RMweb

Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Not too much really Peter, the nose needs reshaping with filler & the side grills need sinking into the bodysides......the rest is just additional details really :)

I will crack on with mine this winter, but here's a pic of how far I have got with mine & the one in the background is just as we got them from Skytrex.

attachicon.gifpeak.JPG

Thanks Phill,

I shouldn't have asked as I quite fancy one now. lol  I will look forwards to your winter Peak project.

Really like the latest pics with the Maroon Western. 

Cheers Peter.

At the moment Phil, they are DC.  But I intend to get them DCC with sound :D

Good, will catch up with you nearer the date to meet up

Have you looked at the possibility's available with Bluetooth  speakers  if your main motivation for DCC is sound ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80412-cheap-superior-quality-onboard-sound-for-7mm/page-2

Have you looked at the possibility's available with Bluetooth  speakers  if your main motivation for DCC is sound ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80412-cheap-superior-quality-onboard-sound-for-7mm/page-2

Hi Phill,

Thanks for that link.  I had looked briefly at that system as a possibility before, but I gave it a second read and, well to be honest, the jury is still out.  It does seem a much cheaper alternative so I guess I should think about it a little further as to the pro's and cons.

Out of interest, what was it that made you do R/C on your outdoor railway?

Cheers

Lee

That's an easy one, no track cleaning & running in all weathers ;)

I did run it with DC for a few years, never looked back from going RC TBH.

I am starting to use Bluetooth sound now having flirted with the idea of DCC, but TBH I only would have gone for it for sound & Bluetooth is better quality sound at £15 a Loco..

Lovely photos Phill. :)

Interesting on the sound front Phill too.....

.....I have been - for SM32 (we already have a couple of sound fitted RC electric diesel outline locos) - experimenting with sound via the type of self contained speakers as used by modelsounds et al.....there are also some nice under-baseboard systems too (either DC or DCC) I was puzzling how I could miniaturise further and combine the two as I had been watching the occasional infommercial on blue-tooth type speakers (but they werent small enough). Once again I am glad to see that someone else has trailblazed the way. I still blow hot and cold over sound - yet as time has moved on it seems to be getting better - the three best locos I have heard was a GW kettle ('OO') that Ted S. (at SCC) tweaked, then a few years latter came the Lionheart Pannier and I have heard a couple of class 47's (not sure if they were SWD or Howes) in the interim....of course they are/were all DCC based systems and if one is not sure, then that becomes pricey experiment, if using both motors and gear-sets in a Heljan mainline loco (ie a whacking big decoder with a price to match - I understand the economics, but the price is a considered purchase for sure). I had almost resided myself to a DCC sound fitted tractor and possibly the Warship.

I have the Class 33 charged now and its fun (and wonderfully easy) using it on un-powered track - just like our SM32 stock - I think that I will still power the track for visiting locos though, seems like yu have come to a similar conclusion?

Keep em coming Phill, interesting stuff!

ATVB

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

At present I'm using Bluetooth to control sound only.....using a free Soundboard App which I have downloaded to my phone.

Randy Wales who developed the idea has posted in more detail here ....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80412-cheap-superior-quality-onboard-sound-for-7mm/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2323536

I am basically doing the same thing, Randy uses Veho, but I am using Anker speakers which for me give better performance & sound quality.....

post-6992-0-02057800-1468421613_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 1

Hi Phill...

Great to see you've made some progress with Bluetooth sounds... the quality really is good isn't it?

I've had lots of distractions recently and modelling has taken a back seat and I've lost interest (again) somewhat.

A chap from the Guild has been in touch having seen my thread on the Guild forum, and reading between the lines I think he's going to ask if I can give a demo at Telford.

Have you put the speaker and module onboard...if so, how? (which loco by the way?)

Randall

• Like 1

Hi Phill...

Great to see you've made some progress with Bluetooth sounds... the quality really is good isn't it?

I've had lots of distractions recently and modelling has taken a back seat and I've lost interest (again) somewhat.

A chap from the Guild has been in touch having seen my thread on the Guild forum, and reading between the lines I think he's going to ask if I can give a demo at Telford.

Have you put the speaker and module onboard...if so, how? (which loco by the way?)

Randall

Hi Randy,

The Hymek now has  on board sound & works very well too giving good Bluetooth range outdoors & vastly superior sound any DCC soundchips I have encountered. I have experimented with both Veho & Anker Bluetooth speakers,  the Veho performed well & gave good sound quality, but the Anker gave a more full sound & has  better bass response , the Anker also picks up Bluetooth signal better & was less prone to losing signal over longer range than the Veho.

I now have 3 Anker speakers & I am planning to have on board sounds on my Westerns & Warships too, I have already got a fairly complete sound file collection for Westerns & Warships although I may have to rethink the battery arrangements for these classes to provide room for the speakers.

Here is a pic showing the Hymek chassis with Anker Bluetooth speaker fitted......

post-6992-0-64995900-1469034797_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Phil,

Yet another great photo and that really is a great model of the Hymek.  Why do you have such a mix of parts to make up one loco?

With all that 'stuff' inside your locos you are never going to be short of weight and therefore traction.  Your locos must weight an tonne!!

I am becoming quite intrigued by the bluetooth sound, do you have to have your own sound files to use that system?

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

Phill....

I have to say I am absolutely thrilled that you've adopted Bluetooth for your loco sounds.

As your garden layout is no doubt the one that EVERYONE dreams of having, it's no small feat for me sharing some ideas with someone as highly respected as yourself.

I can see that you've left the Anker module intact, wheras I dismantled my Veho to make installation and operation as easy as possible. I mounted the module in such a way that I could reach the on/off switch from beneath the loco, and also drilled a small unobtrusive hole through which I can insert the battery charging plug. I presume you are removing the loco body to access the on/off switch and recharge the battery? My loco bodies are permanently reassembled.

Best regards

Randall

Hi Phil,

Yet another great photo and that really is a great model of the Hymek.  Why do you have such a mix of parts to make up one loco?

With all that 'stuff' inside your locos you are never going to be short of weight and therefore traction.  Your locos must weight an tonne!!

I am becoming quite intrigued by the bluetooth sound, do you have to have your own sound files to use that system?

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee, 

I did originally have 3 Heljan Hymeks, but these are a non starter for R/C as they use ridiculous  amounts of power & have virtually no room for batteries. So those 3 were sold & replaced with this hybrid chassis  with one Mashima & a very efficient gearbox to make a much more practicable proposition for non track powered Hymeks.

The loco's  actually weigh a lot less than bog standard Heljans.

My sound files are from my Youtube films of real loco's which are converted to MP3 & then edited down to basic sounds for the sound files such as 'Tickover'  or 'Start up'  etc

• Like 1

Phill....

I have to say I am absolutely thrilled that you've adopted Bluetooth for your loco sounds.

As your garden layout is no doubt the one that EVERYONE dreams of having, it's no small feat for me sharing some ideas with someone as highly respected as yourself.

I can see that you've left the Anker module intact, wheras I dismantled my Veho to make installation and operation as easy as possible. I mounted the module in such a way that I could reach the on/off switch from beneath the loco, and also drilled a small unobtrusive hole through which I can insert the battery charging plug. I presume you are removing the loco body to access the on/off switch and recharge the battery? My loco bodies are permanently reassembled.

Best regards

Randall

Thanks Randy, your pioneering work with Bluetooth real loco sound has made a massive difference my railway......I have been searching for a workable sound system for R/C for some time. 

I have had an Anker in bits & I may have to resort to this method for other classes of loco, but this is not really needed for now with the Hymeks as I have interchangeable bodies sharing the same chassis, so the Hymek bodies are very easy to remove.  

I did originally have 3 Heljan Hymeks, but these are a non starter for R/C as they use ridiculous  amounts of power & have virtually no room for batteries. So those 3 were sold & replaced with this hybrid chassis  with one Mashima & a very efficient gearbox to make a much more practicable proposition for non track powered Hymeks.

The loco's  actually weigh a lot less than bog standard Heljans.

My sound files are from my Youtube films of real loco's which are converted to MP3 & then edited down to basic sounds for the sound files such as 'Tickover'  or 'Start up'  etc

Ah ok, now I understand.  I was beginning to think that maybe no individual manufacturer had nailed the definitive Hymek.  I can understand why you do what you do now.

I'm amazed the locos are so light with all those batteries in them.  I guess they do not suffer from traction problems as I've seen pics on your thread of large rakes of stock being towed.

It's an interesting concept that Randy has proposed and you're obviously using and developing his ideas for your locos.  I guess having quite a collection of video/ sound samples available is a massive bonus.  Something I do not have for my 40's.  It does seem that he has other great ideas too, not just about sound!!

Keep posting the Hydraulics in the garden pics as they are just superb, I never tire of them at all.  Hope to see you Sunday on 832.

Cheers

Lee

For those not aware the Hymeks above is a combination of JLTRT chassis with PRMRP bogies & Heljan body shells.....

attachicon.gif1-1-1-20160710_154915.jpg

A very good combination Phill it looks superb, don't know if it's just me but IMO there's something about the face/cab front of the JLTRT Hymek that isn't right, probably a bit cheeky coming from someone with 2 bashed about Triang ones..

Rob