Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hinton Ampner

emt_911

After my little trip to Bramdean and the surrounding area yesterday, I've sorted out some of the photos.

Firstly some general landscape ones

post-6953-0-30677700-1432237332_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-94664100-1432237346_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-49410000-1432237365_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-38138900-1432237379_thumb.jpg

I'd forgotten how hilly the area was so I'm going to have to give this some thought.

• Like 12

Secondly, some building ideas from the area

post-6953-0-30241200-1432237530_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-20506700-1432237550_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-13860800-1432237570_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to get down that way again soon to get more photos of buildings to give a better idea of sizes and materials.

There's also a chance of at least constructing the test plank over the next week or so

• Like 15

Hi Duncan, some nice shots mate, The West Meon Hut used to be a Favourite for Food, but the last time I went there, about 10 years ago, it wasn't as good as it used to be.

Still a nice area though.

Hi Duncan, some nice shots mate, The West Meon Hut used to be a Favourite for Food, but the last time I went there, about 10 years ago, it wasn't as good as it used to be.

Still a nice area though.

Thanks Andy. Totally agree with you about the area. It looks like I might have a couple of days next week when I can explore the area further and get some more detailed shots

• Like 5

Van fuelled, camera ready including spare battery, list of traders, purchases and layouts printed ready for Railex tomorrow.  :sungum:  The only thing I have to find now is my wallet. It was last seen running away. :jester:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Van fuelled, camera ready including spare battery, list of traders, purchases and layouts printed ready for Railex tomorrow.  :sungum:  The only thing I have to find now is my wallet. It was last seen running away. :jester:

Duncan,

Have a good time tomorrow.  Hope you get lots of ideas.

Evening Chris. I think I've now got to the point where ideas are small details. My biggest problem is the potential damage to my wallet. As you know from last weekend some of it is already allocated and there are now more things on the shopping list

• Like 1

An excellent day at Railex. The standard of every layout was exceptional.

Met Jason and had some long conversations and my wallet is now in hiding.

I also saw BCB in the flesh for the first time. To be honest the photos don't do it justice.

Lots of photos taken, some of which I'll post on here and the relevant threads when I've had chance to sort through them.

I also had a chat with several members of the BCB crew and came away with solutions to some of the ideas I've had about adding some height to HA.

• Like 8

This is going to take a couple of days to sort through the photos from Railex.

First batch Harton Gill. An amazing level of detail has gone into this

post-6953-0-35373000-1432498779_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-88819000-1432498793_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-13240800-1432498813_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-58857800-1432498827_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-13604800-1432498847_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-55613600-1432498861_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-24349900-1432498878_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-51267600-1432498893_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Hi Duncan,

Looking great!

Just an idea for the military area, maybe an Airfix ME109 or a Junkers 88 that has been shot down and is being dissasembled, with various damaged parts, and maybe a shot down Spitfire that is being repaired. While the Airfix kits are 1:72, I have found they are good matches for OO. Even though it isnt my era/region, I can't wait to see some baseboards constructed and some track down. Personally I think that handlaid track looks a lot better than Peco, with over 18 metres of track to lay on Dunoon, 2 3 way turnouts, 2 double slips and a whole ton more of standard points I just do not have the time, especially as modeling time per week comes to half saturday half sunday and an hour each evening. Therefore I am using Peco code 75 all the way through the layout. So far in 3 weeks I have gone from a soft copy track plan to track down and wiring started. I think that it is great that you are scratchbuilding the buildings, however I would reccomend not trying to go to far, start with smaller items such as lineside huts or coal staithes, as it is very easy to get carried away.

Look forward to seeing more progress.

Peter

Edited by 60012 Commonwealth of Australia
  • Like 3

Hi Peter and thanks for the input. The base boards are going to be built in the next few weeks after the test plank. There are a few cameo ideas that I'm working on but these will come later as I want to achieve the less is more type layout.

Duncan

• Like 5

Thanks Shaun. I'm going to put some of the ideas gained from Railex into the test plank. I'm hoping to start on Thursday after another site visit for loads more photos.

• Like 4

OK, back to some modelling.

At the moment I'm waiting for the bogies for 2 warflats purchased at Railex.

I had a spare hour tonight so I've done some test ballasting rather than do it the first time on the layout proper. Photos tomorrow when it's dried no matter how it turns out.

I should be collecting some ply tomorrow for the base boards as long as work doesn't take too long.

• Like 7

Looking god Duncan, don't forget to paint it first as its easier that way.

Thanks Andy. This one is just for getting the ballasting right so I'm not too worried about the track.

Next up is a test scenic plank for points, track weathering, wiring and an idea to add some height to the terrain. I don't know if it's going to all work but there's only one way to find out

• Like 3

Thanks Andy. This one is just for getting the ballasting right so I'm not too worried about the track.

Next up is a test scenic plank for points, track weathering, wiring and an idea to add some height to the terrain. I don't know if it's going to all work but there's only one way to find out

Good Man, practice makes perfect, just enjoy it.