Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Thanks for the pics Phil, Really good out in the sunshine. I really must mix my rakes a bit more rather than running one livery formations.

Thanks Andy,

I previously  used home-made single link couplings which worked fine in fixed rakes, but I am now moving over to Kadee's for coaching stock as this makes it far easier mix rakes up at will & give far more realistic variety in the workings on the line :)

Do you have any probs with the double sided tape losing its gum.?.

The rake looks very impressive. What would add that WR touch would be to add those yellow destination transfers that i have on my mk2's. I would post some pics on here but pc up the spout so im on chrome notebook and i havent a clue how to post.

No problems with the tape Rob as it is the high tack variety, you only get one go at applying the though so once stuck down they are not going to come up easily;

I would like those yellow destination boards, but they would have to be custom made as all services terminate at Withercombe :)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

I have also been inspired by watching Chaz's  & his superb 'Dock Green' thread. I was particularly interested in Chaz's removable wagon loads & thought I would adapt some of his techniques on my fleet of 18 16T Minerals .

These 16T'ers are used on the Withercombe branch for local coal traffic (the local coal man uses part of Withercombes old goods yard) this creates traffic in the form of three or four trucks per week, the rest are used in block workings of stone from a rail served quarry in the area. I did have four trucks loaded with coal & the rest loaded with stone, but these loads were permanent & moving these 16T'ers around permanently fully loaded seemed rather a pointless exercise. I have removed the loads & weathered the interiors of these 16T mineral   & adapted Chaz's ideas in a much cruder but hopefully effective way using the dense foam used in Heljan boxes with rectangles of plasticard which are an exact fit in the vehicles.....

post-6992-0-20568400-1445112639_thumb.jpg

So far I have made 18 stone loads & 6 Coal loads, as the vehicles can now be utilised for different traffic flows I may make other types of loads such as scrap metal...any more load ideas anyone? :) 

• Like 5

Hi Phill,

The overlays are 1 or 2mm over size CME :)

Thanks Phill-I suspect that I shall have to take one of my coaches to a show and have a look. 1-2mm larger would help as I am using the PC ends.

Traffic flows for 16Ts; as you say coal, stone, scrap perhaps, root vegetables as they used to be carried in them (in East Anglia), spoil/works debris (perhaps from an imaginary railway works project), sometimes timber was stacked in them too.

Atvb,

CME

I managed to apply transfers to the maroon mk1 BSK tonight & found the tip I found  for applying numbers very useful, the numbers (HMRS Presfix were first lined up on a thin strip of masking tape).....never found it easy to get these individual press fix numbers straight & I'm pleased with the result........

post-6992-0-19840900-1445280839_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Phill Dyson (onslaught832), on 19 Oct 2015 - 19:54, said:

I managed to apply transfers to the maroon mk1 BSK tonight & found the tip I found  for applying numbers very useful, the numbers (HMRS Presfix were first lined up on a thin strip of masking tape).....never found it easy to get these individual press fix numbers straight & I'm pleased with the result........

attachicon.gif20151019_183742-001.jpg

]

Hi Phill,

looking really good.

A tip that I was given some time ago for aligning HMRS numbers & letters was to scribe the 'cut' line on the sheet under all of the numbers/letters in the line parallel to the line and then when the numbers/letters are removed from the sheet, you line up the bottom of the carrier film and the numbers/letters are automatically straight.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

]

Hi Phill,

looking really good.

A tip that I was given some time ago for aligning HMRS numbers & letters was to scribe the 'cut' line on the sheet under all of the numbers/letters in the line parallel to the line and then when the numbers/letters are removed from the sheet, you line up the bottom of the carrier film and the numbers/letters are automatically straight.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's a useful method of alignment too.....these are the transfers I got from you BTW! :)

• 4 weeks later...

7mm Class 123 Inter-City DMU

HHaving discussed the possibility of building a 123 elsewhere on the forum & attempting some prototype cabs using Triang Big Big coach ends after finding the costs of the trade producing some prohibitive.

Here's the first cab I built......

post-6992-0-98184100-1447611394.jpg

For the rest of this power car I used a heavily modified S/H Lima MK1.......

post-6992-0-49328100-1447611438.jpg

The toilet end of the coach was cut away......

post-6992-0-08951200-1447611454.jpg

&  extended to scale length using scratchbuilt laminated cab sides...

post-6992-0-94361500-1447611466.jpg

post-6992-0-90710800-1447611480.jpg

I have also made a start on widening & extending the coach roof to suite the 123 power car.....

post-6992-0-30707800-1447611491.jpg

post-6992-0-48016400-1447611503.jpg

All this work will now be left overnight for the various glues on the mods to harden...

post-6992-0-66558100-1447611511.jpg

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 11

Very nice another use for Big Big ends, I am going to use them for a couple of 309's when I get the chance, just one thing though mate thin the sides of the plastic down in the windows as they equate to 1 foot thick pillars

Very nice another use for Big Big ends, I am going to use them for a couple of 309's when I get the chance, just one thing though mate thin the sides of the plastic down in the windows as they equate to 1 foot thick pillars

Keep me posted on that one.

I did enquire of PH designs for their 3D printed version but at a price alarming north of £100 per pair this is too expensive for me.

Paul R

Great work Phill. Can i ask if the floor recess is for the motor. If so why have you decided to power this power car as opposed to the other with less windows that would hide the motor?. 

Hi Rob,

The hole in the floor was where the bogie mount was, as the coach has now been stretched to scale length this mount would have been in the wrong location 

post-6992-0-29637800-1447666876.jpg

post-6992-0-91573000-1447666930.jpg

As you say the BSK style power car will be the best location for the power bogie  :)

• Like 4

In order to build the other power car I would ideally need to use a Lima BSK, so if anyone has a Lima O gauge BSK or Half Brake for sale could you contact me by PM please.

Hi Phill,

Ingenious modelling again, very inspiring.

I would love to say that I could help, but until I can get my coaches up and running I am keeping all off cuts and bits and bobs. I will keep and eye and ear out for you - hope to get to Reading soon. If Id been further down the road with Down Ampney, more than likely I could have helped out.

BTW, I have your landline, but do you want to PM me a mobile number, in case I am out and about and come across some bargains?

So glad to see you Posting this type of work on here, it keeps me inspired when I cant get to model-make.

Kindest regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...