Scratch building stairs

Plastruct do stairs http://www.ema-models.co.uk/index.php/plastruct-fineline-styrene/stairs-ladders-rails.html, but they may not match the width, rise, etc. that you want.

For a covered footbridge I needed, I designed a number of laser cut parts including "saw tooth" stringers to hold the steps and risers. You could make the same by aligning and gluing bits of strip to sheet to make the walls and support the steps.

Yes it is 4mm scale. Should have added that. As for the plasticard stairs in HO I order some of the web with a load of wire I was ordering and they are tiny. Tested it against a airfix 1:72 scale RAF ground crew figure and they are quite a bit off. Like the idea of a jig and building them. The other option I have seen used is the escalators that are avaliable but I have not been to many stations that have them. The research shall continue!

Guest Lyonesse

Yes it is 4mm scale. Should have added that. As for the plasticard stairs in HO I order some of the web with a load of wire I was ordering and they are tiny. Tested it against a airfix 1:72 scale RAF ground crew figure and they are quite a bit off. Like the idea of a jig and building them. The other option I have seen used is the escalators that are avaliable but I have not been to many stations that have them. The research shall continue!

The Airfix range was intended for children and the scale can be a bit variable.  I measured up the "1:72" Airfix half track and 88mm gun that my son constructed and found it was actually 1:64 (S scale!).  Figures seem to have been made bigger to enhance play value or shrunk to fit easily in model vehicles.   Just sayin...

• RMweb Premium

I'm building a covered stair well to connect my platforms to the station but can not find any stairs to put in it. Was wondering if anyone on here could point me in the direction of some plasticard stairs or the best way to make some.

Hope this helpful

post-16423-0-62113900-1412325831_thumb.png

The Airfix range was intended for children and the scale can be a bit variable.  I measured up the "1:72" Airfix half track and 88mm gun that my son constructed and found it was actually 1:64 (S scale!).  Figures seem to have been made bigger to enhance play value or shrunk to fit easily in model vehicles.   Just sayin...

Having been a wargamer/military modeller for 40+ years I have never heard this about the 1/76th Sd7 and 8.8cm Flak 18 as produced by Airfix. Many modellers have used the Sd7 gun tractor as a basis of the numerous self-propelled guns on this chassis and I am sure that someone in that time would have said "E up lads it ain't right". Miss Rivette Counteer has many more relations in military modelling than in railway modelling.

The Revell 1/72 model makes a lovely wargames Sd8 in 1/76 as it is much bigger.

Guest Lyonesse

Hope this helpful

attachicon.gifMaking steps.png

Having been a wargamer/military modeller for 40+ years I have never heard this about the 1/76th Sd7 and 8.8cm Flak 18 as produced by Airfix. Many modellers have used the Sd7 gun tractor as a basis of the numerous self-propelled guns on this chassis and I am sure that someone in that time would have said "E up lads it ain't right". Miss Rivette Counteer has many more relations in military modelling than in railway modelling.

The Revell 1/72 model makes a lovely wargames Sd8 in 1/76 as it is much bigger.

The Airfix model looked wrong when placed with some 1/72 aircraft.  I ran the vernier calipers over it and compared it to the dimensions in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_7).  I don't have the figures to hand but I'm fairly sure it came out nearly exactly to 1/64.

• RMweb Premium

The Airfix model looked wrong when placed with some 1/72 aircraft.  I ran the vernier calipers over it and compared it to the dimensions in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_7).  I don't have the figures to hand but I'm fairly sure it came out nearly exactly to 1/64.

The Airfix 1/76 range of tanks artillery and army trucks is well known for being to scale. The kits themselves are a bit crude by modern standards but the only known major dimensional error is with the Panther tank. The designers of the kit measured the Panther in the RAC muesum and made the model to these dimensions. It had sunk on its suspension which translated in the model being slightly lower than it should be.

Thanks for all the advice. Did think the airfix guys look a but on the large size when sat next to a Cambrian model kit flat wagon. Will have a play around with the techniques mentioned but will need to figure out what space I have as I have ran out of 10mm ply for the base boards. Till then I can still work out the hight ect and have a look at the stairs at haymarket for inspiration next time I'm there

Archived