Hornby Streamlined Duchess - what improvements can be made?

After a good search of the archives, and not finding anything (so apologies if I've missed anything) I've been wondering what, if anything can be done to the streamlined Duchess to produce a better looking model.

I've got the initial issue of 6225 and impressive a loco as it is, I'd like to tweak it if possible. Things like winged lamps would help I suspect, if anyone produces such a thing. Is it worth replacing the bogie wheels with Gibson ones?

I intend to paint the wheel rims to represent the polished appearance of the real ones (not the reads of course though!)

Any suggestions will be greatly received, along with any examples that people have done already.

Cheers

J

Yes. 3', 9-spk bevel.

Of course, you could always put it on a Comet P4 chassis, with Ultrascales throughout...if you felt like pushing the boat out....

Thanks for that, a P4 chassis might cause quite a bit of unnecessary noise on my sleepers!

A Comet bogie chassis would improve the front end as well I suspect...

Cheers

J

The appearance of the model benefits greatly from closing up loco and tender to as close as you can get to scale separation (whatever the smallest radius curve on your layout permits) and adding a fall plate from cab to tender step. If it is early enough to have the bouncy spring link between loco and tender, best to arrange a new drawbar so that everything moves as one.

• RMweb Gold

Yes. 3', 9-spk bevel.

Of course, you could always put it on a Comet P4 chassis, with Ultrascales throughout...if you felt like pushing the boat out....

I visited a signalbox one day to find the Signalman doing more or less exactly that - not sure what wheels he was using but he had a Portescap motor in the chassis; he was making a nice job of it too.  (and just to make it complete it was a 'box which in past times had occasionally seen the real thing passing on running-in turns)

Thanks for the ideas thus far, all of which will be taken on board (bogie wheels and frames will come back with me from Warley all being well!) The tender gap is something I will have a look at in the mean time.

Next time I go to the NRM I'll get some more reference shots of 6229 especially the cab interior so I can add a bit of colour in there too.

Etched nameplates are a must, I was looking at the 247 website and they list several versions, in both bass and steel, and Hornby and scale size. Hopefully the scale sized ones will not be too different to the printed ones, as I will probably go for those in stainless steel.

Cheers

J

Well I've had a little play with some Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey on the wheel rims and bosses, with a dot of black in the centre to represent the hollow axles.

The front bogie is just a temporary tweak as it will be getting replaced at the end on November!

post-7895-0-03690600-1412196768_thumb.jpg

Cheers

J

Didn't these have the streamlining removed as the shed crews found them almost impossible to maintain with all the streamlining in place.

More difficult rather than almost impossible.  6225 entered traffic 11 May 1938 and had her streamlining removed 24 May 1947.  In the meantime she had a double chimney fitted January 1943 and was repainted in the wartime black livery August 1944.

• RMweb Gold

Didn't these have the streamlining removed as the shed crews found them almost impossible to maintain with all the streamlining in place.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that they had to have smoke deflectors fitted so that the crews could see.

Those built without streamlined casing had deflectors fitted after 6234 was involved in a fatal accident due ,it was felt,to exhaust drifting to cause impairment of visibility for the crew.

Well I've had a little play with some Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey on the wheel rims and bosses, with a dot of black in the centre to represent the hollow axles.

The front bogie is just a temporary tweak as it will be getting replaced at the end on November!

It looks very good.  The inside surface of the wheel rim (the one facing the spokes) should be polished steel, I'm less certain about the front face of the wheel though.  Unless you're planning to weather her, you may want to paint the coupling rods as well.

Once in service the rim fronts darkened from the off, possibly painted black.  However, the inside surface remained as highly polished steel for quite a while.  The cab roof between the rainstrips and the matching section of the front cowl on the tender were black, although it's not clear whether this was through painting or simply accumulated dirt (and a clear policy of not cleaning that particular area).

Hornby have the front coupling hook wrong, it was recessed into the main casing.

There's a good photo of 6225 shortly after she entered service on page 119 of Volume 11 in the LMS Locomotive Profiles series - which is a recommended purchase if you're wanting to super-detail your model.

The NRM have a picture http://nationalrailwaymuseum.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/540489-duchess-of-gloucester.png which shows very clearly how the inside edge of the wheel rims were still highly polished (and also the recessed front coupling hook).

There's a very clear photo of 6247 City of Liverpool as outshopped on page 140 of the Locomotive Profile book which shows that the rims of the later locos were darkened from new (but that the inner surface was shiny).  Whether 6225 had polished rims when built isn't clear.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new bogie fitted, the Hornby one is an aesthetic disaster.

I travelled behind these several times when I was young and they looked absolutely magnificent, particularly the blue Coronation Scot with the coaches finished to match.

Archived