Project X

ffayolle

Guest Isambarduk

"... the rails should be on the cattle side of the posts ..."

And, if you have ever worked with livestock, you'll know why!    David

• 2 weeks later...

Fabrice,

if I may, a couple of suggestions.

Make the cylindrical "pin" that locates the post in the floor rather longer - it will make your posts more secure in the baseboard. 

You might want to look at some photos, the posts (maybe metal, concrete or wood) sometimes stood in cast iron bases, incorporating locking mechanisms, etc. or "ground level concrete blocks". of course, some times the post appeared to be "stuck in the ground", but they needed solid foundations.

Make one of the hinge pins marginally longer than the other as it aids assembly.  Alternatively, in some cases, the hinge pin was continuous through trunnions on the gate and post.  I guess this was also do do with the mechanism.

google images "level crossing gates" has some drawings, some photos, and the remains of the inevitable idiot that couldn't wait.

hth

Simon

Hi Fabrice

Glad it was helpful.

Assuming you're planning to use 3D printing for the posts, the material can be a bit brittle - I'd make your spigots as "fat" as the were, and as "long" as you now have them. They'll be a bit stronger that way.

And returning to the hinge pins - on reflection, I would not mould these pins in resin - I'd make both the gate, and the post, with holes, and then use brass wire or lace pins to make the pivots.

Best

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Fabrice

The turntable scene is very nice, a great little set-piece. The Terrier looks very good just there. Keep going with the vegetation along the bank at the rear, it's coming along fine. You could even have a couple of small trees there, thorn bushes perhaps?

John

Hi Fabrice,

The vegetation in front of the turntable really gives a depth to the picture, and I agree with John a few small trees or shrubs near the back scene would look great.

I have never seen a layout use scale size mature trees, I do not think they scale to well and they would look to overwhelming On most layouts.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• 2 months later...
Guest Isambarduk

Nice work, Fabrice!

In 'those days', the chap leaning on the cable drum would have been wearing a hat, I would be fairly certain; he very much looks to be a 'modern bloke' to me :-)   David

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived