Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

A very good combination Phill it looks superb, don't know if it's just me but IMO there's something about the face/cab front of the JLTRT Hymek that isn't right, probably a bit cheeky coming from someone with 2 bashed about Triang ones..

Rob

No, not at all Rob, I completely agree the JLTRT Hymek is not right IMHO......... I would say the Heljan  is by far the most accurate Hymek in 7mm.

Hi Randy,

The Hymek now has  on board sound & works very well too giving good Bluetooth range outdoors & vastly superior sound any DCC soundchips I have encountered. I have experimented with both Veho & Anker Bluetooth speakers,  the Veho performed well & gave good sound quality, but the Anker gave a more full sound & has  better bass response , the Anker also picks up Bluetooth signal better & was less prone to losing signal over longer range than the Veho.

I now have 3 Anker speakers & I am planning to have on board sounds on my Westerns & Warships too, I have already got a fairly complete sound file collection for Westerns & Warships although I may have to rethink the battery arrangements for these classes to provide room for the speakers.

Here is a pic showing the Hymek chassis with Anker Bluetooth speaker fitted......

attachicon.gif1-20160720_152331-001.jpg

Nice work Phill, I hope to follow suit.

Still not getting regular alerts from your Thread though - even though settings have been tweaked! I.T eh!!

ATVB

CME

Nice work there Phill, had a similar go with mine but to no real accuracy just what looked a bit better.

Rob

Yes,  that was what Idea I had too, to make them look better rather than delve too deeply into the inaccuracy of the Triang model. Looking at your pic I think you have got the balance just right   :)

BTW What did you use for roof lifting hooks on your Hymek ?

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

Yes,  that was what Idea I had too, to make them look better rather than delve too deeply into the inaccuracy of the Triang model. Looking at your pic I think you have got the balance just right   :)

BTW What did you use for roof lifting hooks on your Hymek ?

Hi Phill,

There is a US company that does them, Jon D., of Vine Street fame, used those on his Hymek (Triang), or very small split pins is another option - or, if one spoke nicely to Laurie at JLTRT, he may have some LWB ones?

Not sure about alerts .......I just follow threads I'm particularly interested in & click content/follow button which works fine :)

Got this one okay - not sure if I need to thank Andy York (he and I were both confused by it), I have some set for immediate alerts and some set for weekly and both were sporadic and outside of their parameters.....only me and I.T!??

ATVB

CME

A bit of prototype inspiration for me me & not to mention Hydraulic haulage at the East Lancs Railway on Sunday, here's a few pics ....

attachicon.gif832 2.jpg

attachicon.gif832.jpg

attachicon.gifPeak.jpg

attachicon.gif1-20160724_110035.jpg

Aah my old Hometown, it always looked black and white ..... well grey and dull most days being on the wetter side of the "Magic Mountains" 

Craig.

Hi Phill,

There is a US company that does them, Jon D., of Vine Street fame, used those on his Hymek (Triang), or very small split pins is another option - or, if one spoke nicely to Laurie at JLTRT, he may have some LWB ones?

Got this one okay - not sure if I need to thank Andy York (he and I were both confused by it), I have some set for immediate alerts and some set for weekly and both were sporadic and outside of their parameters.....only me and I.T!??

ATVB

CME

what's the company? :)

what's the company? :)

Hi Phill,

It was some time back but, Jon Dening wrote and told me that his were from 'Detail Associates' USA.

I still have a Hymek to do for a friend - hes very patient! So I haven't got around to ordering from them yet - I would probably try JLTRT.

Hope that helps - I had to delve into my archives to find that info LOL!!

ATVB

CME

Thanks Randy, your pioneering work with Bluetooth real loco sound has made a massive difference my railway......I have been searching for a workable sound system for R/C for some time. 

I have had an Anker in bits & I may have to resort to this method for other classes of loco, but this is not really needed for now with the Hymeks as I have interchangeable bodies sharing the same chassis, so the Hymek bodies are very easy to remove.

Phill...

When I started putting forward my ideas for using onboard Bluetooth sound on RMweb, (even though I never tried to hide the fact), I received unwarranted criticism because you have to run the trains to match the sounds you hear. What do you think, and is there anything you could suggest to improve things? It's not perfect, but it's high quality on the cheap.

Regards

Randall

Phill...

When I started putting forward my ideas for using onboard Bluetooth sound on RMweb, (even though I never tried to hide the fact), I received unwarranted criticism because you have to run the trains to match the sounds you hear. What do you think, and is there anything you could suggest to improve things? It's not perfect, but it's high quality on the cheap.

Regards

Randall

I wouldn't worry about the armchair critics Randy, thank's to you I have working sound at £15 per loco which is far superior to any DCC soundchip I have ever heard.

I would like some Bluetooth speakers with even longer range for my garden railway  & I am watching developments in wireless Bluetooth control too.

Do you have any further developments in mind?

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 1

Phill...

Regards

Randall

Hi Randy :) ,

I echo Phill's comments......

......I would say that you have done some sterling - and 'out of the box thinking' - work on the matter, so you should have no worries IMHO. Nothing 'man' made is ever perfect hence the need for continuous improvement and other such philosophies :)  :) .

I was telling Phill how I had had some great results from the sound that PC based flight sims use (very realistic with only a few exceptions whereby by some 'phaser' or 'flanger' sounds come through - the rock guitarists amongst you will know what I mean by such effects or FX ) all via ultra cheap 2:1 speaker system from ASDA (eg. the Cessna and Piper sounds were very good, I had been brought up around airfields and aircraft as my dad had a pilots licence, so these sounds really take me back). I had long been pondering if I could do similar for the railway. I had also started using small bluetooth type speakers for ambient sounds, such as birdsong etc on 'Draycott'. Over the years in terms of DCC sound I have only heard 3 decent decoder applications - three locos whereby I thought; 'yeah that could be just worth the additional cost'. One of the locos had the decoder sounds re-worked by a clever chap who took hours to do so. I had also written in a couple of mags about how sound doesnt 'scale' (so your armchair critics may have sound that follows the locos movements but it wont be to scale and the speakers within are, IMHHO, still compromised, a compromise, for model loco sound via DCC). As I always say though; each to their own and no value judgements made!

Two of the best layouts with sound that I have ever heard (seen)? Mostyn (at the time using generic under-baseboard type sounds with multiple speaks/2:1 surround-sound? - ie a superbly detailed fine-scale P4 'modern image' layout whereby the sound enhanced rather than detracted) and a narrow gauge layout using under baseboard speakers so that the sound followed the train - using a TRAX controls sound system.

A Link hereunder (the internet samples for such are slightly compromised as they have been copyrighted/masked and are also being played through the internet/PCs etc via compressed files. "(N.B. in reality, the sounds produced are more realistic than in these sound samples, because of the compression applied during the recording process)". I couldn't find a decent You Tube clip of Mostyn without the sound being contaminated by the usual model-railway exhibition type background noise - suffice to say that the over all effect of Mostyn is superb, including the sound, very, very convincing!

http://www.traxcontrols.com/modules_diesel_engine.htm

I understand why sound decoders are expensive - one is paying for the development of sound recording (from real locos) etc. - yet pricing could still be set at a premium as the market hasn't yet reached saturation (ie using 'market forces' and charging what the market will bear) - decoder based sound is slowly getting better but I have held off for the time-being.

Looking at and hearing the You Tube clips with blue-tooth sound I would say that it is very, very impressive......I wouldnt worry what others think!

I wouldn't worry about the armchair critics Randy, thank's to you I have working sound at £15 per loco which is far superior to any DCC soundchip  have ever heard.

I would like some Bluetooth speakers with even longer range for my garden railway  & I am watching developments in wireless Bluetooth control too.

Do you have any further developments in mind?

I agree Phill :) ........

.........So few decoders replicate, with the current tech in terms of speakers etc., the prototype all that well and cost a lot for the privilege - as I say some are better than others - without reiterating chapter and verse, sound doesn't scale, just like water and smoke dont scale. So those with real smoke, decoder based sound - and sometimes real water - are not modelling 'to scale' and thus their models are not accurate either! Thus cant really criticise blue-tooth based systems either! - at this time, sound in models is a compromise and can be a real 'Marmite' issue for many........

..........Even for me, sometimes the best sound is merely the wheel-beats over track joints made by MK1 coaching stock, ie after the loco has passed by all one hears are the wheel-beats of the coaches, Jack Ray et al used to achieve such to nigh on perfection.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

The newest edition to the Withercombe fleet, Class 33 33053. This loco will run later period of Withercombe's time periods ...

attachicon.gif1-20160605_213450.jpg

Now we are talking, what a beast. Looks like a Heljan model though how have you fitted your RC gear to it.

Cheers Peter.