Class 76 E26034 in the early 1970s

Russell Saxton

• RMweb Premium

Slide on eBay, says 1973:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-RAIL-CLASS-76-ELECTRIC-LOCO-E26034-COLOUR-SLIDE-158-/321444341782?nma=true&si=Qh90RTtJdZtgxVRKeOdU%252F6eqYM4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Hard to tell, but doesn't seem to have arrows.

Corporate style E-number

Were any 76s GFYE?

Possibly blue with crests?

Flickr pic from 1969 says it was in green:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/12974635903

This is what set it off. Ron Halestrap discovered this shot and we think it may be GFYE in TOPS which if so is a hell of a revelation.

At least three were GFYE,  E26008/31/4, E26031 was scrapped like it and both the others went blue but when? 76034 GFYE-could be...

If it's true Ron may have uncovered the livery find of the decade.

• RMweb Gold

This is what set it off. Ron Halestrap discovered this shot and we think it may be GFYE in TOPS which if so is a hell of a revelation.

At least three were GFYE,  E26008/31/4, E26031 was scrapped like it and both the others went blue but when? 76034 GFYE-could be...

If it's true Ron may have uncovered the livery find of the decade.

Which shot?, you've got me all of a dither Russell!

Mike.

Quite a few of the Class 76s were painted 'Reddish Blue' which looked deeper than BR Blue, possibly they did not use the Grey Primer that Crewe works did on there repaints. They had E26XXX numbers and a Br Lion & wheel crest, not applied but carefully painted round by the Reddish painter.

The shot by Stephen Dowle dated 11 June 1975 is the earliest I've seen, with the loco in standard BFYE and Arrows This would suggest it ran until early 1975 in its previous livery. The Woodhead was a well-photographed route, so there MUST be something out there to show the actual colour of the thing. I have now, about half a dozen shots of it with FYE, but NONE of them, could you hang your coat on and say for certain, whether it was green or blue. Need a good sunny shot of it....

Keefer - 76022 went to the scrappers in blue, with L&W emblem after withdrawal in 1981. The very last loco in capital stock to carry GENUINE 1960s non-corporate livery.

Cheers, Ron H.

• RMweb Gold

Have been looking thorugh our archive and have not arrived at any conclusions either way on this one yet.

Kevin

Ironically Olivia's Trains have used a shot of recently painted 76034 on their publicity material for their model which is of course in blue.

The end of the headshunt at Wath always seemed to be the reception spot for any ex works Class 76s. As such being the first thing or the last thing any visitors saw upon visiting Wath shed with their cameras to hand, hence so many shots of Wath are from the road overbridge and or the ash path towards the shed on the lines of Class 76s by the bufferstop here. Having looked through many hundreds of views here I cannot find any hints of 76034 in green or in any other form to see when it was repainted into blue. In fact it seems to be one of the more camera shy members of the class if anything. I have also checked through other likely locations like Guide Bridge, Reddish, Crewe Works, Doncaster Works etc to no avail. So for the moment I have nothing else to go with on this subject.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Having trawled my spotting books, I can muddy the waters with the following;

26034 seen at Reddish on 15.10.72.

26034 seen at Rotherwood on 21.10.72.

76034 seen at Wath shed on 19.2.73.

Now, back in the day I used to note whether locos were green or blue, except in the case of a class which was entirely blue, I haven't noted colours on those days, so therefore to postulate my theory, the loco was blue on all 3 occasions.

Also, the renumbering could have been done during a works visit, but quoting from the Book Law "bible", the loco didn't enter works until 7.10.73, so was probably a depot renumbering, more than likely just having a 7 replacing the 2, not a full renumber.

Now the interesting bit, from the same book, the loco entered Crewe works on 26.4.66 and was painted blue, the picture in the book shows the loco at Wath on 1.5.66 with, I quote "the Crewe version of blue livery", showing small yellow warning panels. This is the same shade as 76022 with L & W emblem, so when full yellow panels were applied any photo's would perhaps show a somewhat indistiguishable body colour.

So when I saw the loco it would be in "Crewe blue", but regrettably I didn't note, nor do I remember what yellow panel it had then!

Mike.

Slide on eBay, says 1973:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-RAIL-CLASS-76-ELECTRIC-LOCO-E26034-COLOUR-SLIDE-158-/321444341782?nma=true&si=Qh90RTtJdZtgxVRKeOdU%252F6eqYM4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Hard to tell, but doesn't seem to have arrows.

Corporate style E-number

Were any 76s GFYE?

Possibly blue with crests?

Flickr pic from 1969 says it was in green:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/12974635903

Here's E26031 in GFYE....

post-7428-0-36565500-1412883230_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Ron.

Archived