Hinton Ampner

emt_911

Concept

Hinton Ampner will be a 1942 - 44 fictitious layout based in the Southern England between Winchester and Petersfield.

The main part will be a military camp of mainly armoured vehicles including loading onto period warflats. There will also be a local station for the village which will provide interest.

Motive power will be period SR locos and this period allows for a variety of rolling stock from all regions.

The remainder will be part of a village including cottages and a garage converted for use by the National Fire Service.

Layout

The layout will be on modular boards with a total length of 12 feet and 30 inches wide. The track plan is still in the design stage as I have realised that several factors weren't properly considered. This includes the less is more concept.

Track

I'm still to decide on which track type I will be using, cost being the main factor.

Buildings

These will either be scratch built or heavily modified kits.

Control

DCC

Other

I'm hoping to finalise the track plan over the weekend.

Edited by emt_911
  • Like 10

Afternoon Duncan, I've just Google earthed the cross roads I used to turn down to get to the Watercress Line off the A272, and there are some nice old cottages around there, some very Tudor and some white faced and Thatched.

Its a nice area so you should be able to do a nice model from what you have, and the stock sounds good.

The only thing I would say is that its Southern England, not South East, but Hey Ho, Rule 1, its your layout.

ENJOY.

Edited by Andrew P

Afternoon John

The more people contributing means that it should turn out to be quite decent.

There are areas where I haven't got a clue such as signalling but that should be minimal anyway (if I'm right). I could however be proved wrong.

Duncan

• Like 1

Andy

You are quite correct and it has been edited.

I have travelled the area (many years ago) and also googled some images of the area. I think I may have a few building finding their way to the bin before I get where I want to with them.

Duncan

GJ

Thanks for that. I seem to have been trying to go too modern for my real interests. I had a good look around and found that the majority of layouts were either up to the mid thirties or 1948 onwards. I suppose that this helped me decide to combine all of my interests.

It will however have to be modular as the space I have isn't adequate.

Duncan

• Like 1

Okay. The track plan version 3. The first 2 didn't work at all. Pull it apart guys. All suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Colour code

Orange - Fence

Purple - Station

Blue - Water Tower ? Not sure about this one

Black - Coal Staithes

Yellow - Tank Loading Ramp

Green - Engine Shed

Red - Old Garage now Fire Station

Brown - Cottages

Grey - Road

Pink - Bridge (Scenic break)

Light Blue - Tunnel (Scenic Break)

post-6953-0-27400800-1411748874_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Lee, you asked for us to pull it about, well the Engine Shed is RED not Green.

And I would be tempted to make the run round loop as long as you can, you may not need a long one now, (Ohh Mother!) but you may one day and it would look more prototypical as well IMHO.

Edited by Andrew P

Thanks Andy

Doh!!!! Editing error when using Paint. I don't use it that much and should have checked the colours.

I see what you mean about the run round loop. I'll start a list of alterations and do a few at a time.

Duncan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan, am liking this concept very much, have always liked military models!

One of the dilemmas encountered with my layouts has been that I wished the operating side faced the front of the station and not the back.

I take it this is to be a through station in which case a gentile S curve from bottom left to top right and station at left with sidings on right, the village would then become a backdrop and as a bonus could loose the facing points with this arrangement.

With a little thought and careful track alignment the whole thing could be flipped around when ever you feel like a change.

Shaun. Am starting a new build too pretty soon here, the track arrived today!

Shaun

The orientation is something that I've grappled with on this one.

Whilst I agree with you about having the village as the backdrop, I feel that it would limit the other areas that I'm trying to display as well.

However, I haven't decided yet which is going to be the operating side. With some careful planning it could be both.

I'm also looking forward to your new build especially with the attention to detail.

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

All the best with this.  I have several questions which I will ask ignoring the fact that I have just been told that there are two posts before this one that I have not read.

Is this the full length of the layout and where will the module breaks be?  Not under points I hope.

Is it a double track main line and if so then I would have thought there would have been two platforms.  If not is it and extended loop in its own right but joins off scene?

I agree with Andy in that the run round loop ought to be longer and be able to accommodate the length of train that fits the sidings including the engine.

At present you will have to draw the train out of the siding onto the main line and then back it into where the loop is, something that I am not sure is prototypical, although I may be wrong.  I would prefer to draw the train out and for it then to be in the loop so that the engine will be able just to run round, or vice versa.

I think you need a signal box.

The facilities for the shed are fine.

Should there be more sidings?  I suppose it depends on how big the camp is.

Last and by all means least, as my son who is an avid wargammer asked me, or rather stated, 'I assume all the buildings will have their roofs able to come off so that they can be used as firing platforms for the troops.'  :jester:

Although the motive power will be mainly Southern I think that there could well be interlopers from other companies depending on where the train started out and when they had to change engines.

• Like 2

Evening Chris

I'll cover these one at a time so that neither of us (especially me) are confused

This is the planned full length of the layout but I am considering another 4 feet. The module lengths are planned to be 4 feet. If any interfere with points there may be some slight modifications to the track plan.

The theory is that the main track is an extended loop. However, if I can extend another 4 feet (as above) then the join will be on scene.

The run round loop is going to be extended.

Having looked at the plan again, you are absolutely correct about drawing the train into the loop. Another change for the list.

A signal box would be a good idea. Again added to the list.

Once the boards are constructed I will have a better idea of whether I can add more sidings without compromising the rest of the scene.

The roofs may be removable but only for detailing to be seen.

Motive power will be mainly southern but there are a couple of interlopers planned.

Hope that answers all of the points (no pun intended)

Duncan

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

Thank you for the answers.  Another question, if the main line is an extended loop, why is it there?  Will it hold trains waiting to be loaded, will it have its own loading facility?  It is not wrong but you need to know the answer for when someone asks.  The Cambrian did this all the time and had long thin stations.  Sometimes it was for other lines to come off, others for loading facilities and sometimes it seems just as extra long run round loops.  I have really only studied Cambrian layouts and not Southern ones.

As t roofs, well, fortunately my son is getting married next year so coming down to hijack my layout to fight Warhammer or Napoleonic campaigns may not happen, although I would not bet on it.

All he best.

• RMweb Premium

There's also Peter Goss's layout named Rowlands Castle, which has been on the exhibition circuit for several years, based on the station and village of the same name in Hampshire, set during World War 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oXImwQcOuk

I've seen his layout two or three times now and could be inspiration for what you want to design for Hinton Ampner.

Morning Duncan, some pics I took of the area your modeling,

firstly Ayrelsford Church.

post-9335-0-78417400-1411802855_thumb.jpg

And a couple of pics from Cheriton that may help.

post-9335-0-49549400-1411802909_thumb.jpgpost-9335-0-55532300-1411802973_thumb.jpg

A few from East Meon.

post-9335-0-46865400-1411803063_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-72613400-1411803109_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-99696900-1411803136_thumb.jpg

And lastly a couple from the real Rowlands Castle mentioned in an earlier post, it was about 3 miles from our home when we lived down south.

post-9335-0-57666100-1411803258_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-67580600-1411803296_thumb.jpg

All the villages in the area are very pretty and well worth modelling. I was tempted to do the Meon Valley Line a few years ago.

I hope these will give you some inspiration mate.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

To be honest Chris, I don't know the answer to this one but I have seen photos for this period of this sort of arrangement.

Duncan

Duncan,

That is good.  If it is prototypical you will find the answer and no ne can say it should not be there.  I am sure someone on here will know without having to look it up.

• Like 1

Morning Duncan, some pics I took of the area your modeling,

firstly Ayrelsford Church.

attachicon.gifHAMPSHIRE AYRELSFORD ST Johns Parish Church 2.JPG

And a couple of pics from Cheriton that may help.

attachicon.gifHAMPSHIRE Cheriton 2.JPGattachicon.gifHampshire Cheriton Church d.JPG

A few from East Meon.

attachicon.gifHAMPSHIRE East Meon 1.JPG

attachicon.gifHAMPSHIRE East Meon Church 1.JPG

attachicon.gifHAMPSHIRE East Meon the Church 2.JPG

And lastly a couple from the real Rowlands Castle mentioned in an earlier post, it was about 3 miles from our home when we lived down south.

attachicon.gifhampshire rolands castle 2.JPG

attachicon.gifhampshire rolands castle 4.JPG

All the villages in the area are very pretty and well worth modelling. I was tempted to do the Meon Valley Line a few years ago.

I hope these will give you some inspiration mate.

Andy,

Those photographs were obviously taken by someone with a modellers eye for landscape and I'm sure they'll give Duncan a 'feel' for the area he has chosen to model - well done mate.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

There's also Peter Goss's layout named Rowlands Castle, which has been on the exhibition circuit for several years, based on the station and village of the same name in Hampshire, set during World War 2

I've seen his layout two or three times now and could be inspiration for what you want to design for Hinton Ampner.

Morning

I've seen Peter Goss's layout on the web and youtube several times which has provided me with inspiration and quite a few ideas.

Duncan