LNWR Oerlikon EMU dimensions

t-b-g

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if you have seen it but Railway World did an article on the Oerlikons in March 1960 that included seating diagrams for all three cars. See below:

Vincent didn't have that and is most appreciative once again.

Another piece of the jigsaw falls into place!

Many thanks.

Tony

• Like 1

I would be interested to know if any RMweb members would be interested in idea to crowd fund a 3D printed Oerlikon in 4mm?

This is an idea in a very embryonic state currently and requires a lot of planning and engagement of various resources to make this project happen

Please can RM members PM me if they are interested as a starting point. Please also be aware that I will be unable to respond to enquires until 03/11/14 at the earliest due to other commitments.

Nigel

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Vincent has been beavering away in his workshop and has sent me some photos of what he has been up to, to show that all the information has been put to some use already!

These are the motor car underframes. He has done 4 and has 4 centre and 4 trailer cars to do.

You can see why the drawings and details were needed as he does like to put a reasonable amount of twiddly bits on the underframes and getting all the bits the right shape and size and in the right places would have been very tricky without the information kindly provided!

I have also put in a shot of where they will run.

Tony

post-1457-0-66789000-1414050167_thumb.jpg

post-1457-0-17745600-1414050177_thumb.jpg

post-1457-0-22572400-1414050195_thumb.jpg

post-1457-0-90113400-1414050237_thumb.jpg

post-1457-0-49417600-1414050249_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent workmanship. Where did you get those MBSO motor bogies/sideframes from - they are really convincing and capture the prototype's chunky appearance well.

Bern

I can't claim any credit as all I am doing is passing on photos of what Vincent has been up to.

For the motor bogie, he got hold of some cheap Hornby Southern EMUs (2 BIL from memory) and modified them. The main alteration was to take off the pick up shoe support and turn it upside down.

He was going to use the whole Hornby underframe and just fudge a few details but once the information became available via this thread he had a change of mind and decided to have a go at doing a more accurate and detailed job.

Tony

This was posted on youtube in march this year -

it captures LNWR "Oerlikon" Class for Euston - Watford services, 630v dc 3rd & 4th rail 3-car suburban emu, DMBTO, LMS No.28249 (B.R. No.M28249M) in LMS livery at the National Railway Museum, York.

• 5 years later...