buildings with a very tight loading gauge, along with a badly parked ford granada being ticketed...

I can feel a joining of two well known 3rd rail layouts coming on....... via a central fiddle! All (nearly quiet) here though as Waddon is still in a queue at club and now nearly at the front! Have been fiddling about with bits but not a your prodigious rate!! I reckon I need a target will suggest DEMU 2016 to the powers that be!! Still we have 4 sound fitted EMUs now and 2 x 33s one fat one thin etc etc  S

• Like 2

Still we have 4 sound fitted EMUs now and 2 x 33s one fat one thin etc etc

That's 3 x EMUs and 1 x Crompton more than I've got... you're making me jealous! Been meaning to ask how Waddon Marsh is coming along. Have you spotted a pattern yet? I seem to have developed a passion for small 3rd rail layouts and also the same part of London! I do kinda regret letting Waddon Marsh go but truthfully, I found trying to model an actual prototype location a bit stressful... too many compromises! North Street is pure fiction and I think that's just the way I like it. Update the Waddon Marsh thread when you get a chance, Si.

Edited by Pete 75C

I've finally settled on the road layout for the station forecourt. This was a pain because there's a railway line running right through the middle of everything! Having messed about with everything from Wills paving to Scalescenes sheets, I've finally just laid 2mm Evergreen styrene strip to form the kerbs and skimmed household filler mixed with black paint between the raised kerbs to form the pavement area. As the filler is around 2mm deep, this will take a few days to dry... it can then be sanded down, "repair" patches masked and sprayed and road markings added. A total mess at the moment, so a complete waste of time taking any pictures!

Waiting for filler to dry is boring to say the least, so I decided to see if I could make one of those NSE D.O.O. mirrors that were mentioned earlier. I had a look at the 3D printed ones that are available but they do seem a little rough around the edges, I assume you can lightly sand a 3D printed item? I genuinely have no idea... Being a bit of a tightwad, I wanted one for nothing!

All I did was make up a little template, transfer the flattened 3D design to the thinnest plastic sheet I had, cut it out and then fold it up. It's fragile to say the least but the Halfords red oxide primer makes a passable attempt at faded Network SouthEast red! The tinfoil-covered thin card for the mirror surface has some creases which look like cracks as a result of having to lightly bend the mirror before fitting. Not too unhappy with it, but it won't make it onto the layout  - I'm notoriously ham-fisted with fiddly things (it's quite tiny), I just wanted to see if I could do it.

post-17811-0-73002200-1415871893.jpg

post-17811-0-70685400-1415871894.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I've finally settled on the road layout for the station forecourt. This was a pain because there's a railway line running right through the middle of everything! Having messed about with everything from Wills paving to Scalescenes sheets, I've finally just laid 2mm Evergreen styrene strip to form the kerbs and skimmed household filler mixed with black paint between the raised kerbs to form the pavement area. As the filler is around 2mm deep, this will take a few days to dry... it can then be sanded down, "repair" patches masked and sprayed and road markings added. A total mess at the moment, so a complete waste of time taking any pictures!

Waiting for filler to dry is boring to say the least, so I decided to see if I could make one of those NSE D.O.O. mirrors that were mentioned earlier. I had a look at the 3D printed ones that are available but they do seem a little rough around the edges, I assume you can lightly sand a 3D printed item? I genuinely have no idea...

All I did was make up a little template, transfer the flattened 3D design to the thinnest plastic sheet I had, cut it out and then fold it up. It's fragile to say the least but the Halfords red oxide primer makes a passable attempt at faded Network SouthEast red! It's a bit rough round the edges and the tinfoil-covered thin card for the mirror surface has some creases which look like cracks. Not too unhappy with it, but it won't make it onto the layout  - I just wanted to see if it could be done.

attachicon.gifmanorroad_030.jpg

attachicon.gifmanorroad_031.jpg

That mirror lloks very good.

Ian