Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Wishlist Poll 2014

BMacdermott

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian

Glad you liked The Poll and thanks for taking the trouble to write.

The 'Welsh' locos (viz TVR A 0-6-2T, Cambrian 89 0-6-0, Rhymney R1 0-6-2T, Cardiff Kitson 0-4-0ST, Port Talbot No.26 0-6-0ST, TVR H 0-6-0T) were all listed despite all being in the bottom 40 of previous polls. If we had deleted them, the GWR list would have looked decidedly short and biased compared to others.

As noted, we are always open to suggestions. If you let me know what stock you would like considered, please let me know. It will go on the 2015 Agenda.

Regards

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

I think if the poll is to really appeal to the respect of a wider audience, then some improvements to its interface will be needed. We here are pretty happy with it as the basic functional poll that it is, but things like the report of what a person voted for need to be tidied up so that only the selections the voter chose are visible. The more polished and clean the presentation, the more likely positive word-of-mouth will spread.

Hello Ian

Thanks for writing. The subject has already gone onto the 2015 Agenda.

• RMweb Gold

I demurred from printing my selection as soon as I realised I would get 16 pages - bit of a waste of paper as on some of them I had only selected one item.  So I saved my results as a webfile - I'm not sure how long it might last once Andy starts doing his necromancy with the results but it is definitely still there at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

I demurred from printing my selection as soon as I realised I would get 16 pages - bit of a waste of paper as on some of them I had only selected one item.  So I saved my results as a webfile - I'm not sure how long it might last once Andy starts doing his necromancy with the results but it is definitely still there at the moment.

Hello Mike 

One way people might like to consider this year is:

1. Go into The Guide (on the front page when you have clicked on the banner headline link);

2. Select a category you wish to vote in;

3. Click into it, highlight the summary at the top and save that to a file;

4. Print that off and tick the ones you want to vote for;

5. Continue to the voting section when you are ready.

Of course, that only saves paper if you are voting in 15 or fewer categories - but it may help. And it might mean that you actually vote for everything you intended to vote for, as it will act as 'a pre-planner'.

Another way is that I can send you a Word file of what categories you want and compress those onto as few A4 pages as poss.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team). (thepollteam@gmail.com)

Why not "print" it as a PDF file and keep it on your HD? . . . would help save some trees and all that expensive ink!

• RMweb Premium

Because it won't save or 'print' as PDF.

In which case, you probably need a PDF 'printer'. I have the official Adobe one via an Acrobat install, but there are others. I've used Bullzip in the past (and still do on one incarnation of Windows XP that I need to keep going): http://www.bullzip.com (which I think is the official page).

Because it won't save or 'print' as PDF.

What OS are you using? "Prints" to PDF fine for me on Mac and Win7 . . .

1   Print to PDF is built-in on a Mac.

2   This: http://www.howtogeek.com/150891/how-to-print-to-pdf-in-windows-4-tips-and-tricks/

is the trick with Windows if you do not have Acrobat installed.

• RMweb Gold

What OS are you using? "Prints" to PDF fine for me on Mac and Win7 . . .

1   Print to PDF is built-in on a Mac.

2   This: http://www.howtogeek.com/150891/how-to-print-to-pdf-in-windows-4-tips-and-tricks/

is the trick with Windows if you do not have Acrobat installed.

Ah, right - so doing 'Print as PDF' simply saves it as PDF, we live and learn.

Thanks for putting the "Poll" on again. I voted and found it very easy, but noticed some omissions which I would have liked to vote for. While I realize the impracticality of listing every single British loco ever produced I would have liked to see the following added , perhaps for next years poll.

Adams T3 4-4-0  One exists in the National Collection

Adams A12 Jubilee  4-2-0

Drummond  T14  Paddlebox  4-6-0   Some of these made it into BR stock, just.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I've voted this year (unlike previously) as the format seemed easier to understand with some sensible 'merging' - the DMU combinations making sense to perhaps encourage broader coverage. I am not a 'frother' by nature & sadly if all my wishes came true I probably could not afford to buy them together!  :scratchhead:

I notice you avoided the contentious 'better 00 track' subject, which is probably just as well.... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for putting the "Poll" on again. I voted and found it very easy, but noticed some omissions which I would have liked to vote for. While I realize the impracticality of listing every single British loco ever produced I would have liked to see the following added , perhaps for next years poll.

Adams T3 4-4-0  One exists in the National Collection

Adams A12 Jubilee  4-2-0

Drummond  T14  Paddlebox  4-6-0   Some of these made it into BR stock, just.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris

I'll get those put on the 2015 Agenda for you but - as you note - it is impractical for us to list every known loco. 

(Incidentally, my wife and I stayed at Sudbury in 2006 during a road trip across Canada and USA. Sudbury was a good stop off between Ottawa and Sault Ste Marie for us.)

• RMweb Gold

I've voted this year (unlike previously) as the format seemed easier to understand with some sensible 'merging' - the DMU combinations making sense to perhaps encourage broader coverage. I am not a 'frother' by nature & sadly if all my wishes came true I probably could not afford to buy them together!  :scratchhead:

I notice you avoided the contentious 'better 00 track' subject, which is probably just as well.... ;)

Thanks for the kind comments, Rich - much appreciated.

We do try hard to make things comprehensive but within the minimum number of listings. That is why we urge pollsters to check The Guide. The issue raised by an earlier correspondent about why we hadn't specifically listed (in his case) a BR diagram Plate Wagon is one that we grapple with annually! We try to list something of everything that the greater majority of modellers would probably like to have, matched with how we think a maker might approach a subject (based on past records).

We took out track as it is very complex. That is borne out by the thread that Joseph Pestell has been running.

I note that the Guide contains links to various "prototype" and photographic site for each entry. Could not links to the various kit manufacturers be added so that, in the event that someone desperately needs a particular model (as often seems the case when the results are  published and discussed) which doesn't get onto a manufacturers' to do list in the next couple of years, they could build one themselves.

• RMweb Premium

It's an interesting poll this year for us that model Scottish railways, although it is nice to see a long list of Caley locos, the fact that there are no G&SWR locos and only HR 103 is a tad strange. The HR locos themselves are a very attractive bunch, who could not fall in love with the Crewe front ends of a Duke or a Strath? Also the chassis once made would be able to be used for most of the 4-4-0 Hr tender locos. The larger 4-6-0 HR locos are another attractive bunch too......

This seems even more strange when you look at the Welsh classes that have appeared in the list under the GW area....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian

It could well be me being thick ( :yes:) but I couldn't see anywhere to save what I had voted for except printing it. As I only voted in a few areas and for a few items, printing pages of nothingness was advoided. :dontknow:

3 days later I haven't a clue what I voted for. :scratchhead: Can I have another go please.  :) 

• RMweb Gold

I note that the Guide contains links to various "prototype" and photographic site for each entry. Could not links to the various kit manufacturers be added so that, in the event that someone desperately needs a particular model (as often seems the case when the results are  published and discussed) which doesn't get onto a manufacturers' to do list in the next couple of years, they could build one themselves.

Hello LNWR

This is the first year we have added 'links' and will do our best to respond to your comments. You will find that many do actually have links to the makers - but we have to take into account whether too many will raise the cry of 'too much info'. We felt a general maximum of two links per item was about right (in case one 'failed'). 

In previous years, we had a list of websites, but decided to do away with that and include links as needed.

If you would like to suggest what we have missed (possibly via email to The Poll Team please) we'll see what we can do.

• RMweb Gold

It's an interesting poll this year for us that model Scottish railways, although it is nice to see a long list of Caley locos, the fact that there are no G&SWR locos and only HR 103 is a tad strange. The HR locos themselves are a very attractive bunch, who could not fall in love with the Crewe front ends of a Duke or a Strath? Also the chassis once made would be able to be used for most of the 4-4-0 Hr tender locos. The larger 4-6-0 HR locos are another attractive bunch too......

This seems even more strange when you look at the Welsh classes that have appeared in the list under the GW area....

Andy G

Hello Andy G

You are more than welcome to send us your suggestions for inclusion in the 2015 Agenda. Please bear in mind, though, that many locos were taken out in previous years due to extremely low votes. The more items that go in, the more difficult it all becomes.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

It could well be me being thick ( :yes:) but I couldn't see anywhere to save what I had voted for except printing it. As I only voted in a few areas and for a few items, printing pages of nothingness was advoided. :dontknow:

3 days later I haven't a clue what I voted for. :scratchhead: Can I have another go please.  :)

Hello Clive

Please see below (from the Q&A on page 1 of this thread).

What if voters have any technical difficulties while voting?

Please email Andy York: info@rmweb.co.uk.

• RMweb Premium

Great looking survey, thanks to the chaps behind this for doing it again this year.

I notice in the supplementary 'Guide' PDFs there are helpful notes around available kits and printed sides for some of the rolling stock, such as the EMUs.

It may have been overlooked but I produce a range of 4mm-scale resin cabs and key components for the 'Electrostar' Classes 375 / 377 / 379 available via eBay. Not an advertising post as such but just for the sake of balance compared to some of the other cottage-industry products listed on "The Guide" - even if we don't get an Electrostar in RTR then there's still hope! :)

Many thanks,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hello James

Thank you for the kind comments. They help make it all worthwhile for us!

Please accept our apologies for the oversight. We do our best to list as many 'small suppliers' as possible and will ensure you are in next year.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian

Glad you liked The Poll and thanks for taking the trouble to write.

The 'Welsh' locos (viz TVR A 0-6-2T, Cambrian 89 0-6-0, Rhymney R1 0-6-2T, Cardiff Kitson 0-4-0ST, Port Talbot No.26 0-6-0ST, TVR H 0-6-0T) were all listed despite all being in the bottom 40 of previous polls. If we had deleted them, the GWR list would have looked decidedly short and biased compared to others.

As noted, we are always open to suggestions. If you let me know what stock you would like considered, please let me know. It will go on the 2015 Agenda.

Regards

Hi Brian,

As far as 'Welsh' rolling stock, then Craven stock for (ex) TVR, and Gloucester C&W for (ex) Rhymney Railway. Both styles lasted well into the 1950's.

I know London Road Models do a fine example of the TV stock, but as always, such quality comes at a price, which sometimes excludes the more 'mainstream' modeller, even those who like the 'niche element'.

Kickstarter would seem the way forward.....

Regards,

Ian.

Having skimmed through the guide and thought I knew what was coming, I was caught out by the "industrial locos" section.  Having passed over that section as too generic, I went back to the guide to see a few specifics, only to find that it too is very generic.  Ok, I understand what it is hoped to achieve; but while it might be useful to capture votes for o/c 0-4-0STs, the differences between and within builders' designs does dilute the qualitative conclusions that may be drawn.  It could be argued that diesels had a greater degree of standardisation and inclusion of, perhaps, some of the more widespread Ruston & Hornsby types might be more indicative.  As a new section on the wishlist, perhaps further discussion is needed to refine the selection presented?

I welcome the emergence of models of industrial locomotives based on real prototypes, as opposed to the "anything goes" approach of former times.

Please note that, even given the broad categories, 0-4-0T/0-4-0STs with inside cylinders (beloved of the low-end RTR ranges) were not that common in real life.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Eddie

Many thanks for the comments.

In a number of places we advise pollsters to read The Guide first as it will help to explain how and why certain things are listed the way they are. Model railways are not 'an exact science'.

We have received numerous requests over the years to include Industrial (and Underground) and we have responded with both this year to 'test the water'. From what we have seen in the past, any discussion on what would be a popular industrial type has failed to achieve any real conclusion. The subject is such a vast one!

We worked hard with the Modelling Officer of the Industrial Railway Society over several months and several drafts looking at what to list and how to list it. In the end, we settled for this generic approach to see if any one type emerges as more popular. It would then be a matter for someone else - maybe the IRS? - to take that forward and list all the types within that genre.

However, Eddie, we are always open to constructive suggestion. If you can show us a list that will meet the needs of the greater majority of industrial modellers and be succinct, we'll gladly have a look. We think anything comprehensive would be at least 300 items long - that's roughly half the content of the 00 Poll overall. 

Hi Brian,

As far as 'Welsh' rolling stock, then Craven stock for (ex) TVR, and Gloucester C&W for (ex) Rhymney Railway. Both styles lasted well into the 1950's.

I know London Road Models do a fine example of the TV stock, but as always, such quality comes at a price, which sometimes excludes the more 'mainstream' modeller, even those who like the 'niche element'.

Kickstarter would seem the way forward.....

Regards,

Ian.

Ian,

LRM TVR carriage kits £38, the new Bachmann SECR Birdcage stock £42.50 (pre order price, could go up) from the Scouse Warehouse. The Bachmann Inspection saloon listed at £50.96 from two online retailers (they were on sale at £56 at Scaleforum). And most buyers will want the RTR stuff to be accurate and comparable with a well detailed model from a kit.

So it appears that new carriage releases are moving up in price considerably. While a kit needs building and painting (plus variables like wheels to suit a specific gauge and couplings) the difference might not be so great in future. It also depends on how much you really want a specific model, badly enough to get on and create it or just badly enough to pound the keyboard on wish list threads and polls so someone in China will make it for you.

Jol

Archived